A John Wood Transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2007, 12:13 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A John Wood Transmission?

Hello:

I have a 7.3 2001 CC 4x4 with the 4R100. I had some issues with the trans. downshifting while towing. It felt as the engine was racing between shifts (in other words slipping), otherwise the trans felt normal when not towing.

In any case, I'm in the process of moving to <ST1California</ST1lace (and those Mountain passes do get steep), so rather than take chances, I thought I would just have the trans rebuilt before the next trip back there.

I called the two people who are well known for doing some of the best jobs on trans rebuilds. John Wood and BTS. I spoke to both of them, and decided that I would have John Wood do the trans. on this truck (after all, I'm only 200 miles away from his shop!).

Well, I'm EXTREMELY happy with my choice of builders.
<OI made the appointment a couple of weeks in advance, and showed up on time, to have it rebuilt that day. (one of the nice things about Johns shop, you're right there to see exactly what's being done to truly improve a stock trans.)

When they started taking the trans. apart, it was apparent the trans was not long for this world. It had started coming apart by itself, before the rebuild. The snap ring had already broken, and it was just luck that I made it to his shop.

While there, I watched as John custom made numerous different parts for my trans. He takes the time to get on his lathe and turnout truly custom parts that you can’t buy from Ford. John manufactures his parts to the exact tolerances HE requires. He also takes the time to explain why the trans failed, and why it won’t be having that problem again for a long, long, long time.

He also backs his words up with a terrific warranty.

<OAt any rate, while there I decided to have him install a gage set, and toss in a DP Tune as well.

<OI can tell you, when I drove out of his shop at 5.00pm that same afternoon, it felt like I was driving a new truck, one that had a ton of power (very, very, noticeable from the get go!), and shifted far better than it did, even when new.

<OWant to talk about CUSTOMER SERVICE? John offers it in spades. Frankly, I felt as if he was a valued friend by the end of the day.

Although it's a 400 mile round trip to his shop, it was well worth the drive to me. And I'm sure I'll be doing it aging soon for a few extras in the near future.

I guess what I’m trying to say, is when you see just how much knowledge this man has about the Ford Power Stroke trucks, you know you can trust him to get the job done right the first time (unlike some places I’ve been to in the past)!

John Wood has few equals when it comes to building a quality trans. If you are located anywhere in the <ST1Western United States</ST1, John Wood is your man.

If on the other hand you are in the South, I would not think twice about giving BTS a call for the same type of knowledge, service & warranty.

In any event, you won’t go wrong with either of these men, as they know their business, and they know it extremely well!

Good luck,
Richard<O

Old 11-02-2007, 12:29 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Is there a link for John Woods?

Old 11-02-2007, 02:07 PM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by rugermack
Is there a link for John Woods?
Here: http://jwtt.com/

Old 11-02-2007, 08:32 PM
SBChero
Mountain Pass
thats good to hear. i was thinking about his trannys, after mine goes south. which will probably be soon after my future mods.

Old 11-02-2007, 10:01 PM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

I have the John Wood VB installed in my tranny tuned to my DP and I love it! This truck shifts awesome now. I got mine from ITP Diesel, one of this sites sponsors. Dennis the owner works with John Wood and Jody from DP for all your PMS parts.

Old 11-02-2007, 11:27 PM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
if you dont mind me asking, how much did that run you

Old 11-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Tecman
Elder User
Good to hear about your experiance. Im looking to get a VB from him since my trans was recently rebuilt. Excellent write up!

Old 11-03-2007, 11:00 PM
Meatco1
Senior User
Was the question "how much did it cost you" directed to the John Wood Transmission, or the John Wood Valve Body?

Thanks,

Richard

Old 11-03-2007, 11:39 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
I've heard good things about his builds. Glad he got you taken care of. A fresh trans that's built properly can do wonders for our trucks. Being that close to him I can see how the decision was easier.

Old 11-04-2007, 12:02 AM
nhill2090
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Meatco1
Was the question "how much did it cost you" directed to the John Wood Transmission, or the John Wood Valve Body?

Thanks,

Richard

well i actually woudlnt mind both

thanks

Old 11-04-2007, 11:59 AM
HighOctane
PMS: an obsession

I purchased my VB from ITP for $225 if I recall correctly. I ordered this and my DP at the same time and had them designed for each other.