Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Waste gate - Exhaust back pressure???

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2007, 08:37 AM
TRICOMEDIC19
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Waste gate - Exhaust back pressure???

I was told to make sure that my waste gate on my 2000 F250 SD wasnt stuck in the shut position... Well, last night while I was changing the fuel filter and cleaning the bowel out real good, I noticed this valve on the top / back area of the turbo.. So, to make sure it's working, I tried to move it.. I couldnt BUDGE that valve no matter WHAT I tried. I took the hose off and still couldnt move it.. It was like pushing a 50 lb spring!!!
The plunger is all the way in the IN position. you can NOT push the rod out 1/2".

So, is that open or closed and why is it so hard to move?

Also, a FORD TECH told me that he puts Sea Foam in his bowel each time he changed his filter for a mega dose to the injectors.. what do you guys think about that idea??

Old 10-30-2007, 08:59 AM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
It is the EBPV you want to check to make sure it is not stuck shut. The actuator for that is in the pedestal the turbo sits on. The EBPV itself sits in between the turbo exhaust scroll outlet and the downpipe.

You want your wastegate to be closed normally or you would not make any boost. That valve on top of the turbo towards the back is the wastegate actuator. The gold colored rod connects to the wastegate and you should not be able to push the rod out by hand.

I don't know about the seafoam. You're probably better off pouring some Stanadyne or Diesel Kleen into the bowl instead.

Old 10-30-2007, 09:03 AM
TRICOMEDIC19
Junior User
Can anyone post some pics of this EBPV and what it should look like in the open position?

Old 10-30-2007, 11:09 AM
7.3 4X4
Freshman User
I don't have pictures, but I just looked at mine so I may be able to describe it to you. Lay on top of the engine on the right (passenger) side and use a mirror to look at the bottom rear of the turbo. It's tough to see, but the EBPV shaft has a tab on it that should be against a cast iron boss. If it's against the boss, it's fully open.

Last edited by 7.3 4X4; 10-30-2007 at 11:10 AM. Reason: typo
Old 10-30-2007, 06:39 PM
FordTruckNoob
Identifies as He/Him/Noob
Received 2,920 Likes on 1,932 Posts
Here's a picture. The solid arrow is pointing at one of the bolts holding the EBPV to the turbo's exhaust scroll.

Old 10-30-2007, 06:49 PM
dcf4x4
Laughing Gas
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
You would certainly know if it was stuck shut. The hissing would be a huge give away and it would feel like you were trying to move your truck through molasses.

the part that fails the most is the sensor that turns it on during cold start up. You can actually convert it to a manual setup and use it for a brake. I use it myself and I can still activate it for cold start up.

Just look up EBPV brake and you should have tons of reading.