6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Synthetic CJ-4 Oil?

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2007, 06:38 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for the heads up. Could have sworn looking at their literature it was CJ-4- will put on my reading glasses tomorrow and verify when I go to buy it. Otherwise I'll use the online place you mentioned.

Old 10-31-2007, 06:51 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by skl
Thanks for the heads up. Could have sworn looking at their literature it was CJ-4- will put on my reading glasses tomorrow and verify when I go to buy it. Otherwise I'll use the online place you mentioned.
Yes, look closely on the bottle for the ratings, as Valvoline website and API do not list a CJ-4 5W-40 synthetic for Valvoline. Also the truck stops in your area may start to get it now that winter is approaching.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:18 PM
jam105
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by blue ghost
I know what Caveat Emptor means. What makes you think that a manufacture can't put maple syurp in a bottle. Tell me how API is going to prevent that.
Caveat emptor is Latin for "Let the buyer beware".

Old 11-01-2007, 06:19 AM
avmike
Junior User
My mistake, the company is Chevron not Exxon.

Old 11-01-2007, 12:22 PM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by avmike
My mistake, the company is Chevron not Exxon.
Chevron (also markets Texaco), currently as of 10/08/2007 only has one oil that is API CJ-4 certified, and that is the 15W-40 dino Delo 400 LE. Their 5W-40 Delo 400 Synthetic is only API CI-4+ certified.

If you saw Chevron Delo 15W-40, it is a dino oil, check the labeling on the package closely.

http://www.chevrondelo.com/en/delowo...co/default.asp
http://eolcs.api.org/DisplayLicenseI...LicenseNo=0090

Old 11-01-2007, 01:49 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
It helps to put on the reading glasses... the Valvoline 5-40 is NOT CJ-4 so I ordered some Mobil 1 ESP online- got tired of calling around and not finding it here yet. Maybe by next spring but a case of the Mobil 1 will last till then...5-40 synthetic should crank over a little easier this winter!!

Old 11-06-2007, 08:22 PM
skl
Mountain Pass
If anyone is looking for the new Mobil 1 CJ-4 I just got a case from the link posted above in this thread. Came very quickly and it's on sale for the time being... and it IS API certified CJ-4 fully sythetic 5-40.

Old 11-11-2007, 07:10 PM
alremkin
Junior User
I bought 2 cases of Duron E Syn 10-40 oil. In my area area, central BC, ford only carries dino 10-30 which according to the owner manual isn't the proper winter oil for my area. Luckily I read about Petro Can having syn CJ-4 oil on this board still when I asked for it in Vancouver, BC no one had it and I was refered to Prince George. So I called Prince George Petro Can and got them to reserve 2 cases for and picked up a few days later on my way through. The only modification other than winter tires I'm planning is the instalation of a FS-2500 By-Pass oil filter.

Old 11-11-2007, 10:01 PM
pilotshot
Senior User
ALREMKIN:

I need to change oil in Chilliwack, BC area. Mobil DELVAC 1 ESP 5W-40 will not be available in BC until January. The Petrocan Duron*-E API CJ4 in synthetic oil seems to fit the bill except it is in 10W-40 not 5W-40. I live in a cold climate like you yet will be towing a 5th wheel in California this winter. The Ford Manual only recommends the 5W-40 or 15W-40 for trailer towing. Will the 10W-40 meet this and keep Ford happy with warranties? If so, where can I find the Duron besides PG?

Old 11-12-2007, 01:11 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by pilotshot
ALREMKIN:

I need to change oil in Chilliwack, BC area. Mobil DELVAC 1 ESP 5W-40 will not be available in BC until January. The Petrocan Duron*-E API CJ4 in synthetic oil seems to fit the bill except it is in 10W-40 not 5W-40. I live in a cold climate like you yet will be towing a 5th wheel in California this winter. The Ford Manual only recommends the 5W-40 or 15W-40 for trailer towing. Will the 10W-40 meet this and keep Ford happy with warranties? If so, where can I find the Duron besides PG?
You will be fine with the 10W-40 Duron, FMC used 5W-40 because that is the most common weight of synthetic diesel oil, and 15W-40 is the most common dino weight. The Duron 10W-40 is definitely a minority oil weight for diesel engines, but you will be fine. It has the same pour point as the 5W-40 Delvac (-48C).

http://www.mobil.com/USA-English/Lub..._ESP_5W-40.asp

www.petro-canada.ca/pdfs/IM8028e.pdf

Old 11-14-2007, 11:31 PM
alremkin
Junior User
Does anyone here know if installing a FS-2500 By Pass Oil Filter will void the Warranty? It a complicated issue with the oil testing to extend the period of the oil changes, but from what they say at the FS-2500 site with testing you can get 100,000 miles or more between oil changes with much less wear on the engine than normal oil changing it every 5k miles. I imagine the sticking point would be if/when there's engine damage one would have to have proof of following proper proceedures.

Old 11-15-2007, 01:16 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alremkin
Does anyone here know if installing a FS-2500 By Pass Oil Filter will void the Warranty? It a complicated issue with the oil testing to extend the period of the oil changes, but from what they say at the FS-2500 site with testing you can get 100,000 miles or more between oil changes with much less wear on the engine than normal oil changing it every 5k miles. I imagine the sticking point would be if/when there's engine damage one would have to have proof of following proper proceedures.
Go over to the BITOG forum, and read up on bypass oil filtration, UOA and extended OCI. I think you will find that 100K OCI is a huge stretch.
www.bobistheoilguy.com/
www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php

As far as warranty issues, that is iffy at best. FMC has come down pretty hard on the 6.4 and modifications. Read your FMC Warranty manual and oil change intervals in the Supplemental Diesel manual carefully (see pages 41, 42, 55. FMC states that all oils even sythetic must be changed per the interval outlined in the FMC manual. Also read any other documentation you signed from FMC during your purchase.

I am not saying you cannot potentially run extended OCI with a bypass system and following the advice of the UOA, but you need to do some research on this over at BITOG. Filter Solutions is padding the results from their bypass system quite a bit.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:44 PM
alremkin
Junior User
Hm, ok I've had a first look at the oil site. What would you say a reasonable OCI is with a By-Pass filter once a year or 25,000 miles? The basic idea of super cleaning the oil seems a good, but it also makes things more complicated with warranties and what not. This is compounded by the fact that I live in a cold winter area central BC. I like the truck and would like to see it last 20 years, that's my motivation.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:17 AM
blackhat620
Postmaster
Originally Posted by alremkin
Hm, ok I've had a first look at the oil site. What would you say a reasonable OCI is with a By-Pass filter once a year or 25,000 miles? The basic idea of super cleaning the oil seems a good, but it also makes things more complicated with warranties and what not. This is compounded by the fact that I live in a cold winter area central BC. I like the truck and would like to see it last 20 years, that's my motivation.
It is going to be hard to give you a reliable OCI figure since the 6.4 and its emissions system is so new. You are going to have to do UOA every 5k miles for awhile until there are enough UOA reports and history that the lab doing the UOA can help you determine a realistic OCI. FMC says 10K or 6-months for "normal" driving conditions, and 5K or 3-months for "special operating conditions" (cold -10 or below is a special operating condition).

You are using a good synthetic oil, and with bypass filtration you may be able to get to a 15K OCI, just really hard to say since the engine is so new. On the 6.0 with its HPO fired fuel injection system & EGR system, 7K is about the max OCI obtainable.

The factors that determine OCI are more than the cleaner oil do to the bypass filter, you also have add pack degredation and oil shear. The two main things that are looked at on UOA reports for oil life is TBN & Viscosity. When either of these reach there minimum threshold the oil must be changed. The new 6.4 with its EGR & DPF systems, dump alot of soot in the oil, yes ULSD is supposed to help reduce this, and the new API CJ-4 oil is supposed to help with this as well, but currently there just is not enough long term information on the motor to determine how long and OCI can safely be achieved.

Since your main concern is longevity, i would install a bypass oil filtration system either Oil Guard (FTE Sponsor) or Filter Solutions. Even if you do not achieve a long OCI, the benefit of cleaner oil do to the bypass filtration will result in less wear on the motor. In addition i would definitely install a coolant filter from Dieselsite (FTE Sponsor). Coolant filters are very important, as the casting sand in the motor causes the oil coolers to plug & fail and the water pumps to fail prematurely.

www.oilguard.com/Ford6.php
http://www.dieselsite.com/index.asp?...RODGROUP&ID=13

Last edited by blackhat620; 11-16-2007 at 02:21 AM.
Old 11-19-2007, 12:23 AM
pilotshot
Senior User
FORD SERVICE BULLETIN UPDATE-6.4L PSD OPERATING & MAINTENANCE REQUIREMENTS: DATED 11/16/2007

I will summarize the bulletin to save some space on this thread

OIL
A. Use only engine oil SAE viscosity for the anticipated ambient temperatures contained in the Owner's Manual
B. Use only Motorcraft or equivalent oil conforming to Ford Spec WSS-M2C171-E or CJ-4 or CJ-4/SM.
C.Motorcraft CJ-4 5W40 oil is expected Jan. 1 2008. At present there is no availability of Motorcraft 5W40,0W30 or 0W40.

COLD STARTING
A. Idle engine for 30 seconds prior to incresasing RPM. The Owner's Supplementary Guide presently shows 15 seconds. It will be updated.
B. Use block heaters below temps of -23C/-10F.
C. Use only ULSD Fuel Cetane Additives and/or Anti-Gel that are intended for the ULSD 6.4 PSD.
D. Do not use alcohol based additives as it may damage the fuel injectors/system.
E. Remember to replace both fuel Filters at same time. Some after market suppliers miss the FCM/HFCM under the rail. It will result in hard starting, driveability and injector damage.
F. Drain the water from the FCM/HFCM Fuel conditioner Module under the rail monthly or when WATER IN FUEL warning light comes on, which ever occurs first.

D.

Quick Reply: Synthetic CJ-4 Oil?