Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

99 F-250 diesel smokes when under 35 degrees

Old 10-26-2007, 11:12 AM
Deiselman
New User
Deiselman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Unhappy 99 F-250 diesel smokes when under 35 degrees

Hi all. Has anyone had this problem before? I put a new relay on it last year and it still smokes embarassingly when it gets under 35 degrees. I mean big smoke! Blue and white until it warms up some. I haven't had any problems all summer, now as I figured, it is returning. Could it be injector o-rings? Someone mentioned valve seals, but I know from experience that if that were the case, it would smoke every time all year long when started. I need to get working on it soon. Last year when it was -20 degrees out, it sat there and smoked until completely warmed up getting less and less as it hit temperature. I would hate to have to take it to the dealer. They will have replaced everything related whether it needed it or not!

Old 10-26-2007, 11:13 AM
just another truck
Post Fiend
just another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputationjust another truck has a superb reputation
honestly, dont worry about it, unless it is seeping into the neighbors house.....If you were local, I'd call you over to watch mine smoke it up in the morning during these cooler times. but yeah, starting around 35 and below for me as well, and the cooler it gets, i am sure you know.

Last edited by just another truck; 10-26-2007 at 11:16 AM.
Old 10-26-2007, 11:22 AM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Some smoke after cold crank in the winter time is normal. However, if smoke is getting worse, that's usually a sign of one or more bad glow plugs. Ohm them out to find the ones that need replacement.

Also the colder it gets, the more your truck will smoke - even with healthy glow plugs. My truck doesn't start smoking until about 25 degrees. At -15 degrees, it's eye watering if you walk by the tailpipe.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM
Deiselman
New User
Deiselman is starting off with a positive reputation.
What should the ohm readings be? Check with key on or off?

Old 10-26-2007, 11:49 AM
clintbonnie
Postmaster
clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.clintbonnie has a very good reputation on FTE.
Originally Posted by Deiselman
What should the ohm readings be? Check with key on or off?
Like they say, alittle smoke when it is cold is pretty normal... But

Get an ohm meter (get a digital readout), you can check your glow plugs/injectors by unconnecting the 9 pin connectors at both of the valve covers (near top edge) and use the following info:

GGIICIIGG
G = Glow Plug
I = Injector +
C = Injector -
Ohms between the G and block Ground should be 0.1 - 2.0 ohms.
Ohms between the I and C one at a time if one or more is > 5 ohms, it will point to the which gasket connector is open and not making connection.. or UVC harness being shorted.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.