South Carolina Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: SC_Hoaty

Finally breaking ground!

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2007, 06:23 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Finally breaking ground!

Today's the day (well, yesterday, actually)! The contractor started clearing our driveway in SC. We have a flag lot, and so far, he is clearing the entrance. Hopefully, I can get up to lay out the driveway this winter. It's not much, but it's a start!

Old 11-15-2007, 04:39 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool! I'll have to run up and check that out this weekend...

Old 11-15-2007, 07:21 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Congrats on getting things underway! Make sure ya let us know when your comming up Jay

Old 11-15-2007, 09:46 AM
sysman_rick
Senior User
Let's have a GTG at the driveway !

Old 11-15-2007, 11:20 PM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
Originally Posted by sysman_rick
Let's have a GTG at the driveway !
That would seem strange w/out the new-future to be home owner being there...

Or add a bit of "Extreme home makeover" flare to it and have a live video feed...

Old 11-16-2007, 05:31 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
It'd be alright...............Funny thing officer we were out here collecting firewood and found a bunch of beer.

Old 11-16-2007, 06:11 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
You gonna "lay out" the drive for mudding or make it a 1/8th mile for speed? I don't remember which way your truck is set-up.......
Congrats anyway.....I sure hope he leaves as many of those tress as he can.

Welcome to the Palmetto State.

Bob

Old 11-16-2007, 12:24 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by 92F150Flare
I sure hope he leaves as many of those tress as he can.
Bob
Good point! Theres too many trees disappearing around here with the subdivisions that go in.

Old 11-16-2007, 02:35 PM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by 99Trigger3_0
That would seem strange w/out the new-future to be home owner being there...

Or add a bit of "Extreme home makeover" flare to it and have a live video feed...
It'll be just like "Extreme Makeover" - the homeowner is 'vacationing' in Florida!
We plan to leave most of the trees. The entry way is all crappy pines, so I want them out of there. But the rest of the property is mature hardwoods- mostly red and white oak, with a few poplars and hickories. I expect to clear about 1-1/2 to 2 acres at most. We're lucky in that there is little underbrush- you can walk around comfortably under the trees. I'll gradually do some thinning to let the big trees reach their potential, and provide me with firewood!

Old 11-17-2007, 03:51 AM
FTE Trigger
Postmaster
So this current timeline still puts you in SC late Dec. or mid Jan.?

Old 11-17-2007, 06:18 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
I wish! I might get to visit between Christmas and New Year's. The problem is that I have very little vacation time at my job (one week a year) and since I'm the boss, it's hard to take additional time off. What I'd like to do is get a slab poured and trusses built ahead of time, and then have a barn raising. I think with everything ready to go, I could have a barn up and tight to the weather in a long week (9 days). I have several friends and relatives who are up for it, plus any local help I can hire (a friend of mine used college kids for manual labor). When I get ready to build a house, I'll have the foundation done, then quit my job, and move to SC and start building. I have budgeted a year, which I think is doable on a small simple house with very basic decor. Another option would be to have a shell built, then do the rest my self. A lot of it depends upon how much money we net from the sale of our house, and my health/ambition at the time. Right now, my health is excellent, but I'm 54- ya never know. The only thing keeping us in FL is waiting for our son to finish college, since we have to maintain FL residency to keep low tuition and scholarships. He should graduate in 2 years from Dec., so I could start building in as little as a year. If real estate looks any better, we might put the house on the market as early as next summer, then rent until we are ready to start our build. Wish us luck!

Old 11-17-2007, 06:28 AM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FLgargoyle
If real estate looks any better, we might put the house on the market as early as next summer, then rent until we are ready to start our build. Wish us luck!
Yer gonna need a bunch!! The Realtor that sold our place is an old friend and she said we were lucky to have sold it when we did. Real estate is in the drink and they don't see a rise anytime soon. You might want to think about throwing it on the market earlier if you can.

Are you getting any cash for the pines that were taken down? From the pic i see a stack of straight ones.

Last edited by TheWiz427; 11-17-2007 at 06:30 AM.
Old 11-17-2007, 09:45 AM
FLgargoyle
Fleet Mechanic
In a way, yes. The guy doing the clearing is deducting some of the cost in exchange for selling the pine- I think it's only fit for pulp anyhow. They're straight, but pretty small, and Virginia pine, which isn't worth much. He took out a couple oaks, which a friend of mine got for firewood. When we clear for the house, I'm hoping to have some of the oak milled up to use in the house- maybe some wide board flooring.

Old 11-17-2007, 02:57 PM
TheWiz427
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by FLgargoyle
When we clear for the house, I'm hoping to have some of the oak milled up to use in the house- maybe some wide board flooring.
That would be cool!