1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

460 thermostat housing predicament

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2016, 09:46 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Received 727 Likes on 259 Posts
460 thermostat housing predicament

ok... ready for the next challange...

460... using Performance distributor (HEI = big sucker)
had to get a modified thermostat housing to clear the distributor
realized today that the housing is pointed directly at the back of my shiny a/c compressor AND in perfect alignment with my serpentine belt.

tried to think of a work around and looked at 100K pictures of housings on the information cul-de-sac... found some possible fits but high $$.

I need to still be able to clear the distributor housing AND point the hose in a different direction... mostly straight toward radiator.

I'm trying to find a swivel housing that will clear the dist and still turn the hose but can't seem to find a 460 version

questions.... Will another version of ford engine 302,351,400 ?? work on a 460 performer manifold ??

My afternoon project was an attempt to make one. I've got the mounting flange cut out of 3/8 plate and ready... I'm thinking of finding another 460 housing... cutting off the neck where it attaches to the flange and welding it together... or...
fabbing one up out of some tubing (if I can find 1-1/2" stuff... that might be the best choice cause that existing housing looks like cast iron...and that don't weld good do it ???

... pics below... I'm open to all suggestions

thanks
John
if ya'll keep hanging around... I'm gonna keep coming up with these problems

Attached Images    
Old 03-15-2016, 09:53 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
I'm sure that's cast iron, I wouldn't trust any "weld" in it. Why not fab one out of steel?

Old 03-15-2016, 10:00 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Received 22 Likes on 12 Posts
I would not trust welding it either . Just like the crap blue sealer under it .
Have one mocked up and tig welded . A good stainless , good welder ... Not too hard to do .

Old 03-15-2016, 10:03 PM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by JWC 3
I would not trust welding it either . Just like the crap blue sealer under it .
Have one mocked up and tig welded . A good stainless , good welder ... Not too hard to do .
well, the crap blue sealer is all I had... this one has no o-ring... stainless would be the way to go... hell, I work for a pipefitting outfit I should be able to find at least ONE SS welder

time to start scrounging stuff.... ya'll work on this tonite.... I"m going to bed

thanks, I'll pick it up in the morning... and ah... the stainless would look good polished

Old 03-15-2016, 10:08 PM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
Yes . Find a good welder , fab man , and have him make you a nice housing to fit your build .
Not trying to kick you in the teeth , but I hate the blue crap .....
It should not be too hard of a fab .

Old 03-15-2016, 11:38 PM
Nicholas+
Senior User
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Old 03-16-2016, 12:02 AM
JWC 3
Lead Driver
See above .... ( High $ )

Old 03-16-2016, 12:28 AM
jerry_s
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Out of curiosity, how would you go about fabricating one of these from scratch? I would go with the Summit Racing option because I wouldn't even know where to start when fabbing!

Looking at the summit piece, if you had a bunch of tools I could see buying 4 pieces of steel - 2 tubular pieces, one bigger and one smaller to match the pattern on the summit and two flat pieces. One becomes the piece that is bolted on the engine and the other is welded to the larger tube. But now it seems like you would have to bevel out enough on the piece that bolts to the engine to allow the other flat piece to fit under it and allow the larger tube to turn. Is this how it would be fab'd?

Old 03-16-2016, 02:08 AM
Normalbloke
Senior User
Use an MSD dizzy with the smaller cap. That's what I did on my 460.

Old 03-16-2016, 06:27 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
don't think so Nick... as the distributor leans toward the outlet. With a straight vertical side, the outlet would hit the distributor.. it needs to be smaller at the top /_\... and I've seen a couple made that way but don't know if it will be enough and hate to spend 100+ bucks to find out.. I'm cheap and it would probably cost me 15 bucks (restocking) to find out...

Old 03-16-2016, 06:31 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
Originally Posted by jerry_s
Out of curiosity, how would you go about fabricating one of these from scratch? I would go with the Summit Racing option because I wouldn't even know where to start when fabbing!

Looking at the summit piece, if you had a bunch of tools I could see buying 4 pieces of steel - 2 tubular pieces, one bigger and one smaller to match the pattern on the summit and two flat pieces. One becomes the piece that is bolted on the engine and the other is welded to the larger tube. But now it seems like you would have to bevel out enough on the piece that bolts to the engine to allow the other flat piece to fit under it and allow the larger tube to turn. Is this how it would be fab'd?

that is sorta what I'm thinking Jerry.. I've already cut and finished the bottom plate (flange) that mounts to the manifold. Now I'm cyphering the best approach to the rise and run for the neck and avoiding the distributor housing...

@NB ... that would also work, but I like the Performance Dist and got $$$ invested here. Wandering the net I see that this is already a known problem but my ideal solution still eludes me.

j

Old 03-17-2016, 11:58 AM
jniolon
old and in the way
so here's todays progress... spent yesterday gathering up SS pipe and fittings and making a new flange in SS

I've found nothing commercially that will work... even the flat flange with a straight 1.5" nipple will interfere...

so... here's my latest try... get this tigged up and polished and maybe it won't look like homemade hammered dog **it

last shot is with the camera at the radiator connection point so the rise and bend won't be too bad

john

Attached Images    
Old 03-17-2016, 01:03 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
I would fabricate just a housing/water neck for the manifold to replace the thermostat housing then split the upper hose with a double housing to hold the thermostat. That way the housing at the manifold could stay permanent.

Old 03-17-2016, 01:21 PM
Smitty49
Senior User
Old 03-07-2022, 08:40 AM
dfn4657
New User
460 in a 1997 f250 problems

Originally Posted by jniolon
that is sorta what I'm thinking Jerry.. I've already cut and finished the bottom plate (flange) that mounts to the manifold. Now I'm cyphering the best approach to the rise and run for the neck and avoiding the distributor housing...

@NB ... that would also work, but I like the Performance Dist and got $$$ invested here. Wandering the net I see that this is already a known problem but my ideal solution still eludes me.

j
just wondering what alternator bracket you used on your truck . The one that I got from CVF makes the alternator hit the cross member.

Quick Reply: 460 thermostat housing predicament