6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van

2006 to 2008 tow mirror swap??

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2007, 09:46 AM
Storm
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 18vtx00
we are slow today maybe I will look at the schematics and see what the circuit involves and post it..I am assuming it uses the SJB or another module as you have described it's operation.
As far as I can tell, 99-07 switches are direct to the mirror..

The problem is, the motors on the 99-07 mirrors are on one side versus the 08 Mirrors they flipped the motor.. Now based on wiring and the switch, the easiest way would be to reverse the polarity.. However that is the task i'm having difficulty with..

Old 10-25-2007, 09:53 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Smile

if you chose the non-memory and non-telescoping mirrors there are 2 types or circuits depending on early or late build, and these would be the easiest to wire into the fold back option. early build is a bit simpler in design as it appears and uses a power fold relay on page 4, on page 6 it shows conjuction w/ the SJB for the heater relay, on page 7 it shows the early build electrochromatic inside mirror unit and the SJB accessory delay relay, page shows the late build and has the same componenents but an added video camera circuit #DMP19 w/ park aid.

Thes electrochromatic modules are made into the mirrors and must know if the mirror is in opened or closed . the early build is much simpler of a circuit design to make work on a different year truck, if you make the switch fit in the armrest I think it will work out okay..It does not specify how to tell early build from late build,I just spent some time at the parts counter and there is no way to determine late or early build unless you have a truck and the required otions you have, so the early late build wiring concern will be on a case by case depending on which mirrors you have.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:01 AM
Storm
Postmaster
if you chose the non-memory and non-telescoping mirrors there are 2 types or circuits depending on early or late build, and these would be the easiest to wire into the fold back option. early build is a bit simpler in design as it appears and uses a power fold relay on page 4, on page 6 it shows conjuction w/ the SJB for the heater relay, on page 7 it shows the early build electrochromatic inside mirror unit and the SJB accessory delay relay, page shows the late build and has the same componenents but an added video camera circuit #DMP19 w/ park aid.

Thes electrochromatic modules are made into the mirrors and must know if the mirror is in opened or closed . the early build is much simpler of a circuit design to make work on a different year truck, if you make the switch fit in the armrest I think it will work out okay..It does not specify how to tell early build from late build,I just spent some time at the parts counter and there is no way to determine late or early build unless you have a truck and the required otions you have, so the early late build wiring concern will be on a case by case depending on which mirrors you have.
Awesome! Thanks

Now I haven't seen the switch in person... Do you think its possible we could fab it into the arm rest?

Old 10-25-2007, 10:21 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Let Me Rip The Panel Of A Lot Truck,,will Let You Knwo In A While..

Old 10-25-2007, 10:38 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
It will fit in the same spot as my '03, switch is larger in width but shorter because the older stlye molex plugs in perpendicular to the alxes and the '08 style plugs in w/ a smaller molex and parallel the the alxes, you only need a 1' or so round hole-stock door panel swithc plate has a 1' hole w/ the front and rear corners flattened out,could be done w/a file or drememel tool, may even fit w/a rround hole. then it just snaps in w/ 2 attached pressure clips. the '03 has what appears to be a slightly larger hole beause the left to right select switch is in front of the joystick. Would be nice if we were albe to purchase the pigtail for the new style switch too.I think i will do this..as soon as I get some $$$ for the mirrors,
we also had one on the lot w/ power telescoping and that switch is much larger than the normal mirror position switch- 1.5" square.

Old 10-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Storm
Postmaster
It will fit in the same spot as my '03, switch is larger in width but shorter because the older stlye molex plugs in perpendicular to the alxes and the '08 style plugs in w/ a smaller molex and parallel the the alxes, you only need a 1' or so round hole-stock door panel swithc plate has a 1' hole w/ the front and rear corners flattened out,could be done w/a file or drememel tool, may even fit w/a rround hole. then it just snaps in w/ 2 attached pressure clips. the '03 has what appears to be a slightly larger hole beause the left to right select switch is in front of the joystick. Would be nice if we were albe to purchase the pigtail for the new style switch too.I think i will do this..as soon as I get some $$$ for the mirrors,
we also had one on the lot w/ power telescoping and that switch is much larger than the normal mirror position switch- 1.5" square.
Question lies now, can we wire the switches with the factory harness and it work lol...

Old 10-25-2007, 10:50 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Storm
Question lies now, can we wire the switches with the factory harness and it work lol...
I THINK IT WILL SIMPLE CIRCUITS ONCE YOU HAVE THE MODULE AND THAT IS IN THE MIRROR HOW ABOUT YOU LET ME KNOW I HAVE A WAITER NOW!!! LMAO!!!!

Old 10-25-2007, 11:40 AM
Storm
Postmaster
I THINK IT WILL SIMPLE CIRCUITS ONCE YOU HAVE THE MODULE AND THAT IS IN THE MIRROR HOW ABOUT YOU LET ME KNOW I HAVE A WAITER NOW!!! LMAO!!!!
LOL You rawk thanks.. Any chance you can find out what the price is on the switch, just normal (no fold/telescopic function)..

Old 10-25-2007, 11:44 AM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
LOL You rawk thanks.. Any chance you can find out what the price is on the switch, just normal (no fold/telescopic function)..

sure but the one w/ fold is the one we want isn't it?? or are you swapping for looks and larger glass only??

Old 10-25-2007, 11:49 AM
Storm
Postmaster
I've already swapped.. I'm running 08 Mirrors now.. But mine are manual extend/fold.. So the switch I'm looking to do is that one.. I sell more of those then I do the ones that fold/extend by power..

Old 10-25-2007, 12:09 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
I've already swapped.. I'm running 08 Mirrors now.. But mine are manual extend/fold.. So the switch I'm looking to do is that one.. I sell more of those then I do the ones that fold/extend by power..
So you want an '08 mirror switch w/ manual extend and fold?? why not just use the '04 switch and swap the circuits by function or do they work differently?? I wa under the assumption that we were investigating how to make the power exted work on an older SD..

Old 10-25-2007, 12:13 PM
Storm
Postmaster
So you want an '08 mirror switch w/ manual extend and fold?? why not just use the '04 switch and swap the circuits by function or do they work differently?? I wa under the assumption that we were investigating how to make the power exted work on an older SD..
No we're trying to figure out how to make the 04 switches work.. Those are the ones I tore apart and can't reverse.. There's no wires to adjust, its all in the polarity..

I figured if I could get an 08 switch in that might work lol.. Right now its set so that if I hit "Right" the mirrors go left.. If I hit left they go right.. Up/Down works just fine.. hs to do with the 08 motor being on the opposite side of the 99-07 mirrors.

Old 10-25-2007, 01:11 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Question

I gottcha man, I thought we wanted all the functions to work even telescoping and fold...
power mirrors,no fold or telescoping switch is only $32 list price.
7L3Z-17B676-AA
cheap enough to try....need a schematic or do you have them for both MY trucks?

Old 10-25-2007, 01:22 PM
Storm
Postmaster
I gottcha man, I thought we wanted all the functions to work even telescoping and fold...
power mirrors,no fold or telescoping switch is only $32 list price.
7L3Z-17B676-AA
cheap enough to try....need a schematic or do you have them for both MY trucks?
I do eventually want to try for the other mirrors as well..

$32 is a good price.. If you got a wiring schematic for the switch on 04 and 08.. Shoot that to me in email storm@spartandieseltech.com

Infact if you can check, if there are wiring changes from 99 to 07, send it for each group of years.. That will come in handy, might can find a work around if I had the schematics.. None of the dealers here have it, or they dont want to give it up to me...

Old 10-25-2007, 01:27 PM
18vtx00
Fleet Mechanic
Smile

REALLY, you must be a PITA then!!! we always help people when we can, not to spedn all day for free but they will come back when they need something.. I will send out what I can, ford changed their newer vehicles in the online schematics ans service manuals so I cannot cut and paste anymore, so I will have to copy then either fax or scan and email later on to you..

Quick Reply: 2006 to 2008 tow mirror swap??