2004 - 2008 F150 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008 Ford F150's with 5.4 V8, 4.6 V8 engine
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who failed first, the Ford or the Edge? Opinions please….

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 07:40 PM
00buck
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who failed first, the Ford or the Edge? Opinions please….

2004 5.4 FX4 Screw w/ 46,000 miles.

My Edge Evolution blanked out the other day during a start up while I was ~250 miles from home. I fooled with it while driving and it would come on for a second and then blank back out.

On the trip home the truck was driving normally, but felts a little odd going up long hills – kind sluggish.

Once home I read the Edge owners manual and disconnected & reconnected it to the OBDII as recommended.

Now it is working properly, but 2 codes keep popping up-

1635 – tire size not matching gear ratio?? (running stock tires and never anything else)

2106 Throttle Actuator Control System- forced limited power

I can get the 1635 to clear, but the 2106 is firm.

I updated my Edge and that didn’t work.

I can drive around in stage 2 but the rpm’s are off (2300 @ 64 compared to 2000 @ 70 normally) and it isn't a smooth ride (engine shutters and such).

With the Edge off the truck limps around and bucks at different speeds.

I was going to try replacing the Throttle Position Sensor and purchased the wrong one from O’rielly. They don’t carry the correct one which I found out after I get home.

Carquest can order it. Autozone doesn’t stock it either.

Ford sells it for $92 and it will arrive at the dealer in the morning.

My Easy Care extended warranty has a $100 deductible so I’m thinking about letting Ford look at it.

Hopefully it will be covered.

Any clues as to what is going on here?

If the Easy care warranty isn’t going to cover a non mechanical failure then should I go ahead and throw a TPS at it to see if that cures it? OR should I let Ford figure it out?

Thanks for the help.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:46 PM
KevinAH
Senior User
Interesting. I have an 04 FX4, I have an edge, I have had codes pop(p0506), I purchased a TPS from Ford and replaced. Code still occasionally comes up. I have a K&N filter and I think that is what might be causing my code. I have taken it in to have the dealer look at it after I put it back to stock and they are unable to read any codes. Good mystery huh. I have had the sluggish feeling like you talk about but only when it was 90* or hotter. So, it could have been just the heat.

Old 10-22-2007, 08:54 PM
00buck
Freshman User
I just pulled my K&N for the dealer trip tomorrow. It has been on there a while so I don't think it had anything to do with this, though you never know...

Old 10-23-2007, 09:22 AM
DaMole
Posting Guru
The problem with the edge going blank is most likely the the cord from the edge to the computer. They had a bad shipment of them and the screen will cut off occasionally. You can call them and they will send you a new one. If the truck is acting up with the edge off then it is most likely a problem with the truck(that is what edge will say also). If the warranty does not cover it and you already have ordered the part I would go ahead and replace it myself and see if it helps. It does have symptoms of a bad TPS but it could be something else triggering it.

Old 10-23-2007, 09:31 AM
00buck
Freshman User
Well I just got back from dropping it off at the dealer. Man what a trip.
In stock mode the truck would rev real odd, I think the "tire size vs. gear ratio" wrong code was causing the speedometer to read really high (70mph while doing ~45).

In overdrive it would barely roll to 20, with the od selection off it would get up to 50 or so but would occasionally shut the od back on and run the speed back to 20 ish.

Time will tell about the warranty, the service guy pointed out that it does cover some electrical, but it is easy cares call.

With the edge on I could run the truck at higher speeds and it felt smoother reaching higher speeds - as if it was overriding what the vehicle wanted to do. In stock mode it was a whole different ball game.

Now I wait for the axe to fall. ( I hope its a small hatchet )

Old 10-23-2007, 09:37 AM
Corey872
Senior User
Sounds like it thinks your tire size is different - like the size somehow got corrupted in the edge memory. Did you try to reprogram the stock tire size, or program it for a different size, then switch back to stock?

Old 10-23-2007, 10:51 AM
00buck
Freshman User
No I didn't. I was on the phone with an Edge technician forever (great support thus far) and he never mentioned trying that.
When I returned the truck to stock tune I assumed it would include stock tire size, but that is when the tire size code gets flagged.

Something happened to cause the edge to blank out and now my perfectly running truck before this happened is at the dealer throwing codes

Old 10-23-2007, 11:08 AM
00buck
Freshman User
The service dept just called asking-
Have I jump started anyone recently- no
Has anyone worked on the truck recently ? no
Has there ben any body work done? no

Said there is something screwy going on and they will figure it out...Hmm I think I know what screwy item it is...... erggg.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:39 PM
mustangz_04
Senior User
Any more news?

Old 11-09-2007, 01:26 AM
00buck
Freshman User
Sorry no update.
Well, I paid a good chunk of change to get my computer reflashed at the dealer (which Edge has offered to reimburse, no check yet).
The ford tech said my truck was programmed to run a 63.10 gear ratio instead of a 3.73 gear. This, I guess, is what was causing most of the issues.

I never fooled with the edge settings other than basic stage 2 (level 2?).

Edge sent me a new programmer (overnight- within 20 hrs) and I have sent the old one back. I have yet to hook the new one up because I have been too busy since then to do so, maybe next week.

Oddly enough my first tank with the factory settings after the reflash= 18+ mpg.
My truck has NEVER seen 18 mpg. It has yet to do that again, but man for a moment there I thought I was on to something.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:29 AM
00buck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Corey872
Sounds like it thinks your tire size is different - like the size somehow got corrupted in the edge memory. Did you try to reprogram the stock tire size, or program it for a different size, then switch back to stock?
Had the tech & I checked what gear ratoi/tire size it was calling for this this whole mess may had been avoided. Why it swapped over on its own is the mystery.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:45 PM
00buck
Freshman User
Got the check in the mail today.

Edge is good for their word and worked with me through the entire ordeal.

Old 11-11-2007, 04:04 PM
wreedZ71
More Turbo
How is the truck running? are your problems fixed?

Old 11-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Tylus
MMNC (SS)(Ret)

Received 30 Likes on 22 Posts
are you still going to use your new edge?

I'm glad to see that you worked through the problem instead of blaming Ford. I agree that it sucks they didn't have you check the gear ratios first though.

Old 11-12-2007, 05:39 AM
00buck
Freshman User
Originally Posted by wreedZ71
How is the truck running? are your problems fixed?
Yes, both in factory settings and after I hooked the new edge back up (since my last post).
I put it back on level 2 and can tell a difference with the latest version vs the last level 2 I was running. (a year 1/2 old version)
It seems to rev higher/harder with the same amount of throttle I used to give it.
Hard to describe, but it is different- but runs perfectly just the same.

The shudder I used to get at 50 mph when engaging the cruise seems to be gone as well. ( the edge tech mentioned the shudder without my mentioning it first- I knew right away what he was talking about when he said it. )

Quick Reply: Who failed first, the Ford or the Edge? Opinions please….