Biofuel appears to be scary stuff

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2007, 06:39 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Biofuel appears to be scary stuff

I went on line for biofuel info at: www.lcbiofuels.com
There does not appear to be but three (3) stations in No. Cal that sells it but it is pure bio (B100). To purchase fuel from one of their stations you must have submitted an application to obtain a approved card.
To get the card you must fill out an application which includes your credit card company and number.

You then in fact have to sign a contract stating that you have been made aware of the possible pit falls of useing bio fuel (B100).

To name a few: Bio will clean out dino fuel crap and will probably clog your fuel filter several times and it is recommended that you always carry a spare.

Bio desolves paint so wipe it off immediatle.

Bio will degrade rubber components faster in older vehicles made prior to 1993.

Bio will gel even in temps above 40* unless an anti-gel agent has been introduced into the fuel. I guess heated tanks will work great.
(Anyone have those?)

It then goes on with a disclaimer re emissions stating that every engine is different and because dino fuels produce higer BTU's than bio which is slightly less BTU's, bio may not have the same effect and a small loss of power and economy should be expected, although this is mitagated by biodiesel's higher lubricity and cetane. So, less power, drop in mileage but it lubricates better.

I was going to go ahead and get one of the cards just incase I was in the area of their station but I have reservations of supplying them with my credit card information prior to ever buying their product. I wrote them an E-mail asking for an explanation but probably won't get a reply until Monday.

If everything thay say is true I am a little reluctant to fill up on B100, bio diesel and then wait for a fuel filter to clog while I'm in the middle of the Golden Gate bridge at 1700 hrs.

There is indication that a blend (B20) which is 20% bio blended with Dino diesel is less cleansing and more forgiving than it's bigger cousin, B100.

It continues stating that biodiesel (B100) is a clean burning, renewable fuel,which after August 18, 2004 will only be sold in California as a developement fuel. Sales will be restricted through various proceedures.
(This application process must be one of those proceedures.)

Well, I guess this means that the rest of you out of state folks will have to drive into Calif. to get your filters plugged. Dang it's just not fair that we should get all of the fun.

Well, if your interested go to the site and surf around if just for grins and giggles.

Roger

Old 10-21-2007, 07:38 PM
tjbeggs
Post Fiend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bio can do all the things they say but they are not nearly as bad as they make it seem. yes it will clean the fuel system and its good to change your filter after running a tank or two trhu it but it won't leave you standed. It will gel at higher temps but that easy fix by blending with #2. as in b100 may gel at 40 but b50 may gel at 20. those aren't real numbers just an example. Biodiesel is sold everywhere so I am not sure what that is all about.

I would be leary of the credit card thing. not sure why you can't pay cash or use a credit card at the pump.

I ahve never hear of BD disolving paint though. thats a new one. also the rubber isn't an issue with our trucks.

Old 10-21-2007, 07:51 PM
kawa
Postmaster
TJ:
Is the bio that you see a blend or have you also seen the B100 for sale?
Rog

Old 10-21-2007, 08:35 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
HMMM
i had to do all of that for my cfn account. i run b99 and its not scary at all. truck runs great on the stuff.

Old 10-21-2007, 09:45 PM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
You should not have to get "permission" to use bio fuel. Unless that is some Cali BS.

Go fill up on it, what are they goign to do to you? Tell you that the corn cobs are going to come get you?

Old 10-21-2007, 11:32 PM
kawa
Postmaster
Corn Cobs are going to come and get me? lol

I don't know what the "Deal" is, I just went on line and never got past where they wanted my CC Info. But...what it sounds like is.....the B100 station does not have an attendant and that is what their card is for or as they stated that the Dept. of Weights & Measures as well as other Governmental Depts have dumped a bunch of Regs. on these folks because B100 is not recognized as conforming to petroleum distillate (D-975) standards.

Apparently special interest groups are the ones behind this whole friggin' mess.

I'm not sure that I am explaning this in a frame that does it justice so I would recommend that if you are interested in this, click on the web site that I provided and read it first hand.

It may very well be just another piece of Cali B.S. but as you all know what goes around comes around. Several years ago I think that only two states were over run with illegal imagrants, were Calif. & Texas. How's your state doing now?

Personally I have not seen one single station in Calif., Nevada, Arizona, Colorado or New Mex. that offers any kind of diesel blend what so ever. Just Diesel #2. I didn't even know of these bio stations until I got bored and looked up Biodiesel. The closest is 10% Ethanal for gasoline that I have personally seen in No. Calif.

I only posted this for "Information Only Please", I'm not defending it.

Roger

Old 10-22-2007, 01:06 AM
zakquick
New User
Many stations that sell bio are privately owned or companies like CFN that require an account. search google for locations and you'll be surprised. B10 here in truckee Ca, almost $3.70 though. Been running it for a couple years, no probs.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:20 AM
kawa
Postmaster
Originally Posted by zakquick
Many stations that sell bio are privately owned or companies like CFN that require an account. search google for locations and you'll be surprised. B10 here in truckee Ca, almost $3.70 though. Been running it for a couple years, no probs.
The siite that I was reading stated that they have a station in Lake Tahoe but I don't recall if it is No. or So. I never did get a price for their B100.

Diesel is pricey in Truckee Auburn is about$3.20+,

Old 10-23-2007, 06:40 AM
Talyn
Hotshot
Received 42 Likes on 38 Posts
Just look into making your own fuel. If you have some space to do it, and a little bit of time, you can turn costs a bunch after you get everything made, and in working order.
There is a bit of a learning curve, but bio diesel is easy to make and very cost effective.
They want to tax that now also, but they shouldn't be able to, you own it and its not an exported or imported good. Its for personal conveyence use only. Your not hauling goods or services with it. Which .. okay i wont get started.

With as easy as diesel is actually to make, they are ripping everyone off. However, the thing that peeves me the most is that people want more for their diesel trucks right now selling them!!!
No, i'm not going to pay 4 or 5k more for your truck. Especially when i'm goign to have to drive and pick the damned thing up!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:13 AM
fuelman
Elder User
The taxes they want are the road taxes your not giving them at the pump.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:26 PM
1997F-350
Postmaster
they sell bio in reno. my bio comes from an unmanned station. thats why i had to get an account with cfn to be able to purchase fuel from them. they have cfn there too. i am from there. all it is is a gas card that you pay the bill for at the end of the month. as far as all the other rules or whatever i have no idea.