1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Tool that fits E150 van seat bracket bolts?

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-2002, 11:50 PM
jmailand
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi Ford Fans:

I figured I'd ask here as well as in the E350 super-duty, as the bolts gotta be the same in the E150.

The bench seats in my '01 E350 van are held in place by brackets bolted to the floor; the brackets are held down by two torx style bolts (round with some kind of rubber cover and a torx type hole in the middle). I want to pull out the brackets to have some flat floor space.

The hole's too big for a torx T55, too small for a T60, and none of the tool shops around have heard of anything in the middle (T57 or whatever). I went to my Ford dealer's parts dept, no special tool sold by ford to fit the bolts (in fact, no info at all on what tool fits). So I popped over to the dealer's shop and asked a mechanic, who said he thought it might not be a normal torx, and that maybe snap-on sold a tool for it, but he didn't have anything on hand.

Anyone have any idea what tool fits that bolt, and clues on where to get one? I hope to have this van just about forever and will want to put seat brackets in and out all the time.

Thanks!

Old 05-16-2002, 02:00 PM
stilwell
New User

I have an '01 E-350 and had the same idea. I never found the right tool to remove the brackets, so I have settled for working around them.

Old 05-16-2002, 04:38 PM
myke
Senior User

Can't tell you what kind of tool to use, but I bet if you contacted a van conversion outfit they could tell you. They pull seats out all the time to replace them. Here's a list of some of them:

http://www.fleet.ford.com/products/specialty_vehicles/Qualified_Vehicle_Mod_Van.asp

Hope they can help you.

Old 05-16-2002, 06:43 PM
bosshoss
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 02-14-2013, 12:25 PM
torxnutnot4me
New User
SOLUTION FOUND- THIS IS THE TOOL SPECIFIC TO THE NUTS

I ran into same problem on my E-350 van upon removing the bench seat brackets, so I googled and found this thread of Q & A. I have since found the correct answer and am posting to share for past and future users/seekers. Firstly let me say that a standard T55 'will' work IF you are very careful to not strip when first dislodging the nuts when fully tightened (though not recommended). I did so on all of mine UNTIL I got to last one...yep, go figure. It stripped and any access under the van with clamp pliers was not possible as it was located directly above the gas tank and unaccesable...go figure again. What to do?? I visited my Ford dealer, shared ALL this info and was thinking I'd have to have an EXTRACTOR tool used. Nope, low and behold THERE IS a specific tool for these nuts and it is NOT the standard T55 torx head.
ANSWER- It is called a TP55 Torx Plus and does NOT have same pattern as a standard T55. Unfortunatly you cannot purchase over the counter. I was given the name of my dealers supplier only to find upon contact that they sell only to 'dealers'. BUT I DID find on AMAZON & EBAY. I ordered on AMAZON, it cost aprox. $13.00. By the way, IT WORKS! The one my dealership used was even able to remove that last bolt I had given up on DESPITE the fact I had stripped it pretty good, THAT is how much better and specific the TP55 Plus is over the standard T55 Torx head! I ordered mine from Amazon for future use and am glad to have found the appropriate tool. Just wish it was not such a stupid SECRET and ridiculously impossible to gain such an education. SO, I hope this helps everyone else who has or will experience the same problem. Good Luck

The following users liked this post:
Old 03-03-2013, 09:04 AM
dimetimetom
New User
Originally Posted by torxnutnot4me
I ran into same problem on my E-350 van upon removing the bench seat brackets, so I googled and found this thread of Q & A. I have since found the correct answer and am posting to share for past and future users/seekers. Firstly let me say that a standard T55 'will' work IF you are very careful to not strip when first dislodging the nuts when fully tightened (though not recommended). I did so on all of mine UNTIL I got to last one...yep, go figure. It stripped and any access under the van with clamp pliers was not possible as it was located directly above the gas tank and unaccesable...go figure again. What to do?? I visited my Ford dealer, shared ALL this info and was thinking I'd have to have an EXTRACTOR tool used. Nope, low and behold THERE IS a specific tool for these nuts and it is NOT the standard T55 torx head.
ANSWER- It is called a TP55 Torx Plus and does NOT have same pattern as a standard T55. Unfortunatly you cannot purchase over the counter. I was given the name of my dealers supplier only to find upon contact that they sell only to 'dealers'. BUT I DID find on AMAZON & EBAY. I ordered on AMAZON, it cost aprox. $13.00. By the way, IT WORKS! The one my dealership used was even able to remove that last bolt I had given up on DESPITE the fact I had stripped it pretty good, THAT is how much better and specific the TP55 Plus is over the standard T55 Torx head! I ordered mine from Amazon for future use and am glad to have found the appropriate tool. Just wish it was not such a stupid SECRET and ridiculously impossible to gain such an education. SO, I hope this helps everyone else who has or will experience the same problem. Good Luck
TY so very much.....

The following users liked this post:
Old 05-28-2014, 11:17 PM
itsallghawaii
New User
I have a 95 e350 15 psgr club wagon that I bought for our church. Our problem is that the original owners took out the brackets and can't find them. Been having a hard time to locate some brackets so we can transport our youth. Anyone know where I might be able to get some. I tried ebay and some local wrecking yards, even the internet and have had no luck. I even tried a dealer here in Las Vegas. Help!

Old 05-28-2014, 11:29 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I suggest you try posting in the Van Forum. If you came here via google, you ended up in the 1997 - 2003/4 F-150 Forum.

Van Forum is here:

1968-2013 Full Size Vans - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Old 06-07-2014, 09:13 AM
newfordy
Tuned
Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts
TP55 - Torx-"Plus"

Yeah just when we get used to Torx, they come up with something new.