Excursion V10 swap to 5.9 cummins... - Page 4 - Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums

Notices

Excursion V10 swap to 5.9 cummins...

Old 03-30-2011, 12:41 PM
5.9Excursion
Freshman User
5.9Excursion is starting off with a positive reputation.
Has it been that long? ha ha

I got about 10.8 mpg with the V10 before the swap. Last time I checked I was getting around 16.5 mixed driving with it after the swap. The power/torque available now is way more than before (not to say the V10 is a slouch either).

I developed a trans leak a while back and after pulling the trans I found out the torque convertor snout that drives the oil pump had sheared off. I ended up putting a single disk back in it as the triple disk was too harsh for what we use it for. Hopefully by friday I will have it back on the road.

My website has a link to a full build writeup of my swap if you are interested.

Main

Old 03-30-2011, 01:47 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
I'm glad to hear from you again, as I'm sure several others are and hope you start posting a bit more often as I'm sure you have a lot of knowledge to share.
Thanks for the comeback.

Old 03-30-2011, 01:58 PM
Moto Mel
Postmaster
Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.Moto Mel has a great reputation on FTE.
That is an awesome Dodge sled puller, I have seen it on TV and youtube and it is very impressive. Do you have a truck shop in Nebraska?

Old 03-30-2011, 02:39 PM
5.9Excursion
Freshman User
5.9Excursion is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thanks, it has slowly progressed to be quite a runner. I was at the hp limits of the driveline this past year (limited to a factory one-ton or less) driveline by the class. Even with bigger driveshafts, bigger yokes, 300M axles, etc I still broke stuff about every other pull. So I decided to jump up another class so I can run open driveline. I'm building a new engine as well so it may be next year before it is ready to run. Here's a video from last season:

YouTube - Jesse Neddenriep, 2.8 Diesel, Stanberry, MO 2010 - It's Only Money

And here is a shot of my new billet dropbox/reverser (this replaces my factory transmission and transfercase).

Name:  IMAG0297.jpg
Views: 3043
Size:  100.6 KB

I'm in the process of building a new shop right now.

Old 03-30-2011, 03:10 PM
excursiondude
Senior User
excursiondude is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion View Post
Thanks, it has slowly progressed to be quite a runner. I was at the hp limits of the driveline this past year (limited to a factory one-ton or less) driveline by the class. Even with bigger driveshafts, bigger yokes, 300M axles, etc I still broke stuff about every other pull. So I decided to jump up another class so I can run open driveline. I'm building a new engine as well so it may be next year before it is ready to run. Here's a video from last season:

YouTube - Jesse Neddenriep, 2.8 Diesel, Stanberry, MO 2010 - It's Only Money

And here is a shot of my new billet dropbox/reverser (this replaces my factory transmission and transfercase).

I'm in the process of building a new shop right now.
Hi 5.9 I'm glad I took a shot and resurrected this thread. I am getting ready to start this with my 02 excursion. I want it for the mpgs and to tow my rv with the family. Cummins rock I just need to find the right donor truck. I'm looking for a 94-98 ram. 12v easy engine.(easier LOL)
anyway welcome back

Old 08-08-2013, 01:14 PM
ExSKARsion
Senior User
ExSKARsion is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.ExSKARsion is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Does anyone have a rough estimate of cost associated with a swap like this?

I have heard the 5.9 12v Cummins were the easiest swaps to do and I've seen quotes anywhere from 2,000$ to 10,000$.

If I can manage to get at least 1,500$ for my freshly rebuilt 6.8L V-10 then how much more would I be looking at? I have seen the cummins with less than 100k for between 1800-3500. Most come with trannys as well.

Thoughts?

Old 04-10-2016, 04:21 PM
rob.hvac
Freshman User
rob.hvac is starting off with a positive reputation.
Hey 5.9excursion I did the same swap but I used a 12 valve. I'm having a problem with the tach I'm trying to still have the mpg screen still work, how did you tie it in?
Thanks in advance

Old 04-16-2016, 08:33 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
gots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant future
OP hasn't been here since 2011, so not likely to get an answer from him.

BUT, I did mine by using a tone ring with the same tooth count as the v10 and just used the original crank sensor to read it. One of the conversion companies has a kit to do the same, I cut out my own since I'm cheap.

Name:  IMG_20150910_193521_zpsn1j1ds0f.jpg
Views: 3276
Size:  134.0 KB

Old 10-13-2016, 08:56 PM
largrizzly
New User
largrizzly is starting off with a positive reputation.
Love your build in the middle of doing the 12v p pump swap now with zf 6 manual trans did your get all the acc. to working right ie cruise and AC just need some help have moved the cruise module have to make spacer did your x done have cruise

Old 10-25-2016, 10:28 AM
gkerney88
New User
gkerney88 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Few questions

Looking to do this to my 05 Excursion. I thought about doing the diesel conversion adapter to my 5speed. But if I can save some money and use the tranny out of the donor dodge I get the 5.9 from I'll do that (Plus get a better tranny)

So here are my questions.
What year motor/tran did you use?
How has the gearing worked out since install?
Did you have to make custom motor mounts to get it all lined up? Or will a diesel conversion adapter mounts work in the stock location?

Thanks for sharing. Looking forward to my build.

Originally Posted by 5.9Excursion View Post
Nope, its a 2001. 24V with vp44 maxed out...

Old 10-25-2016, 04:47 PM
cumminslyfe
New User
cumminslyfe is starting off with a positive reputation.
6.0 died looking to do a swap

Ok so I have a 6.0 and it died with the typical EGR head problems I found a 5.9 Cummins 12V in a 1995 F-600 or 650 is that motor the same as a dodge 12v? I called a company looking to get information on what I will need for the swap and they are saying it will not work. Does anyone have any ideas or experience to back that up? Also what I will need to do the swap. Im new to the forum and im hoping I can get good insite

Thanks in advance
Patrick

Old 10-25-2016, 05:54 PM
gots_a_sol
Elder User
gots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant futuregots_a_sol has a brilliant future
A cummins is a cummins no matter where it is from (save for ones in generators and equipment which have a different style of injection pump compared to automotive ones).

Whoever you called might have thought you were talking about a big cummins and not the B-series.

What all you need to do the swap? A lot of time on google. Biggest decisions are going to be what engine/injection pump and what trans you are going to use.

Old 10-25-2016, 06:20 PM
cumminslyfe
New User
cumminslyfe is starting off with a positive reputation.
Originally Posted by gots_a_sol View Post
A cummins is a cummins no matter where it is from (save for ones in generators and equipment which have a different style of injection pump compared to automotive ones).

Whoever you called might have thought you were talking about a big cummins and not the B-series.

What all you need to do the swap? A lot of time on google. Biggest decisions are going to be what engine/injection pump and what trans you are going to use.
thats what I thought I was planning to use the transmission the truck already has is that not a good idea?

Old 10-26-2016, 10:30 AM
biz4two
Post Fiend
biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.biz4two has a great reputation on FTE.
Arrow

Originally Posted by cumminslyfe View Post
thats what I thought I was planning to use the transmission the truck already has is that not a good idea?
That depends on what trans that truck is running. Things to consider are the gear ratios with the trans and the truck you want to swap the B-Series into.

You did not mention if you have a 4x4 or not. That also must come into consideration for the donor trans to transfer case bolting up.

biz