1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear Axle seal keeps leaking

Old 10-15-2007, 03:43 PM
Bowstring
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear Axle seal keeps leaking

Had a rear axle seal develope a leak, so instead of doing it I took it to my local Ford dealer and had them replace both as long as they were doing one. Lo and behold after I got home and put on some 80 miles one of the ones they replaced was leaking big time so back I went and they replaced it . So home I came and after 50 miles the other one started leaking . So back I went and is there today getting the other one replaced. Any ideas out there what my be happening its all warranty work there doing but after replacing brake pads each time and new seals I would say they are losing on this job. Have had work done there before and they always have done a good job.

Old 10-15-2007, 04:24 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
Check if the breather is clogged - since it's 4x4, you'll have a hose on the top of the pumpkin, with an elbow on the end pushed through a hole in the frame.

Once the unit heats up, if the breather is clogged, pressure builds up and pushes gear oil past the weakest seal. Funny that the pinion didn't leak first though...

Beyond that, make sure the sealing surface on the spindles are nice and smooth with no nicks or wear marks. Either that, or the monkey putting the hub back on the spindle doesn't get it right and keeps nicking the seal

Old 10-15-2007, 04:37 PM
Bowstring
Senior User
I had check the breather tube sometime before taking it in to be repaired. The tube end with the plastic hooked plug in the end was all open. I would think that would be something they would be checking to being its coming out of there pocket. I'm starting to think your last statement is maybe hitting the nail on the head.

Old 10-15-2007, 06:25 PM
lariat_99
New User
You might also have a leak at the o-ring seal on the other end of the axle where it meets the differential housing. These should be replaced at the same time the hub oil seals are replaced, but often they are neglected. If your axle is leaking "big time", though, the diff is probably overfilled or else the breather is clogged.

Old 10-16-2007, 07:05 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
I would hope with it being done at a Ford dealer ship they would be checking the other o-ring and vent tube and not over filling with fluid. The last one they are re- replacing wasn't leaking to start with I just had them do both a long as they were doing it.

Old 10-30-2007, 10:07 PM
Rwing21
Freshman User
Originally Posted by Bowstring
Had a rear axle seal develope a leak, so instead of doing it I took it to my local Ford dealer and had them replace both as long as they were doing one. Lo and behold after I got home and put on some 80 miles one of the ones they replaced was leaking big time so back I went and they replaced it . So home I came and after 50 miles the other one started leaking . So back I went and is there today getting the other one replaced. Any ideas out there what my be happening its all warranty work there doing but after replacing brake pads each time and new seals I would say they are losing on this job. Have had work done there before and they always have done a good job.
How much did ford charge you for this? I had one replaced around 28000 miles ago in warranty. I looked tonight and the other seal is leaking. This time it is out of warranty.

Old 10-31-2007, 07:06 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
It depends on which rear end you have ,different priced seals, mine was $200.00 a side

Old 10-31-2007, 07:10 AM
Bowstring
Senior User
For got that included brake pads because the old ones where soaked with oil . Also they where able to clean up the parking brake pads, if not they would of been $200.00 more if they would of replaced them.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:21 PM
RodThrust
New User
4th time doing seal

Yep I have issues with the passenger side rear seal. This will be the fourth time in about 6-8 months. Using CR seals which I believe are good seals. Breather is free and clear, mating surface looks good. If anybody knows whats going on please let me know!!

Old 11-15-2012, 12:42 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 296 Likes on 156 Posts
When you put it together, do you coat the seal and sealing surface with gear oil and put some gear oil in the bearing too, so it's all nicely lubricated?

Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
rvpuller
Received 425 Likes on 279 Posts
I posted last week about my rear end leaking and I found it was the vent tube, the end was clear but the clip that was holding it to the frame had collapsed the hose because it was installed wrong. You can't see it by just looking at it you have to remove it, when I put it back together I made sure the clip was on the area where the hose end is inserted into the hose so it came no longer pinch it closed.

Denny

Old 12-06-2012, 09:50 AM
RodThrust
New User
Replaced the seal a few weeks ago and its still dry back there. I used liberal amounts of lithium grease on the seal and bearings and changed the diff oil. Turns out the rubber portion of the seal was separating from the steel housing where they are bonded. Looks like that seal is prone to overheating so I advise using lots of grease during the install and change out the diff oil. Hope this helps.

Old 03-01-2020, 11:04 AM
Thibault f150
New User
Originally Posted by lariat_99
You might also have a leak at the o-ring seal on the other end of the axle where it meets the differential housing. These should be replaced at the same time the hub oil seals are replaced, but often they are neglected. If your axle is leaking "big time", though, the diff is probably overfilled or else the breather is clogged.
I changed the rear axle 3 times already and never saw the o-ring seal that you mentioned, where it is suppose to be? I have a big leak close to the outside end where the bearing is (the tire is cover with oil). I suspect something else than the bearing seal that I change 1 week ago... I can find a picture or anything that can help me to buy one in Bolivia... Thanks!

Old 03-02-2020, 12:26 AM
WWR
Cargo Master
Received 381 Likes on 337 Posts
Originally Posted by Thibault f150
I changed the rear axle 3 times already and never saw the o-ring seal that you mentioned, where it is suppose to be? I have a big leak close to the outside end where the bearing is (the tire is cover with oil). I suspect something else than the bearing seal that I change 1 week ago... I can find a picture or anything that can help me to buy one in Bolivia... Thanks!
This guy is painful to watch but at 4:00 you see the o-ring on the shaft. It's not 100% required - 14 bolts didn't get 'em so you could just use silicone on the flange or some guys made gaskets from cereal boxes...NoRM claimed Cap'N Crunch boxes worked the best and I have no reason to doubt that

Old 05-20-2021, 01:51 PM
Randy Williamson
New User
Rear axle seal

Originally Posted by Bowstring
I had the same thing it turned out the auto parts store sold me the wrong seal twice go to Ford and buy it off your vin# so you get the right one