Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

96 F150 302 Flowmaster 40 delta

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:12 AM
wildcat99
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
96 F150 302 Flowmaster 40 delta

Looking for a deep rumble, duals, not too loud. I have original exhaust with 2 cats. Cats are still OK as far as I know...the truck runs good, but original exhaust is about to fall off and is waaaay too quiet.

My exhaust shop suggested a catback with Flowmaster 40 series delta flow single-in/dual out or Imco turbo muffler. The guy recommended Flowmaster over Imco though for better sound.

Does anyone have this setup on the same truck? Are you happy with it? Other ideas?

Old 10-13-2007, 08:10 AM
92F150Flare
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Stock cats are going to cut your sound down a lot.......So if you want any of the rumble......use the Flow.....the 40 series is the loud one.
If you have the money......replace the stock cats with a free flow........you will be lots happier, both with the sound......and the performance gain. If you do replace the cats........think about a Flow 50 series......the 40's can cause an annoying resonance in your cab when they are free flowing. The 50 was made to stop a lot of that but still give the rumble.

Good Luck
Bob

Old 10-13-2007, 11:00 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 961 Likes on 761 Posts
With stock cats you could cut the exhaust off right behind them and its not that loud. I have run both my trucks that way without issue. Unless you replace the cats you are wasting your money buying mufflers, IMO... just put whatever pipe layout you like behind the cats.

Old 10-14-2007, 11:16 AM
DJdemon6696
Posting Guru
im using a single 3" flow 40 series Delta..with no cat.. After Axle dump, but for your truck i recomend a single 2.5" and as for the Flo's i love the sound you can hear it here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xI8vHsQ5Qn4

Old 10-14-2007, 03:17 PM
wildcat99
Senior User
Sounds good demon, maybe a little loud for me though, especially on long trips.

I've got some time before I do anything. I might go cheap with a piece of straight pipe, a turn down and some clamps to replace the muffler and get an idea of what it sounds like. From what I understand the Flowmasters give you the sound, though.

Reading reviews on Flowmaster, depending on the vehicle, people claim more hp and better mpg by just replacing the muffler?? That doesn't seem possible, but then I don't fully understand the effects of backpressure, scavenging, etc, either. Most all reviews claim it gives a much better, "musclecar" type sound though.

I just want this to sound more like a truck. All I can hear now is the fan and occasionally the power steering pump.

Old 10-23-2007, 12:45 AM
DJdemon6696
Posting Guru
if its a little to loud for you use the 50 series Flow or the 60 series.. its up to you

Old 10-23-2007, 09:06 AM
94f250veguy
Junior User
ive used flowmaster stuff for years and love it all
for your truck IMO i think you should order some regular 40 Series mufflers and dont use the deltaflows as they have always been quieter than the originals

summit has them for about 70 bucks
and has the deltaflows for around 80
just one more thing
if you want more rumble put a set of turndowns on it before the rear axle

Old 10-24-2007, 05:57 PM
Old_Paint
Elder User
Originally Posted by wildcat99
Sounds good demon, maybe a little loud for me though, especially on long trips.

I've got some time before I do anything. I might go cheap with a piece of straight pipe, a turn down and some clamps to replace the muffler and get an idea of what it sounds like. From what I understand the Flowmasters give you the sound, though.

Reading reviews on Flowmaster, depending on the vehicle, people claim more hp and better mpg by just replacing the muffler?? That doesn't seem possible, but then I don't fully understand the effects of backpressure, scavenging, etc, either. Most all reviews claim it gives a much better, "musclecar" type sound though.

I just want this to sound more like a truck. All I can hear now is the fan and occasionally the power steering pump.
If you're hearing the radiator fan, I think I'd address that issue first. I've NEVER heard fan roar from my stock 5.0 fan. Now, on the other hand, I have heard one when the clutch locks up on my 3.8 T-Bird. It sounded more like an engine for a 747 at 70 mph than a 3.8L six banger. And fuel mileage/performance REALLY sucked when the fan clutch bit the dust. Check that clutch. Give the fan a spin. If you can't turn it freely with one finger or it doesn't spin at least half a turn before stopping, it's probably getting real close to dying. If it just keeps on spinning (but you wouldn't hear it then), still needs replacing. You'll probably notice a very significant performance increase and fuel mileage boost with a good working fan clutch.

Old 10-24-2007, 07:31 PM
flareside_thunder
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
All those reviews are probably by people who have never done trial and error when it comes to exhaust and all they know is flowmaster flowmaster flowmaster.....justmy .02

JR

Old 10-24-2007, 08:16 PM
eco
Posting Guru
Keep in mind that Flowmaster has a good name reputation due to clever marketing on their part. But are they really THE way to go for mufflers??? No.

I say just go with straight pipe after the stock cats. It's cheap, and easy and it sounds good. Going this way you have nothing to loose and everything to gain. If you don't like it, add in a muffler be it Flowmaster or whatever.

For exhaust stuff (mufflers, pipe, bends etc.) I use Stainless Works.

Old 10-25-2007, 12:22 AM
wildcat99
Senior User
No problems or roar with the fan...it's working fine. What I meant is all I hear now is normal underhood engine noise, air moving, pumps, etc. Very quiet.

The same shop put duals and glass packs on an 88 GMC 350 I had about 15yrs ago. I had it for about 5yrs and exhaust still looked new when I traded, even after running for some time with a blown head gasket.

At the shop $300 for the Flowmaster catback, 14ga aluminized, duals, custom bent out the sides or straight out the back, fully welded and installed. Sounds like a good deal, haven't seen a do-it-yourself, clamp on, dual catback system for much less than that.

I will cut the muffler off and see if I like the sound before I do anything though. If so, it will be even cheaper without the Flowmaster, maybe add some tips instead.

Thanks for everyone's ideas and info, I'll post what I end up with.

Last edited by wildcat99; 10-25-2007 at 12:24 AM.
Old 10-25-2007, 11:52 PM
RacinNdrummin
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Were Running a Flow 40 on the 95 F150 (3.55, 4r70w) in my sig. It is a 351, but thats not all that different. We put the flowtech long tubes with no cat, mandrel bent 2.25 into 3 into the flow and 3" out the side before the rear tire. The sound is perfect, its a little loud when you first start it up, but after things warm up, it gets quieter. Going down the hwy in overdrive, you can barely hear it and with all the sound deadening these trucks have, there is almost no drone. When your idling at a light, you cant even really hear the truck, the only time when you can really hear it is when your accelerating. The truck sounds awesome though, perfect amount of rumble.

You might be in a different situation with OBD-II, you are going to have to have at least one cat to keep the computer from going bonkers, but there is always the option of getting the CEL eliminators and running no cat at all.

Old 10-26-2007, 12:34 AM
BEWOLD
Senior User

I will cut the muffler off and see if I like the sound before I do anything though. If so, it will be even cheaper without the Flowmaster, maybe add some tips instead.
My 96 has the stock exhaust, minus the muffler. Sounds pretty good but Its still extremely quiet. Like mentioned earlier, headers and high flow cats are the way to go for sound and performance. (its next on my list for my truck) Then add a muffler that you like after (if you need one).

Old 10-27-2007, 12:57 AM
wildcat99
Senior User
4 votes for Flowmaster, 3 for no muffler.

Well, I cut the muffler off to get an idea of what it sounds like. Just have straight pipe about 2-1/2 ft long left after the 2nd cat so it exits under the ext cab. Sounds pretty good really. A little rumble at start up and slow acceleration...but you can barely tell a difference at highway speed. When revving there is some cackle and pop when letting off and fairly loud under hard acceleration.

Headers and a hi-flo cat (or no cats) is probably a good way to go, but more money than I'm willing to spend right now especially on something that really isn't broken.

I think I'll see what the shop would charge for just straight pipe after the cats, exiting out the sides behind the rear tires at a 45. It should still sound good and look a whole lot better than the 'hack' job I have now. Like you guys said, I can always add a muffler if I don't like it. I really need to hear a Flowmaster in person on the same truck to compare sound though.

What about tips? Maybe 3-in by 18 or 24-in long. I read somewhere here that larger tips give a deeper tone. Is that true or are they just for looks?

Thanks for all your help!

Old 10-27-2007, 02:18 AM
Dustin1690
Post Fiend
No usually large long tips deepens the sound.. many say

Quick Reply: 96 F150 302 Flowmaster 40 delta