6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

New results: Duramax v. 6.4

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 08:12 PM
Hdfunone
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update......When I raced my brother my boost gauge was at 10-11, his was 29 psi...**** ..so just called Banks...mine should have been 20-25....sounds like another race after I get it fixed.....man this is fun..may have to keep this old Chevy.....just kidding...still love that big Ford Truck....Nice interior....and looks hot

Old 11-09-2007, 09:08 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
Originally Posted by Hdfunone
OK, just got back from my trip with my over 26,000 pound rig. Got 6.5 mpg going up and down those hill going and coming back from the South. My Chevy Dually durmax ran great. Down to 52 mph going up the big hills. Talked to alot of other people who tow, most will buy the new Ford next time. But nothing wrong with Dodge or Chevy..all look great and run good. Hope my F 450 is in for my spring trip...Fantasy Fest in Key West is very thing you have heard...lol
Sounds pretty close to my gross of 25350# combined towing 2,000 miles this summer hand cal average 8.76 mpg. Going up the hills in the Pocono mountains in Pa I was able to keep it at any speed I wanted without straining. It would downshift and could run the hills at about 2/3 throttle. On cruse control it would downshift at about 62mph and accelerate to 67 mph going up the hill. You could really feel the torque. I found I liked it better out of cruise so I could control the speed going up and down the hills better. It would get a little scary coming over the top of a hill accelerating in cruise. Ford really built an amazing truck for towing. The advantage of cruise on flatter areas is that without it is hard to feel the speed and have to keep letting off. Any idea what your 0-60 time mty is? My 450 is 10.34.

Old 11-09-2007, 11:16 AM
Hdfunone
Senior User
I will check it out....have one of those deals fpr my SRT Hemi. I will do it on the way up to get my boost fixed and one on the way home. Can't get it in for two weeks. This guy races the big trucks....glad to hear all the good things about the new truck....Why doesn'y Bubba the Love Sponge like his? Any one know?

Old 11-09-2007, 12:18 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Received 73 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadWarriorz
I believe the point being made here is that the 6.4 L is a strong motor in the real world. Unlike the perception stated by some of the magazines.

The 6.4 has some minor bugs, but very solid for a new motor. It can only get better as we go forward with this new design.....
It's not going to be around long enough for Ford to fix it. Of course you can buy a Nissan in a couple of years and get one.

Old 11-09-2007, 01:20 PM
RoadWarriorz
Freshman User

Originally Posted by johndeerefarmer
It's not going to be around long enough for Ford to fix it. Of course you can buy a Nissan in a couple of years and get one.
Can you back your statement up with facts or is this just your opinion?

Old 11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Do a google search. you will see that Ford is developing it's next engine by itself - no more navistar.
Navistar is therefore in talks with Nissan to put the powerstroke in the Titan.

The 6.4 is just a thrown together engine to last a couple of years until the new ones are out. The new ones will have even tougher emissions standards.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:22 PM
RoadWarriorz
Freshman User
6.4 L

Do a google search. you will see that Ford is developing it's next engine by itself - no more navistar.

The 6.4 is just a thrown together engine to last a couple of years until the new ones are out. The new ones will have even tougher emissions standards.
I understand Ford is developing there own Diesel Motor. However, there initial development is related to a small displacement motor for the F150. It is possible there long range plans include a larger displacement motor for the Super Duty series truck. However, that would be a long range plan not a short term plan to remedy minor issues.

With the basic 6.4L motor configuration undergoing 80,000 + hours of testing and 6 million miles of development and validation, it's hardly thrown together. You will find similar 6.4L diesel motor configurations in several commerical applications.

Old 11-09-2007, 02:36 PM
stroke this
Senior User

Couple of years sounds plenty long enough to work the kinks out

You can buy a titan when they come out if you like but I would recomend wating until the kinks are worked out of those also.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:16 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by stroke this
Couple of years sounds plenty long enough to work the kinks out

You can buy a titan when they come out if you like but I would recomend wating until the kinks are worked out of those also.
Well said! "Thrown together"? phrases like that reduce the value of your opinion exponentially. The 6.4 will be in at least 3 model year trucks. I don't know if I have ever seen 1 of the major manufacturers meet a date so I would not hold my breath, the 6.4 or another version of it will probably be used for 4or 5 years.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:30 PM
johndeerefarmer
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by kimminau2
Well said! "Thrown together"? phrases like that reduce the value of your opinion exponentially. The 6.4 will be in at least 3 model year trucks. I don't know if I have ever seen 1 of the major manufacturers meet a date so I would not hold my breath, the 6.4 or another version of it will probably be used for 4or 5 years.
I doubt that as the next tier for stricter emissions is 2010. Does the 6.4 meet those standards? That date is mandatory for the new emission level. Ford doesn't have a choice.
If you don't remember that's why the 6.0 left. It couldn't meet emission standards.

As far as thrown together, yes that's my opinion.
Let's see:
flamethrower.....
multiple flashes
sorry *** mpg
two turbos but still more lag than chevy and dodge.

I will keep my 6.0 until Ford's FORD built engine is out.........

Old 11-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Maxium4x4
Super Moderator
Received 3,382 Likes on 2,081 Posts
Maybe you should read up? The flame thrower incident was broken injectors, reverse polarity was applied to 3 injectors damaging them at the factory.

Lag? what lag, have you drove one? I drove a new 08 when it first hit the lot and found no lag. flash was an update nothing new with that, that is how you tune a vehicle, the 6.0 had plenty and each flash is an update. As far as milage....well you got that one so far but the GM and Dodge boys are not excited either.

Old 11-09-2007, 08:03 PM
ketchup
Junior User
Red face Nissan with a "Powerstroke"?????

As I recall, Ford owns the rights to "powerstroke", and have technically designed the engine as is today. So nissan will not be getting a "powerstroke", but a plain ol navistar mediocre diesel. Correct me if I"m wrong, but I believe ford has the patents for the powerstroke components.

Old 11-10-2007, 05:50 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by DMAX-HD
I do not beleive I bashed any brand. In fact the only brand bashing that appears to be occuring is on the opposite side of the fence towards GM. IF YOU DON'T CARE - DON'T POST!
TUFF get over it this is a FORD site....

Last edited by IB Tim; 11-10-2007 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-10-2007, 05:51 AM
IB Tim
Site Administrator
Received 57 Likes on 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Hdfunone
Update......When I raced my brother my boost gauge was at 10-11, his was 29 psi...**** ..so just called Banks...mine should have been 20-25....sounds like another race after I get it fixed.....man this is fun..may have to keep this old Chevy.....just kidding...still love that big Ford Truck....Nice interior....and looks hot
...and why are YOU on a Ford site

Old 11-10-2007, 08:10 AM
stroke this
Senior User
Talking

I doubt that as the next tier for stricter emissions is 2010. Does the 6.4 meet those standards? That date is mandatory for the new emission level. Ford doesn't have a choice.
If you don't remember that's why the 6.0 left. It couldn't meet emission standards.

As far as thrown together, yes that's my opinion.
Let's see:
flamethrower.....
multiple flashes
sorry *** mpg
two turbos but still more lag than chevy and dodge.

I will keep my 6.0 until Ford's FORD built engine is out.........
Does the 6.4 meet these standards? Do you know or are you grasping.
Flame thrower
Multiple flashes
average MPG
and lets see, what problems did the 6.0 have?
As for lag, take a trip down to your friendly for dealer and see if you can feel any lag.

Quick Reply: New results: Duramax v. 6.4