1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

For those with brake problems!!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2012, 08:33 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This is a pretty old service bulletin. I had to do a lot of them when they were new. NOONE liked the brakes on them then. FWIW, Napa has them too. They don't have a clue about zero loss but I just ordered one from them for a 97 (for my 94) and it was the zero loss. It was a lot cheaper than Ford too.

Old 03-26-2012, 09:48 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Originally Posted by RRranch
This is a pretty old service bulletin. I had to do a lot of them when they were new. NOONE liked the brakes on them then. FWIW, Napa has them too. They don't have a clue about zero loss but I just ordered one from them for a 97 (for my 94) and it was the zero loss. It was a lot cheaper than Ford too.
How much was the Napa one? And what p/n?

Old 03-27-2012, 07:06 AM
RRranch
Posting Guru
Im sorry but I can't remember either exactly. I think it was around 140. Just tell them you need one for a 97. All 97 models are supposed to have the zero loss booster on them and they fit all the way back to 94 for the powerstrokes. They fit my kids 93 IDI too.

Old 03-27-2012, 04:30 PM
Brown Falcon
Hotshot
Received 123 Likes on 83 Posts
Ok. Thanks!

Old 03-27-2012, 04:56 PM
Red460
Senior User
Might get one of those too. Think it will help my prob? Read a few posts back.

Old 04-22-2012, 09:22 PM
Red460
Senior User
The brakes on mine turned out to be a bad master cylinder. But I need a zero loss booster, so i'm just going to go pick one up from ford.

Old 06-20-2012, 10:30 AM
parcan78
New User
Confirming my problem is same issue.

Just regitered on the forum, but wanted to check to see if my issue is the same. 97 f-250 super duty. When I push on the break pedal, it sticks slightly, but as preasure is added it moves forward on it's own. pedal does not return back unless I pull it back with my foot. I have no leaks at wheels, master cylinder and I do not see any movement/bubbles in the brake fluid tank when I push on the brake pedal. I figured it was the master cylinder, but hoping this Booster component is the fix. How difficult is it to replace the master cylinder/ Great to know that this forum is out here!!!!!

Thanks

Old 06-21-2012, 01:27 AM
RubberDuck
Logistics Pro

Received 38 Likes on 28 Posts
Man that's hard to say. If the pedal does not return, I would start with the pedal assembly, make sure everything is moving freely. Then I would pull the master, and bench bleed it just to make sure it's returning correctly. Then I've never pushed on a brake booster rod with it out of the truck so I don't know what to expect. But I would bet it would be sprung too meaning it should have resistance.

Old 12-14-2012, 08:33 AM
zarrinvz24
New User
Anyone know what the motorcraft part number for the master cylinder is? I've got a 97 CC F350, 4x4, 5 speed w/ 7.3L. I also have cruise control. Also is there a master listing of part numbers somewhere? Sorry if these are newb questions; I'm new to Ford and the forum, but I can say I've been most impressed with what I've seen. Also can't believe the amount of parts support Ford still offers, about 5 years ago I had a 93 Dodge 250, and there was nearly no oem parts support.

Old 12-14-2012, 12:11 PM
strokin'_tatsch
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zarrinvz24
Anyone know what the motorcraft part number for the master cylinder is? I've got a 97 CC F350, 4x4, 5 speed w/ 7.3L. I also have cruise control. Also is there a master listing of part numbers somewhere? Sorry if these are newb questions; I'm new to Ford and the forum, but I can say I've been most impressed with what I've seen. Also can't believe the amount of parts support Ford still offers, about 5 years ago I had a 93 Dodge 250, and there was nearly no oem parts support.
Welcome to FTE! Newb questions are welcome here and we are more than happy to help.

Here is a link with a bunch of PSD part numbers that Tim provided us awhile back. https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/7...t-numbers.html

I got this part number off that list for the booster

Brake booster ZERO LOSS
(Ford) F5TZ-2005-CA

Old 08-05-2015, 03:17 PM
BBuford1962
Senior User
RockAuto.com has them for $145.99......Just do a part number search at the top of the page and it comes up...

Old 12-02-2015, 08:51 PM
CrazyMF
New User
SILLY BUT,Ford Maintenance

Ford recommends regular maintenance on brakes with ABS.
It is recommended every two years that the complete Master and lines be bled of all brake fluid. AS for REAR brake adjustment,backing up with gas aplyed and pumping hard on brake pedal 8-10 times. This is OLD school but will automatically equalize.
REAL TRUCKS DON'T HAVE SPARK PLUGS! ¥

Old 12-07-2015, 01:56 PM
XFORMR
New User
Anyone please feel free to chime in with helpful info or a simple confirmation because I guess my problem is like member tjbeggs, and I am seriously hoping the Ford part # F5TZ-2005-CA Zero Loss Booster will help me too. Hoping so much that I will buy one to see.

The problem I am having is that my break pedal will slowly go to the floor if I keep constant pressure on it. I have had a full break fluid replacement bleed, new front calipers and pads, new pads and hardware (except rear wheel cylinders). The problem continues, if I push hard the break pedal will eventually go to the floor.

Additionally, and I don't know if this will be fixed too or not but, another break problem (I think?) I have is after coming to a stop, my truck will lunge slightly forward like 1 or 2 inches WHILE MY FOOT IS STILL FIRMLY ON THE BREAKS. This is absolutely the strangest feeling in the world - Apply foot to pedal, vehicle slows to a complete stop, keep foot on pedal with no let up, and truck lunges forward 2 inches regardless of what I do. I've been driving all sorts of cars and trucks for nearly 40 years and have only had this problem in my current rig. Guess I should be thankful, but yeah NO!

Old 01-06-2016, 03:54 PM
AZFX4
Senior User
So I dont think this is related but my 97 seems to have a problem with th brakes dragging in reverse. When im slowly rolling backwards and turn the steering wheel its seems to apply the brakes...any thoughts?

Old 03-13-2016, 12:40 PM
Minnesota_Duane
Junior User
Originally Posted by AZFX4
So I dont think this is related but my 97 seems to have a problem with th brakes dragging in reverse. When im slowly rolling backwards and turn the steering wheel its seems to apply the brakes...any thoughts?
If it has a little chatter to go with it suspect the plates in the rear diff.

Quick Reply: For those with brake problems!!!