General NON-Automotive Conversation No Political, Sexual or Religious topics please.

Should I Buy an Extended Warranty?

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2002, 03:43 PM
jim12_tober
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Should I Buy an Extended Warranty?

My 2000 F-150 with 27,000 miles has had four repairs: 1. Leaf spring shackle repaired. 2. Power door locks fixed. 3. Starter solenoid replaced. 4. Air conditioner evaporator core replaced, and A/C performance is still poor sometimes. Ford wants $750 for 60,000 mile warranty, and $2,000 for 100,000 miles. Is an extended warranty worth the price?

Old 10-21-2002, 03:46 PM
BuiltToughF250
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

put into the thoughts of how long you intend on owning the truck, and how well you maintain it, towing, offroading, or do you drive it like you stole it? getting an extended warrenty kind of has to reflect on how you use your truck.

BuiltToughF250

Old 10-21-2002, 10:12 PM
924x2150
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Always a tough call; if you are looking at your wallet and trying to make a decision, and it's difficult, you are in the same boat as most people.I have lucked out one or two times and had major problems covered by the warranty. Other warranties did nothing for me as the vehicle was ok. Read the fine print of your warranty! Dealers have offered me different types of warranties. They do not always cover everything. Warranties are good for peace of mind, mostly. Then you get to the dealer and find out that they still can't fix the thing correctly anyway.7 times in the shop hurts too. Imagine paying a 75.00 deductible when the repair was a $125.00 item; $75.00 dollars still hurts you.

Old 11-09-2002, 08:44 AM
skoomer1
Freshman User

look here this might help you out http://www.carbuyingtips.com/warranty.htm
did you know that you can buy an extended warrenty on line? I just bought a new 2002 ranger a week ago. I'm checking out the online warrenty myself.

2002 ranger supercab xlt
4x4 4.0 v6 auto

Old 11-12-2002, 04:36 PM
haroutd
Posting Guru
Location: I'm lost somewhere in NJ -- can someone please find me?!?!?!?

If you can negotiate a good price on a warranty with your dealer, I suggest going with the Ford warranty. Ford's (forgot what it was called -- someone please fill in this gap for me) seems to be more comprehensive than most of the ones you can get online, and there's a definate plus to having a one-stop shop & repair experience; less middle-men, less aggrivation to deal with than non-dealer warranties. My 2 cents? Go with a dealer warranty (assuming it's the Ford one) and make sure you find out how much they're going to charge you for it before you complete the negotiations.

A few other points:
- Make sure you read the fine print; find out exactly what's included and what isn't
- # of miles & years are negotiable on the extended warranties; the more time & miles, the more expensive it gets. Set a realistic max on them, add about 10% more, and use that as your warranty terms.
- Just remember -- everything's negotiable. Price out a warranty online (better yet, price out half a dozen of them) and walk into the dealership armed with knowledge about what the competition is offering. This will give you a better bargaining point (just make sure the terms/coverage/deductibles on your comps are similar to the dealer's).

When I got my F-250 in April 2002, I went with a 100,000 mile, 5 year for warranty. Vehicles are more & more complicated these days, which only leads to more capacity for failure & repair requirements (just ask Yeti about ESOF -- he LOVES that topic). A small additional investment up front can save you a lot down the road. It's kind of like home owner's insurance for your truck; some people get lucky & never need it, others luck out by having it when their engine dies after 90,000 miles.

As a final point, the dealer warranty is normally transferrable, and boosts your resale value if you're getting rid of the truck while the warranty is still in effect. Food for thought...

Old 11-12-2002, 06:09 PM
rellik74
Senior User

Depens on cost and coverage ( I am on my 3 rd Trans ) I have got good use out of my extended warrenty on my 98 Ranger.

Had extended warrenty on my 94 Ranger, ( Never needed it )?

Old 11-22-2002, 11:45 PM
FordRancher
Senior User

Old 11-27-2002, 02:35 PM
utvol1984
Senior User

You can buy an extended warranty ANYWHERE. Shop around and play everyone off against each other. There is nothing superior about the Ford warranty. You shouldn't have to pay nearly that much for an extended warranty. I once bought a used vehicle from the Ford Dealer and bought the extended warranty from the GMC place. It worked out fine.

Kris

Old 11-27-2002, 08:11 PM
1956MarkII
Lead Driver

I've worked in sales and service for 16 years, and I'll tell you this: based on my own experience, if it's not a Ford warranty, don't waste your money. The other guys will tell you they cover the same things, but what they WON'T tell you about is the appraiser. He's the guy they send out to look your truck over for some reason to deny coverage. Or only pay for part of the repair. Or pay for the necessary parts but not fluids, filters, anti-freeze etc... What could they use to deny coverage? One company doesn't cover vehicles used comercially, and the existance of VOLUNTEER FIREMEN LICENSE PLATES to them constitutes commercial use. Ford doesn't use these tactics. Yes, their warranty costs more, but it's worth it in the end. Also, if your truck is well-equipped, then get Ford's PremiumCare coverage- it covers almost everything. What it doesn't cover is listed in a yellow shaded area of the PremiumCare brochure. IF IT'S NOT IN THAT BOX, THEN IT'S COVERED. You get what you pay for folks, and nowhere is it more apparent than extended warranties. Find a dealer that will sell it to you for, say, $100-200 over cost- you'd be hard-pressed to do better than that.

Old 11-27-2002, 11:14 PM
utvol1984
Senior User

MarkII I won't question your knowledge of and belief in the Ford extended warranty. I'm quite sure it's a very good warranty. Having purchased a couple of extended warranties over the years however, if you're just looking to cover the engine and drivetrain, I would think there's no need to pay top dollar just because it says Ford on it. Bottom line though is everyone should do what they're comfortable with.

Kris

Old 11-28-2002, 04:02 AM
whitebenz
Posting Guru

I just bought my Mustang from a local dealer and the extended warranty from a dealer in the next county because it was the best coverage for the best price. And it happens to be the Ford warrenty with all of the bells and whistles.

good luck,

dj

Old 12-01-2002, 11:13 PM
BigMattXXL
Postmaster

I bought it on my '99 Expy, but only for something like if the transmission were to explode, or the engine deep-6's. Otherwise, I just pay out of pocket for the little stuff and do it myself, 'cause I still would have a deductable.

The peace of mind is really nice.

XXL