1968-Present E-Series Van/Cutaway/Chassis Econolines. E150, E250, E350, E450 and E550

E150 - uneven rear brake wear

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 02:14 PM
bkr2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E150 - uneven rear brake wear

A persistent problem with our rear brakes has been dragging. We have replaced ALL parking brake cables over the past 18-24 months and they work freely. The self-adjusting pedal (not a great design to my mind) apparently does what it is supposed to as well.

I just replaced the rear drums and shoes after finding the left set 1/2 worn and the right set down to the rivets! We assumed this was due to past problems with cable dragging (which is why the cables were fixed in the past). No problems with dragging, and brakes work great.

After a short trip today - the first following use of the parking brake, which released smartly -- the right brakes smelled and seemed hot again, although there was no noticeable dragging while driving. I'm going to pull the wheel again, but it has worked fine for the past week.

Has anyone else had similar problems with brakes dragging? If it's the parking brake, it would be easy to back it off extra IF there was an adjustment (which there isn't)! ....

Old 10-07-2007, 10:23 PM
bkr2
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UPDATE: I just pulled the offending wheel and looked around - the wheel is fine, it's the "self-adjusting pedal" keepin gtoo much tension on the line. When I manually pull the cable it lets out about 2-3 inches and takes most of it back when released - but not all of it, leaving the rear brakes free. I guess the next thing is to look at replacing the pedal assembly....