Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

rear view mirror removal issues????

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2007, 09:29 AM
archangel
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
rear view mirror removal issues????

I picked up a mirror that has those 2 lights in it out of come sort of CHEBBY and want to swap out my stock one that has reflective issues right in the middle third.

OK then.

How hard can it be??

There has to be a screw in there holding it down, right?

I can't see one (with a small mirror and flashlight) or feel anything with an allen wrench, and I tried every size that would fit in the top or bottom slots!

I'm about to take a drimel to it and grind it of!

How in the frick does the damn thing come out?

?????

And I do have an aftermarket manual and it was no help.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:37 AM
radialarm
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It's glued on. Most of the time they just fall off. I don't have a clue how to take it off other than pulling on it. Maybe someone else has experence with removal.

Old 10-07-2007, 09:42 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
pulling on it is a good way t crack the windshield.

go to a windshield shop and ask them to remove it for you.

Old 10-07-2007, 10:38 AM
CT1987
New User
Just saw a thread where maybe i could help on maybe, i have an 87' F150 and the way my rear veiw mirror was on was the actual mirror slid over top of a metal tab thingy and a small allen screw on top kept it tight, the metal tab is glued on to the windsheild by some super industrial strength glue. Did that help?

Old 10-07-2007, 11:18 AM
kcb37
Senior User
CT1987 is right. Their should be a small screw, most likely allen or trox that holds the mirror bracket to the metal tab glued to the window. You will want to grab the mirror and tab though cause if you are using a chevy mirror in a ford the mirror may not go over the tab. Go to a glass store tell them you found one in a junkyard and don't want to rip it off and see if they have anything to get it off with. I would imagine some kind of solvent or something.

Old 10-07-2007, 12:10 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
the chevy mirror will not fit on the ford tab.

on most fords they no longer use the screw but a clip that is sometimes hard to get loose.

i stand by my advice of going to a shop.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:07 PM
kcb37
Senior User
He still needs the tab off of a chevy to put it on his. But I spose as long as he didn't break the mirror or bracket the junkyard winndow wouldn't really matter. I would have a glass shop put the new one on. Most will do that for free and they have better glue anyway.

Old 10-07-2007, 02:42 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Well, if I ever get the ford mirror of the metal mount, I'll be able to verify the CHEBBY mirror will not fit the ford mount, and it does have a torx screw right in the middle, but the ford mirror still fights my every attempt to remove it!

Old 10-07-2007, 02:48 PM
Old_Paint
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Umm, mine doesn't have the allen screw. Instead, it has a metal spring clip that has to be released. And, I can't believe you're having troubes getting the shoe off. They usually fall off, LOL. I've put mine back on about 3 times, and right now, the mirror (and mounting shoe) is laying between the stick and the cup holder on the bench seat. I'm used to using the wing mirrors anyway.

There should be a small notch at the bottom edge (I think, but could be the top). A small flatblade to push that spring, then slip it off the shoe by pushing up. Dunno when Ford changed to this arrangement, because my '86 bird has the allen screw. I had to have a windshield put in it, so that required removal of the shoe. I didn't see how the glass dealer did that.

Old 10-07-2007, 11:07 PM
fmr9
Elder User
I did a mirror swap to get the auto dimming feature. Since the new mirror used a different shapped metal button, and I didn't want to risk breaking the windshield removing it, I used the glue kit from the auto parts store, and glued the new button on to the old button that was still firmly attached to the windshield. Worked fine for about 6 months and the old button popped off the windshield on a below 0 deg day. Was a real hummer getting the two buttons apart, but a hammer and small chisel finally did it. Glued the new one back on the windshield and been good for over a year. Auto parts guy told me on extremely cold and extremely hot days he sells the glue kits pretty often.
My local u pull is about 1 mile away and charges $1 to have a look. Some times I go there to figure out how to get things apart. If I break something it at least learn how not to do it.
Good luck Frank

Old 10-09-2007, 10:10 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
I'll give the small screwdriver thing a try and see if I can get it to work.
Also I never had seen more than one size of button and have swaped more than a few, but we shall see.

Thank's for the help guys.

Old 10-17-2007, 09:24 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Well, now that I cut it off running my dremel down the side cutting off on of the side tabs, I can see how the spring held it in place.

The mirror mounted and fit perfectly so if there is a CHEBBY sized one, I have yet to see one.

Now all I need to do is get power to the mirror lights.

Old 10-18-2007, 06:27 PM
mhg
Fleet Mechanic
take a butane lighter and GENTLY heat up the button
with a pair of needle nose pliers gently twist the button
will pull right off after a little heat is applied

Old 10-19-2007, 04:56 PM
archangel
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by mhg
take a butane lighter and GENTLY heat up the button
with a pair of needle nose pliers gently twist the button
will pull right off after a little heat is applied
Well, the CHEBBY mirror fit the FORD button perfectly, so why would I want to heat it up and pull it off?

Old 10-19-2007, 06:21 PM
jroehl
Post Fiend
I've used several of the glue kits from AutoZombie over the years in different vehicles for different people without ANY problems. None of the mirrors I've reattached have come off to my knowledge. You simply have to follow the directions. An extremely clean windshield is a must (at least in the area the button goes). I use a standard window cleaner first, then, because I'm a painter, I'll use lacquer thinner (or xylene or whatever other strong, highly volatile solvent I have on hand), then I'll finish up with a denatured alcohol wipe. When it comes to the glue, follow the directions TO THE LETTER. One drop of glue on the button is plenty. More glue is NOT better, it makes the connection weak.

But, since the Chubby mirror fit the Ford button, you can just file this away for future reference.

My own mirror wasn't even on the windshield when I bought the truck. I found it tucked away in the center console after I drove it home from the stealership. I put it on a few days later, and it's been there since--almost 4 years ago now.

Jason

Quick Reply: rear view mirror removal issues????