1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I just got done installing the Daynatrac Free Spin Hub Conversion!

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 AM
GregN
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just got done installing the Daynatrac Free Spin Hub Conversion!

My truck is an early 1999 Ford F-250 7.3L. Overall the kit was pretty easy to install. Everything is high quality and quite precision. I was very surprised. A few tips to anybody contemplating this swap: 1-Dont even think about re-using the Unit bearing mounting studs (4 per hub) they are loctited on there and are almost impossible to remove (took 1 hour for one stud) the studs cost $5 ea from the Ford dealer and are worth every penny. 2-Might as well do ball joints at the same time (I did Moog ball joints) Rent a press for that. 3-Just doing the hub conversion should take a weekend if you take it slow and steady. If anybody has any questions about this kit feel free to contact me. I have pictures during the install as well as the experience of doing one fresh in my mind.

Old 10-04-2007, 09:27 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
When I replaced my hub bearings, I removed the studs in about a half hour. All it takes is a small torch ( "heat" ) and some WD-40, let soak over night. At $5 a piece that's $40 to help pay for ball joints. Vise grips or channel locks remove them well. I had to re-use all 8 of them in new bearing hubs. Wish I would have know about upgrade at that point. Helps to put hub bearing in a vise.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:10 AM
redford
Received 1,561 Likes on 909 Posts
Here is a link to the kit, if anyone is interested.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

Earlier this year they stated they were working on a kit for 2005+ trucks. I haven't seen that available yet.

Old 10-04-2007, 10:18 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Does any one know the best price for the kit ?

Old 10-04-2007, 11:03 AM
GregN
Senior User
I bought mine from 4 Wheel Parts (http://www.4wheelparts.com/ADT3.aspx) for $1,700. Pricey, definately, but that is about what the dealer would charge for installation of new factory bearings.

rugermack - I am glad that you had better luck removing your studs. I think the red loctite mixed with the midwest rust made it a little to difficult. I had the torch on the housing for a few minutes and I was barely able to turn it. I tried every penetrating oil/spray I had and none of it worked. I was applying roughly 150 lb/ft of reverse torque on that darn stud and it barely moved.

Old 10-04-2007, 11:09 AM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Looks like the price doesn't go down at all. I know its worth it, just wish we could find a good e-bay deal on it.

Old 10-04-2007, 02:18 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rugermack
When I replaced my hub bearings, I removed the studs in about a half hour. All it takes is a small torch ( "heat" ) and some WD-40, let soak over night. At $5 a piece that's $40 to help pay for ball joints. Vise grips or channel locks remove them well. I had to re-use all 8 of them in new bearing hubs. Wish I would have know about upgrade at that point. Helps to put hub bearing in a vise.
I would just buy the studs from www.powerstrokeshop.com you can get the studs alot cheaper from them then the dealer. If you don't have a torch or a vice... then it is a PITA to change them. The new ones take max about one minute to install.. saves alot of time

Old 10-04-2007, 02:31 PM
rugermack
Posting Guru
Always someone that doesn't agree with not wasting money.

Old 10-04-2007, 06:54 PM
GregN
Senior User
I would have ordered them if a) I would have known one of the sponsors supplied them, and b) I could have gotten them Monday morning after I figured out I needed them Sunday night at 7 PM.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
Layson
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by rugermack
Always someone that doesn't agree with not wasting money.
there is nothing wrong with saving some money. My first wheel bearing I reused the studs... but I spent more time screwing around with them then the rest of the install. I didn't know about getting new studs either.... second wheel bearing just came with them... it was quite a treat!!

But I didn't have a vice or a torch to help me out... just the double nut fun method...

Old 10-04-2007, 07:15 PM
IHbase
Elder User
Originally Posted by redford
Here is a link to the kit, if anyone is interested.

http://www.dynatrac.com/products_freespin_ford.html

Earlier this year they stated they were working on a kit for 2005+ trucks. I haven't seen that available yet.
Not sure why, lacking an cartrige failure, you would go through the trouble on 05-07 trucks. You already have 35-spline 1/2 shafts.

I assume those axles still have cartrige bearings, but it seems unlikely that those are failing (yet) - so it seems unreasonable to buy a kit containing many parts your truck already has.

-Mike

Old 10-04-2007, 07:16 PM
IHbase
Elder User
By the way- I think the same company has a lock-out kit for Dodge trucks. Expensive, but it does away with the central-axle disconnect. Pretty sweet.

-Mike

Old 10-04-2007, 07:24 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
A few things on various posts:

05-07 Ford Kits aren't available, and aren't in production yet. Test kits are out, no further word on it though.

$1700 is a deal for the Free Spin Kit, Dynatrac just had a price increase....so either 4wp had some kits on hand from the old price or are going be in for a surprise when they run the numbers

And yes, Dynatrac does make Dodge Free Spin kits as well.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:44 PM
GregN
Senior User
Actually 4WP charged me $1,700 (Free Shipping of 110 lbs), but Dynatrac only charged 4WP $1,450 for the kit. 4WP does not stock any of these kits. Dynatrac is actually backordered for them. I was quoted 3 weeks to get mine, but I received it in about a week and a half. If you plan on replacing your unit/hub assembly more than once in the life of your truck this kit is really worth it. It uses Timken bearings that you can get almost anywhere for $40 instead of a few hundred per side.

Old 10-04-2007, 07:57 PM
DCSpecial
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yep, they must have got the order in prior to the price increase.

And Dynatrac is pretty much always on backorder on the kits, Ford and Dodge. A few weeks ago their Ford batch was done and getting shipped out.

FYI, you can also get replacement bearings and seals directly from Dynatrac for a good price.

Quick Reply: I just got done installing the Daynatrac Free Spin Hub Conversion!