Sponsored by: DP Tuner

tranny talk (i searched)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 08:15 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
tranny talk (i searched) Suncoast or BTS plus some

ok i know trannies have been beat to death, but i could not find the answers needed. To start, i scheduled an appointment for the begining of august to go to BTS and get a tranny, but due to some circumstances i was forced to cancel.

now on to present day. my transmission has been getting more and more sloppy as the days go on. 1st and 2nd slip pretty good when i take off hard, and even when i take off slow they slip. now today i noticed that after i shift to 4 in the lower RPM range there is a thunk when i roll into the throttle, and i have no idea what it could be, i checked the carrier bearing, the transmission mount, and anything else in that area that it could be with no succuess as to what it could be so tonight i started planning what im gonna do when the tranny finally lets go. i have a couple options to choose from and would like yalls input on any and all of them. and even if you have a better option i would like to hear it. so here they are.

1.) i can order parts from suncoast that would include, extreme duty rebuild, new billet forward drum, trans go tugger, billet input shaft, and a PI converter(which is not SC). i can then take these parts to a local tranny shop and have them put them all in my transmission. also for this option i dont know if i should get the line pressure mod or not?? opinions welcomed

2.) i can order suncoast fully rebuilt transmisson with the extreme tow option, and then get the triple lock converter from PI. i could then drop mine and put this one in, and be done with it on a weekend. My question about this option, is has anybody put one of these trannys in there trucks? i would like to hear how you like it and if there was anything different you would do. i would also get the billet input shaft. also last question about this option for now is about how much power would this option, and the first option hold till. heres a link to the transmissionsuncoast tranny option #2

3.) i could have a BTS transmission shipped to me and get it over with. But what is the cost of the transmission, shipping, and what would the difference in price be between this and option #2.

This is all the information i have found, and i would greatly appreciate yalls input on this, as i dont trust my current transmission to last another 1,000 miles.

P.S. sorry its long, and i pre appologize for non capitilization.

thans, Austin

Last edited by my79f; 10-01-2007 at 08:29 PM.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd go with the BTS and get it over with. With either of the first two options, what kind of warranty are you going to get? I'm not sure that Suncoast would even warranty a trans without their converter in it, but I do not know that for sure. Say you went with option #2 though, you're looking at $2600 for the trans, plus $1000 for the PI converter. I think the BTS is running around the same price.

Call BTS to get a shipped price for a new trans, as I have no idea what shipping would be.

I can tell you that you'll have a no questions warranty with BTS though. Brian's said he doesn't care what you do with it, if it breaks he'll fix it. There are several good trans companies out there, but for me it's the service after the sale that is important. IMO, you can't beat BTS's service.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:23 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
thanks for the input JT. i know this question is something i should ask brian when i talk to him, but was there also a wait on the transmissions that get shipped like there is with going up to have them install it?

Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 PM
jtharvey
Lead Driver
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I would imagine the wait for a shipped unit would be less than having one installed, since they're not having to wait for an open bay in the shop that will take labor to drop and install yours.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:25 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just as Jeremy said, if you can go with BTS do it. But if you are close to Oklahoma (where in TX are you?) Jon Faubion (Faubion Motorsports) can build you one also. Brian (BTS) knows Jon and his work.

Old 10-01-2007, 10:28 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
what is this about faubion? i live in austin tx, but im in need of visiting some relatives in central OK haha. does he have a website i can go to?

Old 10-01-2007, 10:36 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
No website:

Faubion Motorsports
Chickasha, Oklahoma 73018

send me a PM and I'll get you the phone #. He's about 30 minutes south of Oklahoma City. He did an awesome job on my tranny and I've seen quite a few of the others he's built for some 400+ hp powerstokes rippin up the 1/4 mile track in Noble, OK (Thunder Valley).

Old 10-01-2007, 10:53 PM
my79f
Laughing Gas
PM sent...

Old 10-01-2007, 11:22 PM
ShayB
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can vouch that Jon is a really great guy. Last I heard, he was using PI convertors, but that could be incorrect information. Regardless, he's very trustworthy, which is half the battle finding that nowadays.

We have BTS trannys in both of our trucks. We've had Brian treat our club members awesome, almost to where you just don't believe what you are seeing/hearing. It is nice to just not have that worry anymore.

And, let me tell you, we are not the kind of people who have money to burn either, so I feel your pain. It took us a long time to save up for each tranny. We always work on our own trucks (with the help of friends), but for this very important component, we went with a professional. Not only for the tranny itself, but for the install. Going to Lead Hill was just an added bonus.

Putting a different convertor with a tranny can be asking for trouble, unless you have somebody doing it who knows what they are doing and if you can get warranty to cover it all. Brian has a certain way he installs convertors into the trans after he rebuilds, and you shouldn't mess with it. Just install the entire thing when it gets to you. Plus, Brian and Terry at PI are pretty much family. They work together on some things, and learn from each other. Terry is a great guy as well. It's a great combination.

Call around, ask for pricing, install help and warranty. It sucks to have to pay out that money, but do it right the first time and be done with it. Don't and you'll be paying for it for a long time. It's the one thing in my truck that I don't worry about at all.

Good luck, and when you do get a new tranny, get some new tuning to go with it.

Old 10-02-2007, 06:49 AM
PowerstrokeJunkie
Post Fiend
They didn't charge me anything to install mine, i guess it's included in the cost somewhere and those who opt to have them shipped out don't get a free installation. And it took one guy a WHOLE day to do it, including building and cleaning the trans and instaling my cooler. WHen you get one shipped you pay freight plus you pay the core charge $1000.

Old 10-02-2007, 07:52 AM
just another truck
Hotshot
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Do you have any chips, progammers, or ect? IF so, try a stock setting first..Sorry, dont want to get in the way of a new tranny, but, if you dont have too