How to Make Bio Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
turboman24
Senior User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Question How to Make Bio Diesel

OK so i am wondering if it is possible to make or brew your own biodiesel (science fair). I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel. I am just going to test the effects of biodiesel vs regualr diesel. EGT's, MPG. If it is possible to make biodiesel using home materials plus the cost of buying vegatable oil or any other kind of oil then please tell me how or give me a website that has specific directions. Also how safe is it to make biodiesel. I mean i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up. SO if any of you make biodiesel at your home and then dump it in the tank (if its possible) could you please make a direction write up for me. Then if it would be ok to site you in my reference page.

THanks Adam

Old 09-17-2007, 03:59 PM
kumarp
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go to this page http://www.biodieselcommunity.org for instructions.

I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to
spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel.
Are you talking about converting to straight vegetable oil (SVO)? Your statement is very confusing. Biodiesel requires no "conversion" for the vehicle.

Also how safe is it to make biodiesel.
If you mean to you personally, physically, making the fuel, you have to know what you are doing, and it's very similar to high school chemistry class.

If you mean to your vehicle, that all depends on the quality of your fuel.

I mean i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up.
This makes no sense. When you're making biodiesel, you do a chemical reaction that separates out the glycerin from the vegetable oil molecule. Biodiesel is used as a lubricity additive, it has such a high lubricity.

Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 AM
Red460
Senior User
Talking

Well Turboman24 as far as brewing your own at home your on your own, but go pick up January 2006 Diesel Power has a article on Biodiesel and April 2007 has a article Diesel Power also. Hope it helps.

Red460

Old 09-21-2007, 11:31 AM
stormyrider
Elder User
We have a couple of farmers here that buildt their own soybean processing unit to make biodiesel. It cooks the beans runs them through a press, then reheats them and press them again to get the most oil out of them. What is left they use as a cow feed additive.

Old 09-24-2007, 12:45 PM
Phydeaux88
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by turboman24
I need to be able to brew my own biodiesel at home because i am not going to spend 4 grand to convert my truck over to run on biodiesel.
You do not have to convert your truck to run on BioDiesel.

I am just going to test the effects of biodiesel vs regualr diesel. EGT's, MPG.
You should also evaluate the production of air pollutants

i have read things that say that without removing chemicals from the oil that act as delubricants you can burn injectors up.
Cleaning homemade BD is an absolute must.
There are several methods ranging from water washes to "dry washing" with Magnesol. Dry washing produces the best result with fewest problems.

The best source here is FABMANDELUX

Last edited by Phydeaux88; 09-24-2007 at 12:49 PM.