N. California Chapter Join Chapter , Leader: Nighteyez

Dang, took me long enough to figure it out....

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 09:48 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dang, took me long enough to figure it out....

Since my Dad passed away a few months back, been kinda on my own for certain things...today was an enlightenment on cutting with my torch...heck, I just couldn't get a clean cut...had the Oxy at 45lbs, Acy at 9 or so, but was leaving some severe crapon the backside and having a heck of a time cutting through this 3/16th without it welding itself back together.

Got to thinking about it for some time and knew I had enough heat to start the melt, so cranked up the cheapo GASPRO gauge up to 65 on the Oxy, and now the cuts were clean and bright

Something Dad would have told me the first time he saw me cut...aw well, we all have to learn on our own..would have used the plasma cutter, but didn't feel like dragging it out today (did get it fixed though, took Dan's advice and mounted a squirell cage fan on it for exhaust)..and figured I should be able to cut this metal without isuues...juast took some time to figure out the weak link.

FWIW, 65lbs on the Oxy is way too high...basically means the gauge on this "Just like a Victor" setup is pure junk, not accurate at all...nevr had to have the Oxy higher than 40 to cut through 1/2 inch with the old Victor setup we had...leasy I know now what to look for with a poor cut.

Good news is I now have the frame on the '36 fully boxed in...nedd to do some trimming here and there...then decide if I want to fully weld it in or eave it as-is...but it's gotten me to the point I can now start setting up the 4-bar for the rear and assembling the rest of the IFS to get the proper rake on the truck I'm after...just a subtle rake, just enough to make it look like "hey, I would have raked it more" or "Hey, I would have left it all low"...ya know, something in the middle with just a bit of attitude

Old 09-29-2007, 10:29 PM
WillyB
Post Fiend
Mike, forgive me, I should have been paying more attention. I did not know you had lost your dad. You have my deepest sympathies.

When I lost mine it took me a couple of years to get back on track.

We all lose when one of the old timers go.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:37 PM
3Mike6
Postmaster
Ya, been a few months, I had to take some time to get a grip on things and such...I'm not much for posting up things like that...but we're getting back on track now. Only real issues I have these days is when I go into his shop and see stuff laying here or there that he was going to pick up or put away...just haven't gotten to the point yet that I can do it.

Weird, but he'll be happy looking down on the '36 when it's done

Thanks for the thoughts, didn't mean for this post to be that way though.

Old 10-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Nighteyez
FTE Chapter Leader

Received 120 Likes on 116 Posts
That is too bad about your dad, my condolences. That is cool that you figured out the welding problem, I don't know anything about welding, so would not have been able to help you at all.

Old 10-04-2007, 12:44 AM
sierraben
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mike, sorry about the loss of your dad.

Never had a dad; left when I was 1 or 2 years old.

Also, never knew how to properly use a torch, but none the less I always had fun with it, along with buzz boxes