2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

My 07 Limited 10k mile ailments. Semi-long

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 05:39 PM
rbarbot2
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My 07 Limited 10k mile ailments. Semi-long

Took the 07 Limited in today for 10k service with my list of warranty issues in hand. Thought you all might want to compare.

1.) A/C control unit intermittently cuts out when using the AUTO mode. It seemd when the unit gets to the desired temp it decides to freak out. The blower slows (as it should) but you can't bring it back by lowering the temp. Going to MANUAL mode the fan +- switch operates in reverse. The head unit was replaced at 6k. Less failures now but still an issue. Not optimistic on a fix.

2.) Loud buzzing sound from rear of vehicle when front AC blower is on HIGH. Thought it was the fuel pump or something. Today, I discovered the inside cabin pressure is causing the right rear pop-out window to vibrate furiously. They don't know if there is an adjustment to tighten the pop-out. Maybe a new seal or ???

3.) Driver door wind noise on freeway. Thought it was a bad seal, then researched and found TSB on this boards re: bad mirrors. Did the diagnostic myself by placing tape down the trailing edge of mirror and viola...noise stopped. They need to order new mirror assembly.

4.) Passenger door Expedition emblem falling off.

5.) Had 1 scary activation of the collision avoidance system around 4k miles. Getting on circular freeway onramp around 40 mph (quick for the turn but not unsafe, no tire squealing etc..) the sytem activated slowing the engine and pulsing the brakes. Thought THAT was going to make me crash. Nothing since.

6.) About 5 activations of the traction control while pulling the boat trailer. Thought this was only supposed to come on when the wheels slipped. Several times I have gone to start up a hill from a stop and the motor power gets cut by the system and the "slippery road" lamp comes on, causing me to roll back. This has happened on dry firm roadway and the wheels aren't slippnig. Starting off in "1" gear seems to avoid this , but shouldn't have to IMHO. The front of the manual says that this system (along with collision avoidance) records your driving characteristics along with the system activations. Wonder if any lawyers are going to be able to access this info before Ford gets their hands on it when the first wrongful death suit comes along. Personally, I think any system that is going to take control of the vehicle away from me should be fail-proof. This one certainly is not.

Old 09-21-2007, 12:10 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Well join the club! I have/had the following issues

1) Brakes-Truck pulls to the left while braking at freeway speeds. Engineer coming out Tuesday to check. Ford is stumped after replacing brake pads, caliper, etc.

2) Wind noise like you mentioned. Bad on driver side. Need to have dealer replace mirror. I to thought it was a seal problem.

3) Rattling rear hatch. They replaced a missing part, fixed.

4) Alignment off. They fixed that.

5) Paint missing on rear glass hatch. Flat black paint missing. Fixed that.

6) Squeaks from the dash while going over bumps, etc. I fixed 60% of them by removing the dash section over the instruments. I put blue masking tape over the holes where the metal clips enter the holes. Also I put small felt pads-the kind you put on the bottom of a lamp- at the left, center, and right of where this dash part mates to the rest of the dash. Fixed. There are a few more than sound like they come from the ac vents. I am not sure.

7) Driver seat rubbing on the plastic on the pillar between the front and rear driver seats. I pushed the plastic onto the pillar and the seat clears this now.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:22 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Originally Posted by rbarbot2
Took the 07 Limited in today for 10k service with my list of warranty issues in hand. Thought you all might want to compare.

1.) A/C control unit intermittently cuts out when using the AUTO mode. It seemd when the unit gets to the desired temp it decides to freak out. The blower slows (as it should) but you can't bring it back by lowering the temp. Going to MANUAL mode the fan +- switch operates in reverse. The head unit was replaced at 6k. Less failures now but still an issue. Not optimistic on a fix.

2.) Loud buzzing sound from rear of vehicle when front AC blower is on HIGH. Thought it was the fuel pump or something. Today, I discovered the inside cabin pressure is causing the right rear pop-out window to vibrate furiously. They don't know if there is an adjustment to tighten the pop-out. Maybe a new seal or ???

3.) Driver door wind noise on freeway. Thought it was a bad seal, then researched and found TSB on this boards re: bad mirrors. Did the diagnostic myself by placing tape down the trailing edge of mirror and viola...noise stopped. They need to order new mirror assembly.

5.) Had 1 scary activation of the collision avoidance system around 4k miles. Getting on circular freeway onramp around 40 mph (quick for the turn but not unsafe, no tire squealing etc..) the sytem activated slowing the engine and pulsing the brakes. Thought THAT was going to make me crash. Nothing since.

6.) About 5 activations of the traction control while pulling the boat trailer. Thought this was only supposed to come on when the wheels slipped. Several times I have gone to start up a hill from a stop and the motor power gets cut by the system and the "slippery road" lamp comes on, causing me to roll back. This has happened on dry firm roadway and the wheels aren't slippnig. Starting off in "1" gear seems to avoid this , but shouldn't have to IMHO. The front of the manual says that this system (along with collision avoidance) records your driving characteristics along with the system activations. Wonder if any lawyers are going to be able to access this info before Ford gets their hands on it when the first wrongful death suit comes along. Personally, I think any system that is going to take control of the vehicle away from me should be fail-proof. This one certainly is not.
I just had this happen for the second time today.. Same window as you, it was buzzing like crazy.. I had to crack them open a hair to get it rid of it.. Not sure what is causing that, both times it has been really windy outside. Please post the fix if you find one, but this is one of those things that is hard to reproduce and will leave the service clerk staring at you with a blank look on their face when you try to explain it..

Old 09-24-2007, 01:47 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by rjd75
I just had this happen for the second time today.. Same window as you, it was buzzing like crazy.. I had to crack them open a hair to get it rid of it.. Not sure what is causing that, both times it has been really windy outside. Please post the fix if you find one, but this is one of those things that is hard to reproduce and will leave the service clerk staring at you with a blank look on their face when you try to explain it..
There are two TSBs for wind noise. I don't recall the numbers, but one is for the window seal/channel and the other is for the mirror. What you have sounds like the channel.

TSB 07-8-6 WIND NOISE AROUND FRONT DOORS

Publication Date: April 11, 2007

FORD: 2007 Expedition
LINCOLN: 2007 Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2007 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built before 12/6/2006 may experience wind noise around the exterior driver and/or passenger doors. This may be most noticeable near the b-pillar area of the door.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check the build date of the vehicle.
If the build date of the vehicle is before 12/1/2006, continue to Step 2.
If the build date of the vehicle is on or after 12/1/2006, continue to Step 3.
Verify that the glass run inserts at the b-pillar corner are still in the correct position (Figure 1).
First roll down the window and peel back the inner flocked sealing lip in the b-pillar corner.
There will be two inserts located in the corner. They should both be touching in the corner and at a 90 degree angle.
Sometimes they can shift or fall down into the channel. After verifying the correct plug position, continue to Step 3.

Figure 1 - Article 07-8-6

NOTE: SOME TRUCKS BUILT DURING THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER MAY NOT HAVE THE TWO (2) INSERTS MENTIONED IN STEP 2, THERE MAY BE A SINGLE MOLDED PLUG INSTEAD. IF THERE IS A SINGLE MOLDED PLUG AS SHOWN IN FIGURE 1, CONTINUE TO STEP 3.

With the front door window in the up position, inspect the b-pillar metal carrier for being slightly bowed out and not making contact to the outside glass surface. (Figure 2)
To adjust, compress the b-pillar metal carrier inward just below the b-pillar corner to ensure it seals to the glass. This can be done by rolling the window down and pressing inward in the location mentioned above.
NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER COMPRESS THE METAL B-PILLAR CARRIER.

Continue to Step 4.

Figure 2 - Article 07-8-6

With the window in the up position, inspect the front glass run for any gaps by running a piece of paper between the glass run and window to determine any areas where sealing may be an issue (Figure 3).
Make sure to run the paper along both the inside and outside sealing surfaces of the window to glass run interface.
If a piece of paper freely slips between the glass run and the window at any location, there may be a sealing issue and the glass run needs to be replaced.

Figure 3 - Article 07-8-6

NOTE: IF THE WIND NOISE CONCERN IS STILL PRESENT AFTER PERFORMING THIS SERVICE PROCEDURE, CONTINUE WITH NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSIS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7L1Z-7821546-AA Glass Run - Right
7L1Z-7821547-AA Glass Run - Left

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
070806A 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace The Glass Run, Includes Time To Follow Service Procedure: One Door (23943A, 23943A14, 21596A) 0.9 Hr.
070806B 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace The Glass Run, Includes Time To Follow Service Procedure: Both Doors (23943A, 23943A14, 21596A) 1.7 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7821546/7821547 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

Old 09-24-2007, 03:11 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Thanks for your help Berry1234.. I do have the front wind noise which has been confirmed by Ford and my mirror is on order. But this is a different problem.. the noise we are talking about is a buzzing sound, that comes from the rear passenger quarter window that power tilts open at the back. There is a certain condition of exterior/interior air that makes this window buzz as though it is not sealed all the way. Not sure if any of you did this a kid but the noise is similar to blowing into a smarties box.. In short, extremely annoying.. and difficult to reproduce due to the unknown circumstances that cause it..

Old 09-24-2007, 04:03 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Thanks for your help Berry1234.. I do have the front wind noise which has been confirmed by Ford and my mirror is on order. But this is a different problem.. the noise we are talking about is a buzzing sound, that comes from the rear passenger quarter window that power tilts open at the back. There is a certain condition of exterior/interior air that makes this window buzz as though it is not sealed all the way. Not sure if any of you did this a kid but the noise is similar to blowing into a smarties box.. In short, extremely annoying.. and difficult to reproduce due to the unknown circumstances that cause it..
Ahh. Gotcha you. Have you tried seeing if the seal is air tight? Take a strip of paper and see if you can pull it through while the window is closed.

Old 09-25-2007, 12:51 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Was at the dealer today and had them look at the window, luckily it was making the noise and I was there with the mechanic. I think we have it figured out.. There is a little round puck that is glued to the window and that is where the motor assembly is attached with a single screw to this puck. It appears that the passenger side puck is mounted slightly lower and off center than the driver's side. This would expain the noise as it is coming from the top of the window. The assumption is that it is pulling the bottom in tighter than the top and causing the vibration. Not taking any chances that the window is deformed, the mechanic is going to order a whole new window which will come with a new puck. I have to say this dealer is impressing me more and more with their customer service..

As a side note, I finally had my new mirror installed today! No more wind noise!!!

Old 09-25-2007, 02:34 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Was at the dealer today and had them look at the window, luckily it was making the noise and I was there with the mechanic. I think we have it figured out.. There is a little round puck that is glued to the window and that is where the motor assembly is attached with a single screw to this puck. It appears that the passenger side puck is mounted slightly lower and off center than the driver's side. This would expain the noise as it is coming from the top of the window. The assumption is that it is pulling the bottom in tighter than the top and causing the vibration. Not taking any chances that the window is deformed, the mechanic is going to order a whole new window which will come with a new puck. I have to say this dealer is impressing me more and more with their customer service..

As a side note, I finally had my new mirror installed today! No more wind noise!!!
Nice. I am glad people are getting some items taken care of! I bet that window is not cheap either. Is it the one with the antenna in it?

Old 09-25-2007, 09:02 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Yes it is the one with the antenna in it.. Well, that's the cost of doing business if it is not done right the first time!

Old 09-26-2007, 11:41 AM
cjgeorge32
Junior User
Barry 1234...What was the part on the rear hatch that was missing?

Old 09-26-2007, 11:42 AM
cjgeorge32
Junior User
Originally Posted by berry1234
There are two TSBs for wind noise. I don't recall the numbers, but one is for the window seal/channel and the other is for the mirror. What you have sounds like the channel.

TSB 07-8-6 WIND NOISE AROUND FRONT DOORS

Publication Date: April 11, 2007

FORD: 2007 Expedition
LINCOLN: 2007 Navigator

ISSUE:
Some 2007 Expedition and Navigator vehicles built before 12/6/2006 may experience wind noise around the exterior driver and/or passenger doors. This may be most noticeable near the b-pillar area of the door.

ACTION:
Follow the Service Procedure steps to correct the condition.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Check the build date of the vehicle.
If the build date of the vehicle is before 12/1/2006, continue to Step 2.
If the build date of the vehicle is on or after 12/1/2006, continue to Step 3.
Verify that the glass run inserts at the b-pillar corner are still in the correct position (Figure 1).
First roll down the window and peel back the inner flocked sealing lip in the b-pillar corner.
There will be two inserts located in the corner. They should both be touching in the corner and at a 90 degree angle.
Sometimes they can shift or fall down into the channel. After verifying the correct plug position, continue to Step 3.

Figure 1 - Article 07-8-6

NOTE: SOME TRUCKS BUILT DURING THE MONTH OF NOVEMBER MAY NOT HAVE THE TWO (2) INSERTS MENTIONED IN STEP 2, THERE MAY BE A SINGLE MOLDED PLUG INSTEAD. IF THERE IS A SINGLE MOLDED PLUG AS SHOWN IN FIGURE 1, CONTINUE TO STEP 3.

With the front door window in the up position, inspect the b-pillar metal carrier for being slightly bowed out and not making contact to the outside glass surface. (Figure 2)
To adjust, compress the b-pillar metal carrier inward just below the b-pillar corner to ensure it seals to the glass. This can be done by rolling the window down and pressing inward in the location mentioned above.
NOTE: BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVER COMPRESS THE METAL B-PILLAR CARRIER.

Continue to Step 4.

Figure 2 - Article 07-8-6

With the window in the up position, inspect the front glass run for any gaps by running a piece of paper between the glass run and window to determine any areas where sealing may be an issue (Figure 3).
Make sure to run the paper along both the inside and outside sealing surfaces of the window to glass run interface.
If a piece of paper freely slips between the glass run and the window at any location, there may be a sealing issue and the glass run needs to be replaced.

Figure 3 - Article 07-8-6

NOTE: IF THE WIND NOISE CONCERN IS STILL PRESENT AFTER PERFORMING THIS SERVICE PROCEDURE, CONTINUE WITH NORMAL WORKSHOP MANUAL DIAGNOSIS.

PART NUMBER PART NAME
7L1Z-7821546-AA Glass Run - Right
7L1Z-7821547-AA Glass Run - Left

WARRANTY STATUS:
Eligible Under Provisions Of New Vehicle Limited Warranty Coverage
IMPORTANT: Warranty coverage limits/policies are not altered by a TSB. Warranty coverage limits are determined by the identified causal part.

OPERATION DESCRIPTION TIME
070806A 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace The Glass Run, Includes Time To Follow Service Procedure: One Door (23943A, 23943A14, 21596A) 0.9 Hr.
070806B 2007 Expedition/Navigator: Replace The Glass Run, Includes Time To Follow Service Procedure: Both Doors (23943A, 23943A14, 21596A) 1.7 Hrs.

DEALER CODING
BASIC PART NO. CONDITION CODE
7821546/7821547 07

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

NOTE: The information in Technical Service Bulletins is intended for use by trained, professional technicians with the knowledge, tools, and equipment to do the job properly and safely. It informs these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or provides information that could assist in proper vehicle service. The procedures should not be performed by "do-it-yourselfers". Do not assume that a condition described affects your car or truck. Contact a Ford, Lincoln, or Mercury dealership to determine whether the Bulletin applies to your vehicle. Warranty Policy and Extended Service Plan documentation determine Warranty and/or Extended Service Plan coverage unless stated otherwise in the TSB article. The information in this Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) was current at the time of printing. Ford Motor Company reserves the right to supercede this information with updates. The most recent information is available through Ford Motor Company's on-line technical resources.

Copyright © 2007 Ford Motor Company

How do you find out when your truck was built?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:41 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
Originally Posted by cjgeorge32
Barry 1234...What was the part on the rear hatch that was missing?

The paper work says:

Install locking clips for release handle rods-rattling on inside panel.

It would make a clicking/squeaking while going slow like through a parking lot or over speed bumps.

Also, the manufactured date is on the door frame on the drivers door. It's on the sticker that has the tire info, etc.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:03 PM
rjd75
Senior User
Originally Posted by rbarbot2

I was walking up to my truck today and I noticed my driver side emblem is peeling off! This is ridiculous! One thing solved and another problem shows up.. Guess I will mention it when I bring it in to get the window replaced.. Luckily I have a lot of time on my hands to visit the dealer every week.. (yes I am being VERY sarcastic)

Old 09-26-2007, 03:21 PM
berry1234
Postmaster
I was walking up to my truck today and I noticed my driver side emblem is peeling off! This is ridiculous! One thing solved and another problem shows up.. Guess I will mention it when I bring it in to get the window replaced.. Luckily I have a lot of time on my hands to visit the dealer every week.. (yes I am being VERY sarcastic)
I know how you feel. I told the service manager I see you more than my girlfriend, and this is not a good thing.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:47 PM
dds1962
New User
2007 EB Expedition - Feel your pain

I have quite a list myself for the warranty...

We purchased a 2007 Eddie Bauer Expedition in July. And I love this vehicle. But...I think my Exp has a gremlin! This vehicle has been back to the dealer now 3 times and going back again. They can not figure out what's wrong with it, of course the problems don't or they say they don't happen for them. We have some wind noise on the driver's side and they haven't figured that one out either. They finally ordered a new mirror about a month ago. Here's a few that I have noticed so far.

1) CD Player has a mind of it's own. Turned the engine on and the CD player is cycling, looking for a CD. There are no CD's in the player.
2) Noticed the DVD player came on when I shut the engine off, so, opened the driver's side door and everything should have ceased working when I opened that door. I actually ended up getting into the 2nd row seat looking for a power button to turn it off. No DVD in the player.
3) A/C. Doesn't matter how slow or fast you are going it has turned off and right back on. (Doesn't do this all the time.) And then the other day, the A/C would NOT turn off. I always turn the A/C off before shutting the engine off. Pressed the off button, 'Auto' light goes out, but the A/C fan is blowing on high. I went ahead and turned the engine off and when I started it up, all was good. Go figure!!
4)And yesterday, I pulled the handle to open my door and something snapped. The handle on the inside is loose now. I can still open the door okay.
5) emblem-noticed on driver's side-looks warped! and the emblem on the passenger side-paint is peeling OUT of the letters.

I am making my list, documenting when these things have happened and I plan on spending the whole day at the dealer's next week. The Service Department has not been the friendliest that I have encountered. Any problems resolved or any ideas? I would like to hear from you. Thanks!

Quick Reply: My 07 Limited 10k mile ailments. Semi-long