1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Stopping Rattles - 48 F-3

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:14 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Unhappy Stopping Rattles - 48 F-3

I've been chasing rattles in my 48. One significant rattle is under the dash. My stock vacuum windshield wiper arm lever that operates the passenger side wiper rattles! I don't know how I'd stop it from rattling since anything done to stop it might bind it up. Anyone else run into this? The wiper works great otherwise. I'm also hearing rattles in the doors. What might be rattling in there and what, if anything, have you done to stop those?

Old 09-29-2007, 10:15 AM
Kusto
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
For the wiper arm try applying some heavy grease lubricant to the pivot joints so as to form a film between the two metal parts. The rattle in the doors are likely due to the window regulators being loose. You may need to install a new anti-rattle kit or use a similar technique of lubricating the moving parts within the door.

Old 09-29-2007, 12:08 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Vern, Vern, Vern,------

Them Rattles got part numbers on them, look in the back of the parts book, their right by the Flathead V8 Engine block crack numbers.

Old 09-29-2007, 01:46 PM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Vern, Vern, Vern,------

Them Rattles got part numbers on them, look in the back of the parts book, their right by the Flathead V8 Engine block crack numbers.
What can I say Dick? You're sooooo dang helpful!...

I think the fact that the 48-50 trucks have no upholstery on the door panels exaggerates the noises...

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 09-29-2007 at 01:50 PM.
Old 09-29-2007, 04:26 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Earplugs, man! Take two, and call me in the morning...

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
I've been chasing rattles in my 48.What might be rattling in there and what, if anything, have you done to stop those?

Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by rcav8or
Earplugs, man! Take two, and call me in the morning...

Thank you Dr. Phillips...some have suggested the noises might be marbles rattling around in my head. If that's the case the earplugs wouldn't help!

Last edited by GreatNorthWoods; 09-30-2007 at 06:18 AM.
Old 09-30-2007, 08:46 AM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If grease won't help the wiper, one way to stop vibration-caused rattles is to increase the weight of the piece. This changes its natural frequency. A wad of electrical tape, a clamp-on (set-screw) weight, etc. or if there's room, drill and tap for a bolt.

Old 09-30-2007, 11:20 AM
49fordpickumup
Elder User
Rattles

Two part rubber coating that sets up.Just a dab will change freq.of noise or coat all of it. Flexible or rigid tubing made of rubber or plastics. Ie: surgical tubing. How about plastic soda straws you find at Burger King/Mc's/Wendys etc. I've seen aluminum tubing with a rubberized clear coat. Hope this will give you ideas. Have a great day,chuck

Old 09-30-2007, 12:18 PM
rcav8or
If you use it, SUPPORT IT
Actually, a lot of rattles are because the distance between the two anchor points is such, that the piece in between "floats" in between them. This allows it to rattle, as it vibrates in the holes. One good remedy is to either lengthen or shorten the piece in between, by either putting a slight bend in it, so that it shortens it enough, that it rests on the inside of the holes at all times, eliminating the rattle, or using a plastic bushing in the hole, so it doesn't rattle. The other way is to increase the distance very slightly of the anchor points, doing the same thing, so that it's under very slight pressure in the holes, getting rid of the rattle.

30 years of working on a myriad of equipment has taught me this.

R

Old 09-30-2007, 01:59 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
GNW, does your linkage have the spring clips on each end? If they were good and tight, I would think that would stop the rattle on the wipers.

The window regulators are a pain. They are pretty cheaply made, I mean no actual bearings you could replace. I've seen people stuff a roll of leather in between the pieces to shut them up. Maybe dense foam would work too?

Old 09-30-2007, 03:14 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Old Flannel Shirts, oil/grease added.
I know they are had to part with but they work.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:16 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
Vern,

Ok, you've had alot of advice already on this but I have the definative answer for you for the wiper arm rattle. Remove all the offending passengers side related wiper parts, wrap them tighlty in bubble wrap and package them in a box and mail them out here to the deserts of New Mexico. I'll sacrifice my sanity and dillagently drive my truck around with your annoying rattles. No, no, really, I don't mind. It will be worth it to me knowing that you are able to drive your truck around in peace and quiet.....

Bobby

Old 10-01-2007, 10:31 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Some good ideas here. I'll try some of them. Thanks all.

Bobby, while I appreciate the thought, I need my wipers more than you do out there in the desert where it hardly ever rains...

If I even decide to convert it to an electric system I'll keep you in mind...

Old 10-01-2007, 10:34 AM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,832 Likes on 1,833 Posts
No problem, just trying to help a fellow FTE'er out. I wouldn't make the sacrifice for just anybody

I've been searching for the stock passenger side wiper linkage for my 49. I'll convert it to electric but it would sure be nice to start with the factory linkage.

Here's another suggestion for your rattles----Get a better sound system! Then crank the volume ****, rip it of and toss it out the window...problem solved (I know, I know...I'm alot of help huh?)

Good luck with it
Bobby

Old 10-01-2007, 12:38 PM
Gary E
Laughing Gas
Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts
how about felt washers on the wiper assembly?

Quick Reply: Stopping Rattles - 48 F-3