Modular V10 (6.8l)  

Installed new Y-pipe. Impressed with results

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2008, 07:28 AM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You guys think this mod may have negative impact on emmission tests???
Maybe Ford's Y-pipe was developed acording to emission factors???
We'll get mandatory emmission tests here in the near future and wish to know if I should
keep oryginal Y-pipe in a closet.LOL
Thanks.

Old 05-14-2008, 08:41 AM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 297 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by ZBIGBIG19TH
We'll get mandatory emmission tests here in the near future and wish to know if I should
keep oryginal Y-pipe in a closet.
The way the history goes, from the guys who went through it with the '00 trucks was...

The 2000 V10 was the higher-output one with "PI" heads. It had this exhaust flutter that some guys found disturbing to the point of bringing it back to the dealer repeatedly hoping they would do something about it.

Ford eventually came out with the restricted y-pipe for 2001, and retro-fitted it to the 2000's that came back for warranty on the flutter issue.

I think the engineering behind it is, the restrictions elongate the exhaust pulse, which causes more overlap and less resonance.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:25 AM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
In theory, replacing just the Y-pipe should not have any effect on the emmisions. The same amount of exhaust gases are going through the new less restrictive y-pipe as the stock pipe. Also remeber a set of headers like the Banks and Thorley headers are 50 emmisions legal and they replace the y-pipe as well as the exhaust manifolds. As long as you leave the stock cat you should pass the sniffer.

Old 05-14-2008, 09:47 AM
chris60
Senior User
Originally Posted by ZBIGBIG19TH
keep oryginal Y-pipe in a closet.LOL
Thanks.
As far as emmissions, no problem, We have mandatory aircare in Vancouver, & my 1st 2000 V-10 truck got a ''fast pass" , so it was running well below with the limits with custom Y-pipe & as of this year, vehicles 7 years & newer are excempt, So you should be ok. Its a great Mod. Probably more effective on the later 2000 year & newer as that T-pipe looks really bad.

Old 05-15-2008, 08:05 AM
ZBIGBIG19TH
Elder User
Thanks guys,I'll do this mod then.

Old 05-16-2008, 01:31 PM
knowitall
New User
I have not been on this forum in a couple of years, I was just bored at work and wonted to see what was goin on. In 2002 i bought an V10 truck. The forum at that time was buzzing about the Y pipe. My truck was lifted big tires and the whole thing, I used it to tow a huge toy hauler. i needed more power, I did all different stuff to the exhaust. The best results for me was the stock Y pipe, take out the cat, and use a flowmaster 3 chamber Muff.

Old 05-19-2008, 03:14 AM
skipperw
Elder User
I have to get the last word. GET Y PIPE.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:59 AM
cc322
More Turbo
Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts
Over the years there has been alot written on the Y pipe mod, and for the life of me I cant bring myself to do it I have done a search and it apperas to me that some have experienced a loss of low end torque, which I cannot have (tow boat). The question I have is how could it be some people love this mod and say it has helped out all the way through the power band, while others say they have a noticeable loss of low end power. If everybodys results were the same (positive) I would have done it by now. Just curious.......ok lets hear it

Old 05-19-2008, 03:59 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
cc322, what's interesting is all the people who've done it in the past two years or so, I don't think one single person has complained about loss of low-end torque.

But before that? I don't know. It was 50/50 maybe.

I could be wrong

If you look further into all those people who've complained about loss of low-end, did they do anything else BESIDES just the y-pipe at the time? Did any of them do headers, that may have been large-tube headers?

Go too big on the primary pipes? Go too far away from equal-length primaries (sure to screw up scavenging at low RPMs) or some other design of the y-pipe?

Just curious, I'd love more research done on this...

Old 05-20-2008, 03:41 AM
skipperw
Elder User
Did nothing but Y pipe. Do it right now!!

Old 05-22-2008, 12:19 PM
PROSTOCK
Fleet Mechanic
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Originally Posted by cc322
Over the years there has been alot written on the Y pipe mod, and for the life of me I cant bring myself to do it I have done a search and it apperas to me that some have experienced a loss of low end torque, which I cannot have (tow boat). The question I have is how could it be some people love this mod and say it has helped out all the way through the power band, while others say they have a noticeable loss of low end power. If everybodys results were the same (positive) I would have done it by now. Just curious.......ok lets hear it
I'm hesitant as well, but for different reasons as I don't think you'll suffer any power loss. BUT, I don't want the dreaded flutter!

Then you have folks that say.....

Originally Posted by skipperw
Did nothing but Y pipe. Do it right now!!
So, what should I do?

Old 05-22-2008, 12:32 PM
Navistar
Freshman User
Do it. No Flutter from the e-bay pipe. I tow my fifth wheel over Donner Pass enroute to Lake Tahoe its a mighty 7,085 foot tug. I can pass the oil burners with comparable trailers in tow.

Old 05-22-2008, 01:53 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
I had "flutter" with the stock setup - now with headers, it actually got a little quieter. I never realized I had it until I listened to Monsta's sound clip.

Y-pipe? Who knows, who cares? I'm going to do it anyway...

Old 05-23-2008, 06:43 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by krewat
The way the history goes, from the guys who went through it with the '00 trucks was...

The 2000 V10 was the higher-output one with "PI" heads. It had this exhaust flutter that some guys found disturbing to the point of bringing it back to the dealer repeatedly hoping they would do something about it.

Ford eventually came out with the restricted y-pipe for 2001, and retro-fitted it to the 2000's that came back for warranty on the flutter issue.

I think the engineering behind it is, the restrictions elongate the exhaust pulse, which causes more overlap and less resonance.
Well now I know why my Y-pipe never looked like the pics everyone posted of the stock y-pipe. I never knew the 2000 had a factory fatter y-pipe. I was always wondering if the PO replaced it with an aftermarket pipe.
My question now is anyone with a 2000 "fat y-pipe" replace it and have good results?

Old 05-23-2008, 07:11 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Originally Posted by Monster-4
My question now is anyone with a 2000 "fat y-pipe" replace it and have good results?
In what way? Reducing flutter? Or performance?

Quick Reply: Installed new Y-pipe. Impressed with results