dkf, keep us posted on the Thorley's.

Old 09-29-2007, 05:21 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Antelope V-10
dkf, keep us posted on the Thorley's.
I should get them monday or tuesday.

I'll get some pics of the headers and installed pics and post them in my gallery eventually.

I'm getting a local shop to install them, I have enough headaches on my plate right now. Think I'll just pay to get them put on.

Old 10-06-2007, 10:46 PM
Shasta69
Junior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I put the EBay purchase on my 01 F350 last summer.

Used a sawzall to cut off the stock y-pipe and promptly cut a new opening in the oil filter.

After an emergent oil change and filter replacement, I continued cutting till I noticed I didn't measure to remove enough passenger side pipe from the exhaust manifold.

Another ten minutes of measuring and cutting, I came across that stock pipe resting across my brow.

After my Jake LaLane overhead bench press to place the new Y-Pipe, hilarity ensued when my father, operating the amperage dial on my Miller stick welder, increased the amperage verses lowering it and allowing a healthy deposit of 6011 arc on the joining metal masses.

No problem, a couple cold passes, grind (watching out for the new oil filter), weld, grind again, weld... hey thats looks like a weld!

Couple more welding rods later, a spatter burn in my inner ear, and a gooy mess on the back of my head (Remember the oil leaked on the ground), took nearly 2 hours for the install.

I reattached the battery cables and the truck fired right up. I immediately noticed a quicker throttle response and quicker return to idle.

A change of clothes found me behind the wheel and down the county road. I was able to make the tires chirp from a stand still (I don't beat my machines, just the vehicles my neighbors loan me) and noticable improvement for acceleration.

Haven't heard any flutter, but after spending eight years in shipboard engine rooms... The wife thinks it selective hearing....

I picked up nearly 1.5mpg and if has paid for itself already.

The spec:
2001 Crew Cab short box with 26575r16 / 3.73 gears / 4 wd / 7100lbs with full load of fuel.

Am I happy? Well the oil came out of my hair, the welds still look good, and the stain is still in the driveway.

Absolutely would do it again. It's an easy increase on HP/TQ/MPG.

The following users liked this post:
Old 10-07-2007, 12:49 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
Shasta69, WELCOME to FTE!

And with a funny story

Old 10-07-2007, 07:27 PM
ATXZJ
Junior User
I am strongly considering buying one of the e-bay Ys. What has been your experience with 99s? Any noticeable differance?

I was also thinking of doing the FM70 muffler only at the same time. My biggest concern is low end torque, any loss would be unacceptable, no matter what the upper RPM gains are.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus

Old 10-08-2007, 02:14 PM
flybaby_3
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

After two recent trips out of town I can now say my fuel mileage has increased after the y-pipe mod. Both trips I saw an increase of 2mpg to just over 16 mpg. At todays prices the y-pipe mod will pay for itself quickly. Next weekend we are towing the travel trailer (#8000) on a camping trip and will report on that then.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:16 PM
jswanitz
Freshman User
Pops,

When you say you tow a heavy 5th wheel with your V10, how heavy?
I am looking into a V10 supercrew 4x4, and the 5th wheel I have my eyes on will max out at about 17,500. Seems like that may be a bit too heavy, but not sure.
I also have my eye on another 5th that is about 15,500.
I REALLY don't want to go with a PSD as I will only be towing about 6-10 times a year, and nothing over 500-600 miles.

Old 10-08-2007, 02:17 PM
dkf
Hotshot
Originally Posted by ATXZJ
I am strongly considering buying one of the e-bay Ys. What has been your experience with 99s? Any noticeable differance?

I was also thinking of doing the FM70 muffler only at the same time. My biggest concern is low end torque, any loss would be unacceptable, no matter what the upper RPM gains are.

Thanks in advance,

Marcus
You wil not lose any low end torque with the Y-pipe or FM70 muffler.

After installing my Y-pipe I notice a very noticeable increase in low end torque. Of course I have an 04' which has a different Y-pipe set-up, but you will not lose any low end.

Old 10-08-2007, 03:14 PM
Fredvon4
Logistics Pro

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
I would like to think that the shifting response is simply because when welding on a vehicle you are SUPPOSED to un hook the battery..... wink wink

Every truck with the 99~04 necked down two to one "T" crossover pipe that I have seen get a REAL properly flow oriented "Y" two to one collector has gained power on the dyno

Flutter, noise, resonance are all functions of exhaust reversion at some load and rpm... plus the firing order and lack of decent valve overlap contributes some, also the long honking exhaust system can attenuate some sounds and amplify others...

Hell even a true dual system into an "H" or "X" will "flutter" some with 10 cylinders firing the way these do....

Bottom line is that getting rid of the horrid necked down "T" is a good thing. No mater what method you do it, it is bound to be better then the factory solution....

Old 10-08-2007, 04:10 PM
krewat
Site Administrator
Received 298 Likes on 157 Posts
I had "flutter" on my '74 highboy with dual exhaust and headers - and NO X/H pipe.

That's why I laughed out loud when I heard Monsta's sound clip of his flutter.

I'm going to be doing it soon, and if it flutters like Monsta's, well, that's a GOOD thing in my book ...

Old 10-08-2007, 09:30 PM
ATXZJ
Junior User
Originally Posted by dkf
You wil not lose any low end torque with the Y-pipe or FM70 muffler.

After installing my Y-pipe I notice a very noticeable increase in low end torque. Of course I have an 04' which has a different Y-pipe set-up, but you will not lose any low end.
Good to hear since I ordered the Y and the FM70 today

I'll post pics and sound clips during the install.

Thanks,
Marcus

Old 10-09-2007, 07:05 AM
dkf
Hotshot
"Good to hear since I ordered the Y and the FM70 today

I'll post pics and sound clips during the install."

Old 10-09-2007, 08:14 AM
bigskymt
Senior User
Cool.. I have a 1999 as well.. interested to get a couple more opinions on it.

Old 10-10-2007, 07:53 AM
Navistar
Freshman User
Agree with everyone here as in previous posts on this topic, running the ebay y-pipe,Fm-70 muffler,K&N Gen II, diablo programmer a must (93 octane program a must for the most fun). Makes the 2V V10 go from ho-hum to boy this things fast.

Old 04-26-2008, 01:22 PM
redhawk2002
New User
Where can i get my hands on one of these bad boy y-pipes please help!!

Quick Reply: Installed new Y-pipe. Impressed with results