Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks

Taurus Fan 95 4.9

Old 09-25-2007, 01:36 PM
radialarm
Senior User
radialarm is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thumbs down Taurus Fan 95 4.9

It will not fit! There is not enough room between the waterpump and the radiator. Maybe a duel fan setup from another vehical would work, but do a lot of measuring I am giving up the idea and will most likely go with an aftermarket kit designed for my truck. I got almost two weeks in it and today was the day I pulled the shroud and fan clutch and it was a no go, tried everything.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:03 PM
17fordguy
Posting Guru
17fordguy is starting off with a positive reputation.
i had a problem kinda like this except the secondary fan was hiting the ac compress. but it has been locked up since i got the truck i just took it out along with the condensor.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:19 PM
eco
Posting Guru
eco is starting off with a positive reputation.
Just look through summit racing for a flex-a-lite fan...

Old 09-25-2007, 04:20 PM
radialarm
Senior User
I would have to remove about 2" of something to make it fit. Since I need everything I guess that's out of the question.

Old 09-25-2007, 05:46 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
WHAT?! My 5.8L has TONS of room even after installing the fan. Sorry for misleading you radial, I've never heard of someone having issues

Old 09-25-2007, 09:01 PM
radialarm
Senior User
It's not your fault I goofed didn't check close enough. I've got those two extra cylinders in front. I may try to salvage most of my work and bring a tape measure with me to the pick and pull. I found a Flex o lite duel cheap, but I also found a Permacool that fits and bolts up in the same places your stock shroud does. I like that idea just haven't found one cheap enough yet. I do have a better alternator and a well rope for a alternator cable though. Thanks for all your help anyway Skan.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Skandocious is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Just make sure whatever you get is going to pull enough CFM to cool your engine. The average 1 fan setup of similar size to the Taurus fan does not pull NEARLY as much CFM, the Taurus fan is really a freak of nature. You've been warned

Old 09-25-2007, 09:18 PM
radialarm
Senior User
I checked a place that said 6cyls need at least 2000CFM, but I would like about 2500CFM and I wont hold it against you. I am a man I make my own decisions and own up to my mistakes

Old 09-25-2007, 09:48 PM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Keep in mind that the 300 is a pretty large six cylinder engine when comparing to engines in smaller cars, like Hondas or Toyotas. Did the site specify and actual engine size? "Six cylinder engines" covers a VERY broad range of engine sizes.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:12 PM
radialarm
Senior User
No, It gave a general estimate:
4cyl 1000
6cyl 2000
small V8 3000
large V8 4000
I'm going to check it out very well before I button up this project. It's just going to be a little more difficult with the limited space I have 3 5/8" in front of fan clutch stub and 4" everywhere else. I did see where the Flex o lite were not recommended for 4 core radiators. I've got supercooling and I am assuming that means 4 core. Like I stated earlier 2500CFM at least 3000 would be better.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:05 AM
fmr9
Elder User
fmr9 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I was really hoping you could make this work. Then I could see how to do it. I tried with a Mark 8 fan, and ran into the same lack of room. Guess I was lucky cause I started measuring as soon as I got the fan, and before I did any wiring.
I think quicklook has an electric fan on a 4.9, but I was unable to get any details or pictures from him. Maybe if you ask nice he will bless both of use with the how to make it fit info.
Good Luck Frank

PS. I think the radiator options are either singe row or two row radiators. Mine is a two row. Each tube is around an inch wide, so the two row radiator is a little over 2 inches in the middle.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:43 AM
cjg1999
Senior User
cjg1999 is starting off with a positive reputation.
can't you trim the shroud of the taurus fan? I have seen this done when trying to fit a mark 8 fan into a mustang.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:05 PM
SilverSport
Elder User
SilverSport is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have been wanting to do this .... have the 3G alt sitting on the shelf. I too have been unable to get pictures from those that have said they have done it. I have looked here and on FullSizeBronco.com. For me the Flex A Light dual fan is beyond the budget for upgrades to an 18 year old truck. I guess I should spring for the Tuarus fan and see if there is some way to turn it so it fits .... but I am sure you guys have done that also. As for CFM ... I think the 4.9 Litre compares at least to the Small V8 for cooling needs in the chart above and thing 3000CFM is the starting point, but you may not need that much with the A/C removed.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:04 AM
radialarm
Senior User
Don't waste your money on the Taures fan the dimension from the face of the blade to the back of the motor is 5", it will not fit anywhere.I think I've worked out this problem, using one 16" and two 12" fans. I got a sheet of 1/8" aluminum to use as a fan shroud, and I will be getting the fans next week. The idea is to put the 16" (LH) and one 12"(RH) as pullers and the other 12" in front of the 16" as a pusher. The 16" pulls 2500CFM thermostatically controlled @13.5A. The two 12"s combined will be 2450CFM @20A when A/C is on. I found another site that went into more detail about CFM Vs. CID. I am well above (double) the scale for my CID. Thought being the two 12" fans should almost eliminate the use of the 16" fan when using A/C. I used this fan arrangement for maximum cooling and use of available space. There will be about 1" clearance. I will be posting pictures to my tech gallery as soon as I get the fans and get them mounted.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:28 AM
Skandocious
Postmaster
Common sense tells me that even with the 12" pusher fan on the outside, you are only pulling a MAXIMUM of rated CFM for that inside 16" fan, any extra airflow from the 12" will be hindered by the 16" fan blades being in the way... Maybe I'm wrong here...

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Taurus Fan 95 4.9

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.