2007 - 2014 Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013 and 2014 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Pleased With Towing Capabilities

Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 PM
HOTSPOT
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Pleased With Towing Capabilities

Since I bought the Expe, I have only towed the boat from the beach place to the ramp, about 4 or 5 blocks.

I pulled it out on the highway at speed and was impressed.

Considering I came from a 2003 Super Duty, I thought she did very well. She got the load moving easily, and maintained speed well.

Towing a 23 foot center console, about 6k pounds at 60 mph, 11.8mpg with OD off. The SD got 14mpg.

With the price of diesel fuel around here and service cost, I am glad I switched back to gas.

Old 09-26-2007, 01:39 PM
kenttrudiw
Senior User
We have pulled our 5,000 lb boat in Colorado over the Rocky Mountains (I-70 & Wolf creek pass). The extra 2 gears help out a lot!

The 07 pulls way better than my 04 did over these same mountains.

Good towing to you!

Old 10-13-2007, 05:28 PM
72soa
New User
towing

I have a 2007 and it tows well. We have towed a 3-4000 lb pontoon boat to the Keys a few times and the truck did well. I towed my 72 scout 4x4 on a dual axle trailer and the Exp did real well with that. The thing I do not like is the truck will not tow with the cruise control without gear hunting.

Old 03-02-2008, 11:41 AM
SemperFiDevilDog
Senior User
Towing with 3.31 or 3.73 rear ?

Old 03-02-2008, 05:50 PM
72soa
New User
I bought the tow package and I think with the 2wd it has 3:31 gears

Old 03-02-2008, 06:23 PM
nfntruth79
New User
I am glad to hear only good things about towing. I pulled my 18 foot flatbed today, not much weight on it, but I will be pulling my car on it in a few weeks all the way from san diego to charleston, sc. The mountains are gonna be interesting, but the rest should be smooth sailing. Good thing I got the HD tow package.

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM
scottman70
Posting Guru
Glad to hear it tows good! Has anyone towed the max 9k behind the Expy EL yet? I am thinking about getting rid of the Excursion diesel for an Expy EL..... can you get 4.10 gears though? My trailer might be too heavy at 10k though, just looking for more feedback??

Old 03-02-2008, 09:47 PM
SemperFiDevilDog
Senior User
Scottman70,

The 2008 Expedtion EL

Only comes with the 3.73 axle

Max Tow

9,000lbs 4x2

8,750lbs 4x4

Old 03-02-2008, 11:13 PM
weekendwarriorfsw32
Master of Strokes

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by scottman70
Glad to hear it tows good! Has anyone towed the max 9k behind the Expy EL yet? I am thinking about getting rid of the Excursion diesel for an Expy EL..... can you get 4.10 gears though? My trailer might be too heavy at 10k though, just looking for more feedback??
If I were you I would keep the Diesel X its a great truck.

Old 03-04-2008, 08:52 PM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do you think your mpg's will improve if you turn the OD on? Is that on level road or hilly roads?

Originally Posted by HOTSPOT
Since I bought the Expe, I have only towed the boat from the beach place to the ramp, about 4 or 5 blocks.

Considering I came from a 2003 Super Duty, I thought she did very well. She got the load moving easily, and maintained speed well.

Towing a 23 foot center console, about 6k pounds at 60 mph, 11.8mpg with OD off. The SD got 14mpg.

With the price of diesel fuel around here and service cost, I am glad I switched back to gas.

Old 03-05-2008, 06:31 AM
chuck s
Elder User
I run OD with mine. Ya don't get 5th or 6th gears otherwise. 1800 rpm at 65 mph towing the trailer.

-- Chuck

Old 03-06-2008, 10:48 AM
07EXPYEL
Senior User
Originally Posted by rowekmr
Do you think your mpg's will improve if you turn the OD on? Is that on level road or hilly roads?
I'll be checking this out next week on a 800 mile tow. I've got an MSD Dashawk now and can monitor engine load, instant MPG, fuel flow, etc.. I've heard (no personal experience) that towing milage can sometimes be better with O/D off because the engine isn't lugging as hard. The test will be easy for me, I'll just compare instantatneous fuel usage with O/D on or off while keeping the speed constant in various conditions (slight uphill grade, level road, etc..)

Old 03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by HOTSPOT

Well I FINALLY got a chance to tow with my EL. Coming from a V-10 Excursion, I have to say that I'm impressed with how the EL did. Towing my soon-to-be-traded 30' travel trailer seemed to be a fairly easy chore for the Expy. Comparing apples to apples, I took it a few miles outside of town to a looong steep hill that I've pulled dozens of times with the Ex and the Super Duty PSD, and at full throttle it would hold 63mph. Both the Ex and the 6.0 PSD would hold about 65-66mph at full throttle on the same hill.

The 6 speed tranny seems well suited for towing and interestingly seemed to shift quite a bit more firmly than it does without a load.

The platform seems quite stable even considering a bit of squishyness which was likely because I didnt air up my tires.

Almost makes me sad to get rid of the TT because I think I would be very happy with the Expy as a tow vehicle. Not sad enough to want to keep the POS camper though!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 08:11 AM
rowekmr
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
How much does your trailer weigh? I thought the new Expedition would tow well by looking at its specs but on other threads its taking a beating by nay sayers. I am considering it myself but want to be sure of its capabilities.

Originally Posted by nebmike
Well I FINALLY got a chance to tow with my EL. Coming from a V-10 Excursion, I have to say that I'm impressed with how the EL did. Towing my soon-to-be-traded 30' travel trailer seemed to be a fairly easy chore for the Expy. Comparing apples to apples, I took it a few miles outside of town to a looong steep hill that I've pulled dozens of times with the Ex and the Super Duty PSD, and at full throttle it would hold 63mph. Both the Ex and the 6.0 PSD would hold about 65-66mph at full throttle on the same hill.

The 6 speed tranny seems well suited for towing and interestingly seemed to shift quite a bit more firmly than it does without a load.

The platform seems quite stable even considering a bit of squishyness which was likely because I didnt air up my tires.

Almost makes me sad to get rid of the TT because I think I would be very happy with the Expy as a tow vehicle. Not sad enough to want to keep the POS camper though!!!

Old 03-14-2008, 09:37 AM
nebmike
Senior User
Originally Posted by rowekmr
How much does your trailer weigh? I thought the new Expedition would tow well by looking at its specs but on other threads its taking a beating by nay sayers. I am considering it myself but want to be sure of its capabilities.
With all my gear, full tank of water, food, gas, generator, propane, etc., etc., my last scale ticket had it a hair over 7800lbs. The trip last night was minus the food and about 200lbs worth of dogs that are usually along for the ride.

The Expy actually held speed better on the smaller hills going down the highway than my Excursion did. It would only drop 1-2mph and then shift and speed right back up... the Ex would typically drop 3-4mph on those same hills but would only speed back up once you'd cleared the hill. The only thing I could honestly tell that the Ex had up on the EL was in an additional 2-3mph at full throttle on the very long, very steep hill I mentioned in my first post. And that seemed to be a tranny gearing issue -- the Expy was running about 3900-4000rpm at full throttle in 3rd gear, but apparently the speed was too fast for it to downshift one more gear out of 3rd. My Ex would be in 2nd gear, screaming at 65mph at full throttle up that same hill and I think thats the only reason it went a little faster than the Expy.

I think that the power-to-weight ratio and better aerodynamics of the much lighter Expy EL more than makes up for the 15hp and 40ft-lbs of torque that the 2-valve V-10 Excursion has up on it.

Dont get me wrong, the Ex is definitely a formidable tow vehicle -- but for those who have 'em and are thinking of moving into an EL, I dont think you'd be disappointed in the capabilities. Obviously I cant speak for the heavier trailers, but I've towed on the same roads/hills enough times to know how my Ex pulled and I'm very happy with the Expy by comparison.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Pleased With Towing Capabilities