6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Regen, Sooty Pipes, and some white smoke

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 03:13 PM
powerstroke29
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Regen, Sooty Pipes, and some white smoke

Hey All
I was driving my 08 Superduty Last Night and Notice another regen. On the same fuel up. I didn't let it finish since it was late. So i cut the truck off. When i left this morning it went into regen again and i notice while driving there was white smoke coming out. It only happen for a couple of minutes.I have notice that my tailpipes are sooty for some time now. I called the dealer and they said this was normal. My Truck Has 6300miles on it. Any Suggestions?

THanks

Old 09-23-2007, 03:44 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
You're dealer is full of CRAP! The whole purpose behind the dpf in the first place is to eliminate soot from the exhaust. You have a cracked particulate filter and it needs to be changed. Furthermore, the root cause of why it cracked needs to be found and corrected first, or it will happen again. Trust me, I have a lot more experience with these systems than any Ford dealer does at the moment.

White smoke for a short period after a regen starts IS normal however. It's raw, unburned fuel.

Old 09-23-2007, 04:52 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
You're dealer is full of CRAP! The whole purpose behind the dpf in the first place is to eliminate soot from the exhaust. You have a cracked particulate filter and it needs to be changed. Furthermore, the root cause of why it cracked needs to be found and corrected first, or it will happen again. Trust me, I have a lot more experience with these systems than any Ford dealer does at the moment.

White smoke for a short period after a regen starts IS normal however. It's raw, unburned fuel.
I agree that soot is not normal but this guy seems a little to sure about a cracked DPF, he may be right but I would take it to another dealer and get a second opinion.

Old 09-23-2007, 05:13 PM
powerstroke29
New User
Thanks for all the suggestions, I wll definitely take it to the dealer. Having a crack or faulty filter is not good. I was wondering will it damage anything to keep driving it?

thanks

Old 09-23-2007, 07:01 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Originally Posted by powerstroke29
Thanks for all the suggestions, I wll definitely take it to the dealer. Having a crack or faulty filter is not good. I was wondering will it damage anything to keep driving it?

thanks
Well no, not if your dealer told you it was normal. LOL

Old 09-23-2007, 07:03 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by powerstroke29

thanks
No, the damage has already been done. The only thing you could notice, depending on how bad the filter is cracked, is a slight increase in power due to less exhaust restriction.

Old 09-23-2007, 07:07 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Is your check engine light on or did you just notice that your exhaust pipe was sooty?

Old 09-23-2007, 07:50 PM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
If you take it to another dealer and you get the same response, please ask to see it in writing. If they can't produce a document, then you can take what they say with a grain of salt. If they insist it's normal, throw your ace on the table and ask what the heck the dpf is on your truck for in the first place if it not going to do what its supposed to. The filter is designed to be nearly 99.5% efficient. Any visible soot at the tailpipe is too much and indicates a problem in the system.

Old 09-23-2007, 09:37 PM
powerstroke29
New User
My check engine is not on. I just notice the pipes were sooty. will see tomorrow at the dealer. Thanks for all the info. I will keep you posted

Old 09-23-2007, 09:51 PM
jteller
Freshman User
I have 1,350 miles on my truck and have only had one regen that I know of - obviously on many tanks so far. Seems like there should be more, can anybody say if this is normal?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:17 AM
stroke this
Senior User
Originally Posted by jteller
I have 1,350 miles on my truck and have only had one regen that I know of - obviously on many tanks so far. Seems like there should be more, can anybody say if this is normal?
1. Depends on your driving style
2. Are you sure that you are just not noticing the regen?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:19 AM
rob_nc
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by jteller
If you routinely pull a loaded trailer with your truck, you're likely having a lot more passive regens than active. This is good since it is basically free in that it doesn't require additional fuel to be injected into the DOC and burned. Passive regens are "invisible" and you won't know it is happening. Passive is what you ultimately want and it is completely normal.

Old 09-24-2007, 10:17 AM
jteller
Freshman User
Originally Posted by rob_nc
If you routinely pull a loaded trailer with your truck, you're likely having a lot more passive regens than active. This is good since it is basically free in that it doesn't require additional fuel to be injected into the DOC and burned. Passive regens are "invisible" and you won't know it is happening. Passive is what you ultimately want and it is completely normal.
I am towing quite a bit, so that could be it. Thanks!

Old 09-24-2007, 11:18 AM
firehawk198
Elder User
towed over 2,000 miles this summer. have not felt it go into regen in 3,000 miles. Verses when it was new every tank. about 500 miles since my last tow. Should be due any day for a regen.

Old 09-25-2007, 04:47 PM
powerstroke29
New User
Hey All
I just got my truck back from the dealer. I have a damaged DPF. I can still drive the truck they say. They will have to order me a new one. Said take a few days to get. Keep you posted.

Quick Reply: Regen, Sooty Pipes, and some white smoke