1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

With my new F5...Do I need a Boost Annilahator now?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007, 08:37 AM
4EXTRDR
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
With my new F5...Do I need a Boost Annilahator now?

I just got the F5 and love it, will run on 80 Econo probably 95% of time and really don't race the truck. Is their now an issue w/ boost or is the stock cut-off point still good (25lbs i assume)? Also, would it be a good idea to get one of these wicked wheels? I'm learning guys, bear w/ me And on one more note, I am going to order a boost gauge, how high of a gauge do i need? on the Ole' cummins she could hit 40+ w/ mods...Is a 40Lb max gauge good for the 7.3's (Not planning on injectors)?

Old 09-22-2007, 09:47 AM
miller_feed
Hook it, I'll pull it.

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
you are not going to get the full use of the chip if you start defueling at 22 psi. I can get 30 psi boost with my chip. I would think it would be a good idea to do the overboost annihilator.

Have fun, I know you will hit it hard to find out what it can do. lol

Old 09-22-2007, 09:56 AM
HKusp
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts
I went with the 40 guage from Isspro.Room to grow but still accurate and moves up enough to catch my attention. I would get the annihilator. As miller says, when/if you stomp on it and the truck defuels, you won't get the full potential of the chip. Not to mention that annoying check engine light for 10 minutes....

Old 09-22-2007, 10:04 AM
Izzy351
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The CEL will come on at 22-23 psi, but the PCM won't defuel the engine until 25psi. However, 25psi is the most you really want to run the turbo up to anyway. After that it's very hard on it and is just super-heating the air. If you get that CEL, I think it stays on until you cycle the ignition. There is another issue that will trigger the CEL on our chipped trucks and that's the low HPOP pressure. That one I still get when I get on it, but it goes away on its own after 2-3 minutes.

My story is similar to most -- I was getting up around 28 with the stock wheel (only with the red wastegate line disconnected), but it was surging badly. I put the WW in because I like how the truck responded without the wastegate connected, but had to cure the surge. The WW will not produce the same amount of boost as the stock wheel, but that's okay because 25 is really all you want it doing anyway. Mine is now surge free, maxes out at 25, and sounds awesome!

What you do it totally up to you, though. There are benefits to doing what I did, but you may never see them. I say try what you have (definitely get the gauges though), and see how it goes. If you need the WW, you'll know it.

Joe