Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fuel Line Quick Disconnect leak

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 11:59 AM
Idaho Spud
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fuel Line Quick Disconnect leak

I've done some searches, but couldn't find an answer to my problem.

Just replaced my fuel pump in my 1990 F150 (5.0), and one of my quick disconnects on the fuel line where it coonects at the tank is leaking. Looks like I have some o-ring damage. The guy at the Autoparts store did not show any replacement seals for the disconnect fitting.

My question is this: Can you get "re-build" parts (o-ring seals) for the quick disconnects or do you have to buy a whole new fitting?

If you can buy the seals (the seals are an orange color, if that matters), where can I find them?

any help or advice is appreciatted...

Idaho Spud

Old 09-20-2007, 12:33 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would try ford dealer.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:46 PM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
I think you have to buy a new endpiece (the black plastic part where the clip goes into) and you will need a special tool to press it into the plastic fuel line. I am lucky to have a friend that works at a dealer and he loaned me theirs.

Old 09-20-2007, 02:57 PM
Idaho Spud
Freshman User
I talked to the parts guy at the local dealer and he said you can buy the disconnect already pressed into a piece of high pressure fuel line...($23.00)

You can also buy just the disconnect, but like JAS88 said, I would need a tool to get it in the line..... ($5.00)

I need to see if I can find a tool to borrow......what does the tool look like and how does it press the fitting into the hose?

Old 09-20-2007, 03:29 PM
sowder
Senior User
NAPA has o-ring- retainer repair kits if you have one around

Old 09-20-2007, 03:55 PM
Idaho Spud
Freshman User
Thanx Sowdr, I'll go check it out.....

Old 09-21-2007, 08:41 AM
jas88
Lead Driver

Received 355 Likes on 285 Posts
It kinda looks like a caulk gun with a pistol grip. It has two rods that extend out and a clamp that holds the fuel line. Then you load the endpiece into the "chamber" and when you press on the "trigger" it presses the endpiece into the line.

Old 09-21-2007, 11:50 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i would just get it pressed in already and be done with it.

Old 09-21-2007, 10:38 PM
Idaho Spud
Freshman User
Thanx everyone.....

I'm gunna try heating the fuel line (boiling water) and the press the fitting in, if that doesn't work, I'll take it to a local mechanic and have him press it in.....

Old 10-23-2020, 02:24 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
I dredged up this old thread as it most closely matches my current problem. The duck-bill connector that attaches the fuel delivery line to the fuel filter is leaking. Specifically, I believe it is one/both of the o-rings in the connector that have failed. I have a spare clipped off junkyard line with a connector that I tried to practice removing the o-rings on the bench. The outer o-ring came out after about 5 minutes of effort with dental tools. The inner one is still in there after about 20 minutes of effort! And again, this is with optimal lighting/access on the bench! It's just not going to happen lying backwards on the ground under the truck!!! From a practical standpoint, I'm saying these O-rings are not user serviceable.

I'm considering my options... Is there a later style connector I can replace these with that will seal the same as these stupid ancient duck-bill connectors? Even then, I'd probably need to cut and splice the line as I've never been able to remove and replace fittings with the factory nylon fuel line. Frustrating stuff to work with. Grrrr.....

Old 10-23-2020, 07:50 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
So apparently I took my own statement above ^^^ as a challenge. I got under the truck tonight and was able to remove the two O-rings from the leaking connector much easier than the clipped-off one I had in my misc junk bin. Conveniently enough, I had an assortment of Nitrile rubber O-rings and one bin had the correct size. I would have preferred Viton rubber seals, but Nitrile rubber is supposed to gasoline tolerant. Getting the two O-rings in place in the grooves of the connector was a challenge, but eventually I got it done. I put a little oil on the fuel filter leg before carefully feeding it in, got the clip in place, pushed it all back into place. Powered up the fuel pump using the fuel relay contacts - checked for leaks - none to be found. Started up the engine - took it for a ride around the neighborhood - all good.

So for now it's fixed, but I still would like to investigate the idea of using different connectors. My goal would be for everything to connect the same - i.e. same fuel filter. Is there something like that maybe from a later Ford? Maybe something like this, or does this require a different fitting on the hard-line or filter....

Old 10-23-2020, 08:29 PM
Tom Armstrong
8th Gear
Nylon fuel lines

I am fighting this same problem on a 96 D250.
Dorman makes a lot of those fittings. O'Reilly's has them on the wall. My tank pump outlet is 3/8"
​​​​​and adapts to 5/16" nylon line. The connector came with 3/8" line. They do have a union to connect the 5/16" line it simply plugs in, to tools, no heat

Old 10-24-2020, 12:56 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Originally Posted by Tom Armstrong
I am fighting this same problem on a 96 D250.
Dorman makes a lot of those fittings. O'Reilly's has them on the wall. My tank pump outlet is 3/8"
​​​​​and adapts to 5/16" nylon line. The connector came with 3/8" line. They do have a union to connect the 5/16" line it simply plugs in, to tools, no heat
Yes, Dorman makes a bunch of fittings and even a tool if you care to try inserting a factory-type fitting into the nylon line. BTW, the tool has very mixed reviews. And yes, the tank outlet is a 3/8" but immediately necks-down to 5/16". I presume they made it 3/8" just to make sure you don't cross up the delivery and return lines. Mine didn't fail at the tank - it's the one on the rear end of the fuel filter.

I'm surprised we don't hear more about this issue as these O-rings are old now and well beyond their rated service life (especially with all the 10% ethanol in fuel nowadays). They probably should all be proactively replaced at this point. It is ignitable fuel after all. So that's why I raised the issue of perhaps using a different, more modern fitting/connector that is easier to work with (such as what I pictured above). But I'm unsure if they attach to the same configuration hard lines that we have on our trucks. Anyone know?

Old 10-28-2020, 10:10 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
In researching the changes in connectors and pumps I came across this very thorough, multi-page write-up with lots of pictures on the changes year-by-year...

https://www.supermotors.net/registry/2742/12737

Among other things, it points out that the duck-bill / hairpin type connectors were only used through 1991. Starting in 1992 different connectors were used at both the in-tank fuel pump module and at the fuel filter. While it would be possible to convert to these type fittings, they present their own challenges. I see more people complaining about problems removing these than the earlier ones!

My current thinking is that skipping a generation to an even more modern connector type may be the answer. But still working on that and I will eventually report back.

Old 10-28-2020, 10:52 AM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Here's one of the solutions I'm investigating. SUR&R makes a universal quick connector for nylon fuel lines that is supposed to be easy to unfasten and have more readily serviceable O-rings. I think it may be similar to the later factory lines.

https://surrauto.com/fuel/

You can download their whole catalog here: https://surrauto.com/wp-content/uplo...atalog-Web.pdf

Quick Reply: Fuel Line Quick Disconnect leak