Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Continued brake problems after brake job...

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 AM
Dan [Sac]
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Continued brake problems after brake job...

This is turning into the devil-truck....

'90 F-350 dually, 3.5" brakes, RWD, RABS, 460.

Before - had fluid in RR drum, ABS/Brake light on solid. Fluid turned out to be diff. fluid, bad hub/axle seal.

Replaced seals on both sides, replaced shoes and hardware on both sides. All bearings were in great shape so they were re-used and reset with the proper # of clicks (8).

Cleaned diff cover, re-filled, checked everything else, and cleaned the ABS sensor.

On the test drive, brakes are super soft and I am not getting almost any solid brake feel. Did the auto-reset for the rear drums with 8 reverse/brake maneuvers. Towards the last few it felt finally like it grabbed solid....going in reverse only. When i put it back in drive the limp brakes return. So I re-did 10 reverse/brakes, same thing. After 6-7 it feels like it tightens up good, but when I go forward I have the soft pedal.

I thought I might have air in the lines - bled all 4 corners (no air at all), and re-test drove it, and now it's worse. It feels like I'm trying to slow the truck down with Honda Civic brakes...pumping the brakes doesn't do anything. And to top it all off, the ABS/Brake light came on again solid.

The truck doesn't pull left or right, it's just not stopping. When I got out, I felt all 4 corners and it's using all 4 brakes (warm to about the same degree).

Could the auto-adjust procedure not be working? Even if it isn't, why would the front brakes not stop the truck? I'll manually adjust them tomorrow in daylight. If the adjustment is not working, could that be the cause of the ABS light coming on?

Is there a procedure on how to bypass the RABS? I'm not sure where to put the hose that's supposed to bypass it. I can pull the dash light/fuse no problem.

Finally, can the adjustment screw be installed 'backwards'? I doublechecked the book (Haynes) and a few online photos, they have the threaded part of it going toward the front of the truck (on the right side). Basically with the 'stopper' tab, it should allow it to expand but not contract...it's a reach, but I'm starting to run out of ideas.

Last edited by Dan [Sac]; 09-18-2007 at 12:08 AM.
Old 09-18-2007, 05:49 AM
jroehl
Post Fiend
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
When I did the rears on my F250, I figured the auto-adjust would take care of them. It did not. That first day that I drove to work was scary to say the least. After I made it home that evening with some pretty hot front brakes, I tightened up the star adjusters on the rears until I had very slight dragging, then did the forward/reverse adjustment and they've been great since.

Jason

Old 09-18-2007, 05:55 AM
JLDickmon
Elder User
and make sure you have the short shoe towards the front of the truck

Old 09-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Dukernc
Senior User
Dan,
As long as you didn't happen to mistakenly get any grease on the shoes or drums you should be sure to tightened up the rear star adjusters until at least there's some slight drag when you spin the wheels freely. Take it for a ride and see how it is. Then go ahead and do the self adjusting forward/reverse braking adjustment and they should be ok. Good luck!

Old 09-18-2007, 11:41 AM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
you need to manually adjust them some when you put them on.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:14 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
Yep - whoever told you to use the auto-adjusters never did brakes before. You absolutely must manually adjust them before they will work right.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:16 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
just like when you do discs you need to pump the brakes to get the pads in contact with the rotors.

did not do this once and found out my adreneline pump worked just fine.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:20 PM
andym
Post Fiend
Received 27 Likes on 27 Posts
LOL... me too. I just did brakes on the car a couple weekends ago and spaced out on this step. Of course it's a 5 speed, so I didn't bother to use the brakes when I started it. I backed it out of the garage and of course the driveway runs downhill to the street. Of course when I hit the brakes they went right to the floor. And of course there was a car coming while I was rolling out to the street. Man, I never pumped brakes so hard in my life before then.

I got it stopped in time though.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:23 PM
quicklook2
Post Fiend
wasn't that a good check of how high your blood pressure can really go without blowing a vein out?

Old 09-18-2007, 01:13 PM
Lazy K
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree that you must adjust the new shoes up manually. Adjust untill the shoes are dragging when you turn the drums by hand. However I feel you still have some air in the system. Did you bleed the RABS valve unit on the left frame rail? If not bleed it and then bleed the rear brakes again.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:19 PM
Dan [Sac]
New User
Originally Posted by andym
LOL... me too. I just did brakes on the car a couple weekends ago and spaced out on this step. Of course it's a 5 speed, so I didn't bother to use the brakes when I started it. I backed it out of the garage and of course the driveway runs downhill to the street. Of course when I hit the brakes they went right to the floor. And of course there was a car coming while I was rolling out to the street. Man, I never pumped brakes so hard in my life before then.

I got it stopped in time though.

Haha, yeah, those are fun times. Lost the brakes a few times myself, twice in my shifter kart and once in a Probe GT on hot lapping day...definitely sphincter testers, to be sure.

On the truck, manually adjusted the brakes and it improved a ton. Now they brake like they did when I bought it. We'll see how she holds up over the next few days.

Thanks to all who provided help and comments :tup: - and this forum's helped me considerably as well.