Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2007, 11:17 PM
F2504x4
Lead Driver
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
just a heads up: Ammunition Control

CA: Ammunition Control
by Jennifer Freeman

How do you pass a gun registry law without attracting too much attention? Bury it in an ammunition bill. At least that's what the State of California is trying to do.

AB 362 would limit ammunition purchases to 50 rounds per month and would require the submission of a thumbprint and background check before the ammunition could be purchased. That is extraordinary, in and of itself. But there's more. The bill also states:

© (1) The Attorney General shall permanently keep and properly
file and maintain all information reported to the Department of
Justice pursuant to Sections 12071, 12072, 12078, 12082, and former
Section 12084 or any other law, as to handguns and maintain a
registry thereof.
(2) The registry shall consist of all of the following:
(A) The name, address, identification of, place of birth (state or
country), complete telephone number, occupation, sex, description,
and all legal names and aliases ever used by the owner or person
being loaned the particular handgun as listed on the information
provided to the department on the Dealers' Record of Sale, the Law
Enforcement Firearms Transfer (LEFT), as defined in former Section
12084, or reports made to the department pursuant to Section 12078 or
any other law.

(D) The manufacturer's name if stamped on the firearm, model name
or number if stamped on the firearm, and, if applicable, the serial
number, other number (if more than one serial number is stamped on
the firearm), caliber, type of firearm, if the firearm is new or
used, barrel length, and color of the firearm.

(emphasis added by Liberty Belles).

What is the purpose of all of this? One could argue that restricting access to ammunition could result in a decrease of gang violence. With over 100,000 gang members in Los Angeles County alone, California has a legitimate concern about gang activity.

Unfortunately, the majority of gang members are in the United States illegally or are the children of illegal aliens. Yet, benefits, jobs, and foreign language assistance is readily available in California. The State also has a major problem with jail and prison overcrowding. So convicted criminals are not serving their full sentences. Plus, there's no telling how many crimes are plea bargained to lesser charges resulting in lighter sentences. Why then isn't California deporting foreign-born criminals and building new jails?

California's crime problem has nothing to do with the availability of ammunition. In fact, ammunition is readily available all over the country. Crime rates vary due to a variety of factors, none of which have been linked to ammunition sales. It's as if California is reluctant to blame the criminal preferring instead to blame the criminal's instrument while simultaneously eroding the rights of the law abiding.

One could argue that this law isn't about reducing crime at all. It's about exerting control over the people of California. If the State can't take away your guns, it will take away your ability to use them. California relies on its abundance of criminal activity in order to justify its anti-gun, anti-ammo legislation.

AB362 passed the Appropriations Committee by a vote of 12-5 on June 7, 2007. This bill could pass quite easily unless there is an outpouring of opposition from the people of California. Contact your State Senator to express your opposition.

Old 06-18-2007, 06:33 PM
mongo75
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
You gotta be *****tin me! Go figure- Cal-i-forn-i-GAY trying to take away my rights....If this happens, I hope they don't limit primer purchase, 'cause I got a whole lotta brass!!

Old 06-18-2007, 06:37 PM
ford390gashog
Fleet Owner

Received 519 Likes on 398 Posts
All that bill will do is drive the underground arms and muntions market. With or without that stupid bill the gangs will be able to get their items.

Old 06-18-2007, 07:31 PM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^^^^^ Thats what I said when I saw this over in the Nor-Cal chapter.
-Chris

Old 06-20-2007, 05:43 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yet another Kalifornia Bill aimed at punishing the average firearm owner.

Why would thieves/gang bangers care about limits on anything? What happens when I buy a 500 round brick of .22 long rifle ammo or a couple cases of 12 gauge Turkey loads? Ammunition limits are ridiculous and only punish those following the law.

Flagstaff looks better every single day.

Old 06-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Placermike
Postmaster
Think About It!

-A criminal is a criminal because they have no regard for the law.
-The law wants people unarmed, because that makes it easier for them.
-The honest citizen tries to obey the law.

With the above in mind, consider the following scenario:

-The Law abiding citizen will become unarmed.
-The criminal will continue to have weapons

I can only say that you can choose to protect and hunt with brooms, or vote and make your opinions known, by brining in new people to govern.

Caliornia is over priced and over governed...and that is why I live in Washington State!...Born and raised in Placer County!

Last edited by Placermike; 06-20-2007 at 10:37 PM.
Old 06-21-2007, 01:43 AM
73f350sc
Posting Guru
Flagg is nice but the altitude is killer on the truck haha. I agree that we are wayy to over governed...but....we only have oursleves to blame as we are content to hop on the nearest band wagon as a state and not read the fine print. If we didnt make it so easy for them...it would be a whole nother story.
-Chris

Old 06-21-2007, 05:25 PM
yield2s
Elder User
It's time to load up (no punn intended). buy 1 gun a month, it's the law.

Old 07-10-2007, 03:01 PM
Kep4
Jäger
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation Updated today

In a major victory for California’s gun owners, the Senate Public Safety Committee gutted Assembly Bill 362 on Tuesday, July 10. The bill will now be re-worked to require the California Department of Justice to only study the regulation of ammunition sales.

AB362, sponsored by Assembly Member Kevin de Leon (D-45), would have required identification to be presented for all mail order and face-to-face ammunition sales. Sellers of ammunition would have been forced to keep detailed and accurate sales records. No retail seller of ammunition would have been able to sell, offer for sale, or display for sale any ammunition in a manner that allows ammunition to be accessible to a purchaser without the assistance of the retailer or authorized employee. The Federal law requiring ammunition purchasers to present I.D. was repealed by the Firearms Owners Protection Act of 1986, because it was found to be ineffective in reducing crime.

Old 09-19-2007, 06:18 PM
daleper
Freshman User
So I wouldd have to save ammo for half a year or better to go shooting for one day? I'm glad someone up there has some clue and gutted it. The rest just want unarmed subjects.