1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

tow package wiring

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2007, 10:46 PM
michigan newbie
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
tow package wiring

Just bought a 98 Eddie Bauer, (143,000 miles, 5.4L, tow package) a week ago and have been plowing through the forum pages ever since. So far have fixed two broken power windows, the rear wiper, rear seat vents and a door lock. Next is shocks. I know everyone likes Bilsteins, but can you tell me what stock replacements are? Great forum with great advice! Thanks!!

Today the wife took it to an RV dealer to have a brake controller installed. All went well with the prewired plug under the dash for the controller. Problem arose though when he couldn't find the line to charge the trailer battery. He said he couldn't find the "battery charge relay". Says he needs a 12V line running to the plug in order to charge the trailer battery. I assumed that this was already part of the 7 pin plug at the rear bumper. Not sure (I haven't spoken to him directly yet) if there is a wire missing (6 out of 7) or if there needs to be an additional wire run to the plug. Either way does anybody know where this line should originate? Which fuse? Or is it already there but hiding someplace that he can't find. He has a number of years doing this- not some young kid on his first try. Any help would be appreciated.

Old 10-06-2007, 04:50 PM
puppypower
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If I remember correctly, there is a relay you need to install in order to get the voltage to the plug end. I know it's in the power dist box in the engine bay just can't remember what relay number. Mine was pretty easy to find. It was the only "empty" relay space.