Originally Posted by Brandonwillis90
So i wound up with a rusty ***
Sounds like you need some of this:

Old 09-05-2008, 07:00 PM
sbugalla
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Kinda fell into it (them)

In a nutshell...A good friend of mine was given a 64 f100 shortbed styleside...for free. It had a real good amount of "patina", but he was ready to make a ratrod out of it. A little while later he bought a crazy 76 Bronco, and had no need/want for the pickup. He gave it to me. I was planning on restoring it. The rust ended up being pervasive, but I was willing to take on the project. probably way in over my head. A couple of months later we found a 66 f-100 in much better condition. Minimal rust, better interior, etc. So I decided to part out the 64 in order to help pay for the 66. IT WILL BE HERE NEXT WEEK...I CANNOT WAIT. LOSING SLEEP. CAN'T THINK ABOUT ANYTHING ELSE!!! I AM ALREADY WELL ADDICTED. HOPE MY WIFE CONTINUES TO BE PATIENT. The best part is that the 66 comes with a second engine (300 EFI), aluminum rims and a full front disc brake setup. I'm not going to use any of them. Hopefully the proceeds from the sale of them will fund my trip to Carlyle in October.

Old 09-05-2008, 07:29 PM
Brandonwillis90
Junior User
Originally Posted by masterqi
Sounds like you need some of this:

hahah, clever

Old 09-05-2008, 08:23 PM
jacks61ford
Senior User
well i have a 61 unibody f100 custom cab longbed my grandfather waited till they came out and bought her brand new in oct 1960 (still have receipt)he died in 1993 truck still looking good as ever my father had it till 2007 when i took it over its all original with the 223 6 and three speed all date code correct and im just gonna give her a repaint and drive her forever and pass her on to my son

Old 09-06-2008, 05:49 PM
slo5.0
Junior User
I coaxed my buddy with too many projects to sell me his 62 uni. Truck was formerly a drag only ride, but she will be back to street duty. Specs: Edelbrock headed tunnel ram dual quad 460. Power goes thru a C6 auto to a 9 inch rear. Rear frame is modified (narrowed and cross braced) to make room for some large meats. My goal is to keep the drag attitude inside but "old man" up on the outside.

Old 09-06-2008, 07:30 PM
FL299
Senior User
I bought my 1964 F-350 from my brother's FIL in the mid 70's for $750.00. It has the 223 with 4 speed and isn't a speed demon but a great truck. Started out as a farm truck then a welding truck then a daily driver before my brother's FIL bought it for a personal vehicle that he hardly used. It has a stake body with a hoist and unfortunately the cab got crushed in the 1998 ice storm. I haven't had much time to work on it but I am still hoping to find another cab and get it back in shape. It made me smile every time I drove it !

Old 09-06-2008, 11:55 PM
desertwest
Senior User
I have a grandpa truck too... sorta... My grand-dad (dad's dad) bought his 64 short-bed flare-side in 65. 2 years later (months after I was born) he died and dad took over the payments. He drove it daily til I was 14 (lot of memories- I learned to drive in her). He bought a chebby and gave the ford to me to fix up. When I was 15, I accidentally set it on fire. He didn't say too much but I knew he was hurt. I swore I'd get another one some day and now I have two. (one was supposed to be a doner but it may see the road again after all). Of course it's not really grand-dad's ol truck but it sure feels good. My dad is proud too!

Old 09-07-2008, 12:45 AM
masterqi
Senior User
Originally Posted by desertwest
When I was 15, I accidentally set it on fire.
I guess I'm curious to hear that story

Old 09-07-2008, 06:48 PM
ras4434
Senior User
OK, here is the scene: Wife pregnant and on bed rest, husband running around trying to get things taken care of before the blessed event. "Happens" to go by a lot that has the "perfect" truck that he has been lookinf for for years. !966 F100 purchased the end of September and my son born on October 8th. I paid $1800.00 for that truck in 1982 and it was the same amount as what it cost new. Unfortunately the trucks second owner lived at the coast and the cancer hit hard a while ago and just got too far ahead of me before I learned about this great site. I got a 65 from Craigslist a year ago and the 66 has unselfishly donated her useful parts (only had 690,000 oringinal miles on the I-6). If I coule ever figure out how to resize my pictures I will put the 65 in my gallery.

Old 09-08-2008, 06:44 PM
desertwest
Senior User
Originally Posted by masterqi
I guess I'm curious to hear that story
The story of my truck burning?
Well, I've told it on here before and... by request... posted a pic in my gallery (it's under "the early years"), but the short version is... I had to drive myself to summer Driver's Ed classes everyday (how ironic) in my old 64 I was working on. I was supposed to mow the yard that afternoon and needed some gas so I stopped at the station on the way home. Let's just say that 5 gallon gas cans don't sit well in truck beds with half their wooden floors rotted out. Of course, it turned over and poured right on the muffler. (That was before BUNGEE CORDS) I turned into the driveway... looked in the rear-view and saw the wall of flames. She was a total loss in more ways than one. (wipes tear from keyboard) I am writing this song right now about reflecting on life called "I'd like to have that one back". The first verse is all about that truck... although I don't specify the fire. I guess what I'm saying is that it still hurts a little. But the good new is that I have another one (or 2) now and dad is still around to help me work on them from time to time!
Sorry... did I just highjack this thread?

Old 09-09-2008, 04:25 PM
cowturd817
New User
My uncle bought a 1965 f-100 a few years back with high hopes of restoring it for his weekend vehicle, he got the old straight 6 to fire once before he got diagnosed with pancriatic cancer. After he passed my aunt and i were talking at the funeral home where she asked me if i wanted it. Needless to say i drove out to west texas from my south of dfw home and made a weekend trip in picking it up. this is my first ford i have ever owned, its not running, but just sitting in the drivers seat rolling it off the trailer i was in love.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:34 PM
blloyd
Tuned
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It amazing how many people have "grandpa" trucks, which is what I have.

I have my grandpas 1962 red/white short bed unibody which he bought brand new in 62 right here in Tulsa.
Sat in my uncles carport for twenty plus years and now at my place !

Here about all these great trucks but see no pictures, lets get all the galleries filled with pictures of out trucks !!

Old 09-12-2008, 02:55 PM
Mazlem
Cross-Country
I've since sold it, but... I'm in NY and saw a '66 shortbox on Ebay in Indiana. It didn't get any bids or didn't meet reserve; something like that. I called an made an offer despite crappy pics and not having seen it. Dad and I drove 11hrs to get there an then tooled around for a little bit do to slightly unclear directions and the owner not answering his cellphone. After we managed to find the place it was another hour and a half of talking, cleaning out an loading up the truck. He'd taken the oil pan off to do the rear main seal so a couple of his buddies helped push it onto the trailer.

After swapping $ for the registration we headed home. By then it was 7:30pm an we figured just see how far we get before pulling off for the night, only we never stopped.. Got back home at 7:30am. After parking it in the driveway I started making a list of stuff it needed. In the fall it was moved to the garage an a couple years later it finally got put on the road.

Here it is on the trailer in Indiana:

Old 09-12-2008, 11:05 PM
napass2004
Tuned
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
my 64 was a fire truck at woodcrest station 8 in woodcrest california in which my grandfather was the captain. The truck was retired in 78 and sold to my dad for 800 bucks in mint condition, Through my parents divorce it was sold to a guy wanting it as a work truck. He never did anything to it and it just rotted away in a field for 11 years. When i turned 14 I found the truck and bought it for 300 bucks. 8 years later here I am still workin on gettin it done right

Old 09-17-2008, 07:57 AM
big64f100swb
New User
64 F100 Swb

Heres my story: Recently, I was looking on my local craigslist and found an add for a 1964 ford f100 for $650. In the ad the guy said he drives every day and runs like a champ with no problems. The truck looked pretty good, a off-white color (Original color is baby blue). Guy said its a 292 V8(original motor) granny low 4spd in the add (found out later originally a 292 v8 3 on the tree.) My dad called about it and said the guy still had it and that the brakes were a little spongy. We went downtown here where i live and found the truck. We took a look at it. It is a odd little truck, has factory
bedside toolbox (weird on a shortbed), factory helper springs, factory 16" wheels and factory ball hitch to tow a fifth wheel. Has the usual rust for a 64. Still has the original seat cover (very good shape) and sun visors. We then took it for a test drive. Its geared low in first, second is good, and 3rd and 4th the truck rattle, thought it was the rearend at first, but it was actually the universal. Went home and thought about it and bought it the next day. The rest is history.

Quick Reply: How'd you get your truck?