Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

What kind of clip on the blow-off?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 02:33 PM
Seabiscuit
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What kind of clip on the blow-off?

Hey all. I just got a '99 F550 thats been a little hammer and was the victim of zero effort maintenance for its life it seems. One of the many things needing to be taken care of is the arm that controlls the turbo's blow-off is disconnected. I believe it's the blow-off valve anyway, thats what I'm told. I dont know anything much about diesels. But its a rod that goes over to a little arm in back/top of the turbo. The rod end has a hole in it that slides onto the arm, which is mounted to the turbo assembly and I'm assuming is the direct control for any blow-off. There's a small channel around the circumference of this arm near its tip, obviously for a clip to hold the rod inplace. However, which kind of clip do I need? I bought a case of e-clips, but from my array of sizes, I couldnt seem to get one on (though those are always a pain, and its in a hard to reach place, but I'm pretty sure it wasnt gunna fit).. Its it one of those keeper clips or whatever you call'm? the ones that are a complete circle but with a break at one point and a hole in each end of the break where you can use the pliers to open them a bit? any ideas on the clip type I need?

Thanks!

Old 08-30-2007, 02:40 PM
Pocket
Post Fiend
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
What you are referring to is the wastegate actuator rod. It connects to the wastegate on the turbine side of the turbo. The wastegate helps bleed off exhaust backpressure in high boost situations.

Since yours is disconnected right now, basically you have an effective exhaust leak. Really hurts power down low.

You can pick up a better clip that's easier to get on and off. Head to Napa and get the circular linkage clips PN# 7352640