1980 - 1986 Bullnose F100, F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Early Eighties Bullnose Ford Truck

1986 F250 Speedometer/Tach

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2007, 08:48 AM
Special_edward
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1986 F250 Speedometer/Tach

I've got a 1986 F250 4.9L 6, 4 Speed w/Granny gear. I just swapped motors in it and would like to replace the gauge cluster so that I can have a Tach. I've been searching junk yards (car-part.com) and it seems as though the only clusters that have Tachs (from 81-86) also have the trip speedometer. Can I install one of them and swap out the speedometer for mine (w/no trip)?

or, do the clusters come with the regular speedo and a Tach?

Thanx,
Steve

Old 08-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Franklin2
Received 1,680 Likes on 1,357 Posts
Swapping the speedo should be easy. But it will throw your mileage number off.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:42 PM
Holmesuser01
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I assume that your current cluster has gauges, and that you are replacing the cluster with another one with gauges?

You can remove the speedometer part of your original cluster and install it in the new cluster that you are going to buy. I am also assuming that you are making this change so you can keep the right odometer mileage?

When you swap out the speedo, the original clear lens from your current cluster should fit perfectly on the replacement cluster. I've done just what you are doing to yours. Just be really careful when you open up the speedo, and dont just unscrew just anything. Should be a fairly easy job.

Old 08-30-2007, 01:56 PM
Special_edward
New User
Thanx Holmesuser01,

I do have all the gauges currently, but I have the "vacant" gauge above the column. I just wasn't sure if I could put my speedo into that cluster. I'd hate to use another one with different mileage, as it would jeopardize my inspection "exempt" status (as I go less than 5k a year, well at least I used to with the bearing throwing motor...).

I'll order one up off the junkyard!

Thanx!

Old 08-30-2007, 11:27 PM
f100beatertruck
Cargo Master

I swap them back and forth. They only take about 15 minutes or so (at least for a non-a/c truck). Helps with the 5k a year too

I've got two clusters with tachs and they both have trip meters. If memory serves correctly you can swap the speedo and the glass over. The trip glass has the hole for the reset.

David

Old 08-31-2007, 01:08 AM
Holmesuser01
Posting Guru
When you start putting the screws back into the plastic parts on the speedo, heres a hint:

Before you start tightening the screws, back them up slightly. You should gently feel the screw drop as the threads line up. This has saved me MANY stripped screw holes!

I have an '83, and I hardwired a factory tach into my non-tach speedo. It is working like a champ. (Thanks Lee L.)

Old 09-01-2007, 12:52 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Is the factory tach electric? Never really looked into it but passed on a gauge cluster with one just because I didn't know enough about it.

Right now I'm using an aftermarket mounted on the column but it would be nice to clean up the dash area a little. A trip odometer would be handy for calculating mileage and such although the 460 certainly isn't anything to brag about in that category!

Old 09-01-2007, 08:44 AM
Special_edward
New User
I'm pretty sure the Tach is electric. From some of the other posts, it seems as though the wiring is already in the harness that plugs to the gauge cluster. As soon as the new gauges arrive and I install them, I'll let you know how it works out. I bought it at a junkyard in Texas ($35 shipped).

Steve

Old 09-01-2007, 12:10 PM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
I'd appreciate that

Roger

Old 09-01-2007, 01:43 PM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
Tachometer cluster is electric and is "plug and play" if your original cluster has all gauges (no idiot lights). If you want to keep your original speedometer you can install the tach in your cluster and swap the printed wiring assy. If your original cluster has idiot lights you can install the tach and use external tach wiring. The tach will work correctly with both 6 and 8 cyls.

Old 09-07-2007, 09:08 AM
Special_edward
New User
Just to keep you posted, I received a cluster for a "Diesel". I'm working on getting the right one. The Diesel Tach only goes to 4500 rpm. I'd post a pic but can't figure out how.....

Steve

Old 09-07-2007, 11:42 AM
Piffery1
Posting Guru
I think the diesel tachs are rare; you shouldn't have a problem getting your money out of it.

Old 10-09-2007, 09:48 AM
Special_edward
New User
The job is complete. Wasn't very hard. I swapped my speedo into the "new" cluster and put my old cover (clear plastic) on. The electrical connector that plugs into the back can move those cheap "circuit" pieces around if you don't plug it straight in.

Wrong (diesel) junkyard cluster:

Before (my old one, sorry batteries went low in camera):

After:

Thanx for everbodies help!

Steve

Old 10-09-2007, 09:50 AM
Special_edward
New User
The last pic is the complete cluster with Tach (while running). Check out the 99 F150 radio cut into dash!

Steve

Old 10-09-2007, 10:58 AM
ClydeSDale
Laughing Gas
Looks good Steve! I've got a Sun tach mounted now and had figured it would be good enough to leave it as is. Now you have me going the other direction again ...

Now that I have my body done and the driveline humming my next set of projects will be cleaning up the interior; saggy headliner, discolored door panels, added floor insulation, etc..

I've got a similar Ford AM-FM-CD unit from an Escape, the owner wanted a cassette player instead, but was having problems laying hands on the right plug for the back. How did you deal with that?

Quick Reply: 1986 F250 Speedometer/Tach