6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

ATT: All AFE Owners

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2007, 02:37 PM
Bigdawgkp
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Go SANDEMON08! I too, cannot believe someone to jeapordize a $50,000 plus vehicle
with a $250.00 modification. I just do not understand the rhyme nor the reason. In the regen mode my truck does not blow any smoke black or white.

Old 09-08-2007, 03:11 PM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by George C
Better check your stats.
Too Quiet???

OK, I never looked to my intake for "sound"
Turbo whistle comes with changing the intake pal....

Old 09-08-2007, 04:14 PM
kimminau2
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RGO
I have an '08 350 that I installed a Magaflow Particulate Filter Back Exhaust on as well as an AFE Stage 2 Cold Air Box. My check engine light has been on most of the time since I installed the AFE unit. I have 18K miles on my 6.4 and have just about given up on the after market parts. Coming across the desert recently in 111 degree weather my truck de-fueled and I had to coast over to the side of the road and let it rest for awhile before starting up again. What good is a truck that can't run properly in hot weather? I bought it to haul a fifthwheel but I was not hauling anything when the EGT's caused it to shut down.
I am right on the verge of putting it back to stock and selling it.
The AFE rep told me on the phone that he would consult with his engineer and get back to me with a fix. I hope it's not a new tube that doesn't work any better than the on that's on the truck now.
I have towed 20k all over AZ this summer in temps above 120 on the hwy. Not a single problem with mine. You should get it checked out or maybe try methanol injection.

Old 09-08-2007, 04:19 PM
rollerstud98
Postmaster

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by 6.9OriginalDiesel
The 7.3 was one of the best motors ford ever used. Those motors could run for ever. The 6.0 came no where near to matching it. The 6.4 has potential.
While I don't disagree with the first part of this statement at all, the 7.3 was not completely problem free at the beginning of its production run either was it? It also had twice as long to work its kinks out, give the 6.0 another 5 years in production and I bet a lot of people would be forgetting how great 7.3's were after the first few years of being out

Old 09-08-2007, 06:11 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

I agree, alot of the R&D for the 6.4 was based off the 6.0, so basically there getting the extra years you are talking about.

Last edited by IB Tim; 09-15-2007 at 09:51 AM.
Old 09-08-2007, 09:55 PM
George C
Cargo Master
Received 504 Likes on 294 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
Turbo whistle comes with changing the intake pal....
Right....

Old 09-14-2007, 10:03 PM
stroke this
Senior User
Bottom line, with emmisssion control, stock diesels are choked down.
Itakes and exhaust are the first steps to giving it full potential.

DO I GET A AMEN FROM ONYONE?

Originally Posted by George C
The stock Donaldson has proven to be an excellent flowing, high filtration intake. Why would you guys want to "upgrade" with a downgrade?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:15 PM
stroke this
Senior User
If you are blowing white smoke all down the road like you say, that doesn't sound like a normal regen to me, or at least my truck doesn't do that.
I'm no expert but I'v been around diesels enough that I don't think that an air filter will cause that either and I don't beleive that the 6.4 is that much different off on animal to not be able to apply basic diesel principles.

Originally Posted by Copperkingf250
Even if white smoke is normal, it is very annoying and embarrassing. The people next to me and behind don't know what to think when my truck is flooding the highway with white smoke. I would have thought that there would be an easier way to burn off the soot. I cant wait to take off the DPF.

Old 09-15-2007, 02:29 AM
10000LBS
Junior User
After reading alot of threads on the AFE intake I thought well I might as well give it a shot to. Well after a few hundred miles, my CEL came on and the truck ran like crap. I like the safety feature of not being able to go any where or reving the engine, until you turn it off. But I to took out my AFE intake and within a few miles only, the CEL went out. Now I seem to be facing a new problem. Once I drive it for a small while, and I park it and release the brake, it seems to want to rev to about 1100 RPM. It seems to want to kick into high idle or it is stuck in reg mode. any ideas fellas. I am all ears. Other then that it runs great. just chews up exessive amount of gas right now. That is the only part that i do not like.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:21 AM
PSD6litre40
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by 10000LBS
After reading alot of threads on the AFE intake I thought well I might as well give it a shot to. Well after a few hundred miles, my CEL came on and the truck ran like crap. I like the safety feature of not being able to go any where or reving the engine, until you turn it off. But I to took out my AFE intake and within a few miles only, the CEL went out. Now I seem to be facing a new problem. Once I drive it for a small while, and I park it and release the brake, it seems to want to rev to about 1100 RPM. It seems to want to kick into high idle or it is stuck in reg mode. any ideas fellas. I am all ears. Other then that it runs great. just chews up exessive amount of gas right now. That is the only part that i do not like.
It is actively regenerating.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:11 AM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Originally Posted by PSD6litre40
Donaldson does not flow as well, plus its too damn quiet!
I've run the stocker on my 6.0 and an airaid on my 6.0 with a 65mm A/M turbo and have never moved the filter minder in 75K miles with the stock Donaldson. All the airaid did was give me MAF/MAP codes plus the Donaldson protects MUCH better. The only place the airaid/K&N filters show any TQ/HP gains is around 3.8K rpms. Most of these trucks won't even run that fast so what's the point? I venture to say that my turbo has plenty of whistle with or w/o the airaid--I actually can't tell any difference. Save your money on useless A/M airfilters and buy something you can actually get some benefit from.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:59 PM
SANDDEMON08
Posting Guru

Originally Posted by npccpartsman
I've run the stocker on my 6.0 and an airaid on my 6.0 with a 65mm A/M turbo and have never moved the filter minder in 75K miles with the stock Donaldson. All the airaid did was give me MAF/MAP codes plus the Donaldson protects MUCH better. The only place the airaid/K&N filters show any TQ/HP gains is around 3.8K rpms. Most of these trucks won't even run that fast so what's the point? I venture to say that my turbo has plenty of whistle with or w/o the airaid--I actually can't tell any difference. Save your money on useless A/M airfilters and buy something you can actually get some benefit from.
Yep,hell if you look at the dyno sheet from AFE for the 6.4 you are actual losing HP the higher in the RPM range you go. The gains are early and fall quick.

Old 09-16-2007, 08:43 PM
markt1993
Junior User
I love when people comment about things they don't know about. So tired of hearing about how Ford should have kept the 7.3. I had a 7.3 and never took it to a shop. It was a great motor. If you don't like these new motors, and the emmissions on them complain to the government. And by the way you think Ford is having trouble with the new 6.4 look on the Dodge forum at the new 6.7 they have. It's burning up turbos at 2,000 miles.

Old 09-18-2007, 09:31 PM
cHiLi 11
Senior User
If anyone is interested in a new ProGuard-7 filter from AFE for the 6.4L let me know. I am willing to let the complete system go for $200 shipped.

Nick

Old 09-21-2007, 10:21 AM
Cur Dog
Senior User
Smart man cHiLi 11 !!!!

Quick Reply: ATT: All AFE Owners