Explorer, Sport Trac, Mountaineer & Aviator 1991-1994, 1995-2001, 2002-2005, 2006-2010 Ford Explorer

4x4 control module (4x4 flash problem)

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2009, 04:39 PM
2118sayan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by snookeru2
The control module is not located on the passenger side behind the kick panel or the glove box on my 2001 Explorer XLT. Any other suggestions?
having similiar problems with2002 ford explorer, can you tell me where the control module is located?

Old 12-20-2009, 05:05 PM
2118sayan
New User
CAN YOU TELL ME EXACELTY WHERE THE CM IS LOCATED. I'M HAVING ALL THE SAME PROBLEMS

Old 12-20-2009, 05:15 PM
njredneck
Junior User
wow really these new fords fall apart like that

Old 12-20-2009, 07:05 PM
cued78
New User
my 2002 explorer the module is right behind the glove box it kinda blends in. any one else have problems with wheel bearings mine only last 4 yrs.
cm for explorer is 180$.

Old 12-21-2009, 11:17 AM
Javamama63
New User

Originally Posted by cued78
my 2002 explorer the module is right behind the glove box it kinda blends in. any one else have problems with wheel bearings mine only last 4 yrs.
cm for explorer is 180$.
I have an '03 XLT, 4.6L V8 and I had to replace both front wheel bearings (acutally the whole hub, because the bearings are pressed) at 62,000mi. I bought them for a great price a www.gearheadpartsstore.com. I am now having 4x4 issues. It never seems to end.

Old 12-21-2009, 06:51 PM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
cued78 is right, it's behind the glove box.

I'd scan the page from the manual but I trashed it when I sold my pos '02 Explorer. I'm a huge Ford fan but will never own another Explorer....

Old 12-27-2009, 09:14 AM
cued78
New User
explorer problems

I was just wondering is anyone else having problems when Im driving down the road it feels like im driving on ice. can anyone give suggestions on what might be wrong..

Old 12-27-2009, 11:20 AM
jschuman
New User
The 4x4 Control Module in my '02 Explorer also needs replacing. I know the part number to buy and plan on doing so very soon.

I'd like to replace the CM myself, and am trying to do a 'run-through' of the removal of the existing CM. I've identified it behind the glove box and can remove the front screw keeping it in place. However, 2 questions:
1) Any tips on getting to the rear screw? It seems totally blocked.
2) I am having a lot of trouble removing the 2 wiring harnesses from the CM. I've tried (gently) pressing the tab on the harness and pulling to remove, but it simply won't budge. What am I missing?

Many thanks.

Old 12-27-2009, 03:02 PM
danblackwood
New User
I replaced mine a year or so ago. I may have used an offset screwdriver to get to the second screw...it kind of seems like I did. You just have to wiggle the connector a bunch and it will come off.

Old 12-31-2009, 08:58 AM
jschuman
New User
Replaced the 4x4 cm last night. The easiest thing to do was to remove the black screw that held on the bracket. Once I removed that (there was only 1 easily accessible screw holding the bracket on) the module was easily removed from the bracket.

A question: Since the current school of thought is that an electrical surge - most likely from a battery replacement or detachment/reattachment - caused the old module to break, then should I unplug the new module whenever the battery is disconnected? Or are the new modules not supposed to succumb to the same problem?

Old 01-02-2010, 01:41 PM
02Explorer4x4
Freshman User
Originally Posted by jschuman
A question: Since the current school of thought is that an electrical surge - most likely from a battery replacement or detachment/reattachment - caused the old module to break, then should I unplug the new module whenever the battery is disconnected? Or are the new modules not supposed to succumb to the same problem?

This is the first I've heard of a surge causing the prob (just assumed crappy ford electronics was the culprit). Kind of makes since... anyone else have some info on this??

Old 01-04-2010, 01:04 PM
seasideford
New User
Exclamation 4x4 Control Module

I just replaced my 4x4 control module on my 2002 Ford Explorer. I did not think that it was the 4X4 module since the 4X4 LOW icon (on the instrument panel) ran through the normal bulb check. My understanding is that the 4X4 Control Module is responsible for executing the bulb check. I found out that the modules was bad by hooking up a DTC tool to communicate with the module and the module did not reply. After I replaced the module I noticed that there is an additional 4x4 HIGH icon on the instrument panel that turned on and off after key-on. The reason this bit of information is interesting is that if the module is bad, the 4X4 LOW icon still runs through the bulb check (even with the module missing...CRAZY) but there is no bulb check for the 4X4 HIGH icon. If you cycle the ignition and you do not see the 4X4 HIGH icon cycle through the bulb check you should suspect the 4X4 Control Module or the lamp behind the 4X4 HIGH icon. Just a note, you can get these modules cheap through your local junk yard. I bought mine for $50 (Ford charges over $300 for one) and it works perfectly. Just get the code off of the module and call you Junk Yard. The last 2 digits on the code is a sequence "number" (from what I understand) so you want to get at least the sequence # that you currently have or later. My sequence code was AG and I replaced it with and AH module and everything works great.

Old 01-04-2010, 01:07 PM
seasideford
New User
To get the 4x4CM bolt next to the firewall, use a really small wrench. It works but it takes some time since you can only get about 1/8 turn due to the available room. My wrench was no more than 3 inches long.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 PM
MLBajorek
New User
Appreciated all of the posted knowledge here, so I thought I'd join and add a bit.

Long story short: 4WD out, blinking light. Controller was replaced under warrantee years ago, so I figured it was the culprit again. $180 from directfordparts.com. Good service, easy replacement (take the glove box door off, it's easier that way) but still no 4WD. Bummer for me.

Went to take the transfer case shifter motor apart and noticed that ground wire was corroded off after dissasembly. Cleaned up, crimped on a new connector and I'm back spinning all 4 wheels. Just another place for folks to look. Best of luck to everyone.

By the way, send a note if you're interested in a control unit for an '02 Explorer...

Old 01-09-2010, 08:00 AM
Javamama63
New User

2003 Explorer XLT Auto 4WD

I just found the time (and enough snow) to replace the 4x4 CM. I got the part from Silver State Ford Parts (Formerly DIRECTFORDPARTS.COM)Genuine Ford Truck Parts Lincoln Mercury Parts OEM Ford Parts and Accessories for $165.00 (email them with the VIN and they will tell you which one you need. Their response was fast and they were wonderful) It was an easy change out (for my husband with me watching). The 4x4CM looks like a large black Ez-Pass up under the left side of the glove box. Disconnect the negative battery cable (make sure you unlock the doors first, LOL) Drop the glove box (squeeze in the sides and it comes down) and remove the one bolt, that you can see, on the bracket (i think it took a 9/32 socket), remove the screw that holds the CM to the bracket then remove the plugs (one was more difficult than the other). reverse the process to put it back together. It took my husband about 10 minutes in 9 degree weather. I drove it like crazy up my neighbors drive way and around their backyard and it worked fine. I have had no problem with the 4W Low.

One question: I noticed that when I hit some ice the 4W High light flashed and then went out. It still seemed to by in 4WD, though. When I turned the car off and then back on the 4x4 High light was on and the 4WD worked. I pushed the Auto button and the light went out. Pushed the 4W High button and the light came on and it worked. Is this just the function of the Auto 4WD?

Thanks

Quick Reply: 4x4 control module (4x4 flash problem)