2000 4.2 dual exaust will run bad?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2001, 10:04 PM
jonoufan
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Does anyone have duals on their 2000 4.2 v6 if so how does it run.I wanted to put duals on mine and was told it would run bad and cause the check engine light to come on anyone who can help me with this question i thank you very much.

Old 05-05-2001, 09:06 PM
sweet82
Senior User

my 3.8 sounds REAL good all i have to say is DUAL IT OUT the check engine light will come on when the o2 is not hoked up right
also remember to get catilatic converters that is my two cents
Rodney

1982 F100 3.8 v6 3on the tree

Old 05-09-2001, 01:02 AM
dallanmiller
New User

Hello- I am the owner of a 1999 F150 X-Cab, with the 4.2 liter V-6 engine. I had "duals" installed the first week I had the truck...I bought this truck brand new, and have had it now right at two years, and 16,000 miles later, (knock on wood), no problems caused by having this modified exhaust system installed. My exhaust system was installed at Midas Mufflers, and consists of one pipe from the converter that splits after a special muffler with two outlets, and has the looks and sound of duals. These are not true duals, and I was told that no one would legally install real duals, without an additional set of catalytic converters, and modifications to the exhaust system in more extensive detail. My truck does sound pretty good, not too loud, but loud enough, just enough to let you know you have a little power, and sounds cool with the windows down. This little 4.2 V-6 is no screamer by any means, but with this "dual" exhaust system, it seems to have a bit more power, and does indeed sound more powerful at that! F.Y.I. Take care- David Miller, Ft. Worth, Texas.

Old 05-13-2001, 09:11 PM
roc1325
New User

What muffler did you get from Midas? Where the dual pipes the kind that slant out at a 45 degree at the wheels? Is there any impact on your warrenty for the truck? And lastly about how much did it cost? Thanks!

Old 06-03-2001, 05:38 PM
bcwallace
Freshman User

I've got a 99 4.2L v6 and I had dual exaust put on at Mieneke about 4 months ago. It sounds good, but it's not really loud. That's a really good thing for me because the first time you take a 9 hour road trip with loud duals you'll hate them. I think my muffler was a vortex brand and I got the whole thing done for around 200 bucks (hint:go to their web site~ometimes they have a cupon for 20 bucks off a service thats over 100 dollars). A little bit of advise here...when you go to get tips, get decent ones. I got the cheapest ones that looked ok and they are already starting to rust just a little bit. Mieneke guarentees the muffler and pipes for life, but not the tips. Overall, I'd do this again to my truck in a heartbeat. I did notice a little more pickup, but just remember we are talking about a 4.2L v6. Don't get your hopes up too high for any major modification, but with gas prices like they are the boys with the V8's and v10's may have to park their trucks on Saturday nights and that's ok by me...

brad

Old 06-03-2001, 05:59 PM
BiGdAdDyRaNdY
New User

Hi!!
2000 F-150 here 4.2l v-6 had Midas install duals on it at about 15,000 miles have 22,000 now and no problems they cut pipe just in front of stock muffler and installed a dual exit turbo muffler and custom bent the tailpipes coming out to a 45degree angle with the large chromed tips sounded great but sounds even better now after i installed the airaid air filter system and the poweraid throttle body spacer.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!, can not beleive the difference in power and gas milage, i am getting 3-4 miles per gallon increase, NO LIE!, and made the exhuast sound so much better, get that engine breathing and exhaling good and it will be happy and so will you, LOL , good luck !!!!!!

Old 06-05-2001, 02:19 PM
roc1325
New User

Thanks for the update on the airaid filter system and poweraid throttle. I plan to do that next on my truck. Does the Airaid use a K&N Filter? I got my 1 in 2 out duals at Midas with a Raven muffler.

>Hi!!
> 2000 F-150 here
>4.2l v-6 had Midas install
>duals on it at about
>15,000 miles have 22,000 now
>and no problems they cut
>pipe just in front of
>stock muffler and installed a
>dual exit turbo muffler and
>custom bent the tailpipes coming
>out to a 45degree angle
>with the large chromed tips
>sounded great but sounds even
>better now after i installed
>the airaid air filter system
>and the poweraid throttle body
>spacer.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!!, can not beleive the
>difference in power and gas
>milage, i am getting 3-4
>miles per gallon increase, NO
>LIE!, and made the exhuast
>sound so much better, get
>that engine breathing and exhaling
>good and it will be
>happy and so will you,
>LOL , good luck !!!!!!
>

Old 06-05-2001, 02:24 PM
roc1325
New User

Did you install the airaid air filter system and the poweraid throttle body spacer yourself. If so, how long did it take and was it easy?

Old 06-15-2001, 10:41 PM
BiGdAdDyRaNdY
New User

sorry for the delay in responding, yes i did install it myself it was easy the throttle body spacer and the air kit took me a little over an hour, the only problem was that the screws for moving the throttle linkage were not exactly right but figured out an alternatative in just a few minutes, it is fairly simple

Old 04-19-2002, 01:39 AM
trackguy24
New User

[updated:LAST EDITED ON 19-Apr-02 AT 02:40 AM (EST)]Did the throttle body tower thingy actually do anything, i have read a few articals that said they do absolutly nothing, however, im hoping otherwise... any one have info on them?

Old 04-24-2002, 02:50 AM
Falcon11
New User

I have a Poweraid TB spacer on my 4.2, along with a Volant intake system. The TB spacer is a cheap and easy mod to install I'd recomend it, but just remember it WHISTLES, so if you don't like that don't get it. As for duals on a 4.2, I can tell all of you don't know crap about performance for this engine, especially when you have to have an auto shop install your exhaust for you. Putting duals on the 4.2L makes you lose back pressure, this causes you too lose torque. Sure you may have gained a little bit of hp but, if any of you were looking to get the most power with an exhaust system, and you actually knew anything about performance with the 4.2, you would have got a single swept side non restrictive exhaust system. In my opinion Gibson has the best exhaust system on the market for the 4.2. And if you think you do know performance for the 4.2L, call up Gibson or Flowmaster and ask them which exhaust system will add the most power on the 4.2L application- they will tell you the single side.

'99 auto. 4.2L F-150
-many mods
-almost feel sorry for the guys with 4.6L F-150's
who think they will blow me away, then end up getting smoked
by a V-6.

Old 04-24-2002, 12:47 PM
BrianA
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Falcon,
a question for you....you sound pretty confident about the "backpressure" issue. In all my college studies of thermodynamics and gas/fluid flow, along with my additional readings and studies of exhaust systems, I am still puzzled by the use of the somewhat ambiguous term "backpressure". It is my understanding that exhaust systems can improve performance, not by simply providing backpressure, but when properly TUNED, assist with exhaust gas scavenging as well as fresh charge remaining in the combustion chambers. This is accomplished by waves of high and low pressure traveling back "upstream" (and is especially important in two stroke applications). This phenomenon is what leads to the development of tuned headers for 4-stroke applications. I do not doubt that HP and torque curves can vary with different exhaust system arrangements. However, I do not think it is due just to backpressure. I seem to remember having read on more than one occasion about overly restrictive factory exhaust systems. To me, this means systems with too much backpressure.
I eliminated my factory muffler on my 4.2 and went with a y-pipe in place of the muffler and dual outlets straight out the back. (no muffler now, only (factory) dual cats on each exhaust bank) I noticed no difference in torque. A possible slight upward shift in RPM range of HP curve, but I can't even say for sure on that.
Exhaust gas flow and exhaust systems is an interesting subject. If you know where I can find specific information on the backpressure issue, please let me know. I would like to read more about it.
Thanks,
Brian A

Old 04-24-2002, 12:53 PM
BrianA
Postmaster

one thing I forgot to mention...you said the best system for the 4.2 was a "non-restrictive" system. This implies no(or at least very low) backpressure. This seems to contradict your implication about backpressure being necessary for torque and HP optimization.

Brian A

Old 04-25-2002, 01:43 AM
Falcon11
New User

Brian,
I don't know of anywhere you can learn more about back pressure, except from the people who deal with it when designing their products. Obviously the companies who make performance exhaust systems know a lot about it, so if its that important to you talk to them. I'll tell you what I know, but I'm not saying you have to agree with me. I did say you want a non restrictive exhaust system, but you have to remember that the word non restrictive means a whole lot when dealing with an exhaust system. It is true that the stock exhaust is very restrictive, and it causes the exhaust to flow uneven throughout the pipe untill it exits. As you know the exhaust pulses through the entire system because of the release from the firing of the cylinders. And the purpose of a non restrictive exhaust system is to make the flow of the exhaust go evenly and freely throughout the entire system. But making your exhaust flow out too freely makes the entire system lose the velocity at which the exhaust is traveling, thus the loss of back pressure. See the key is to have a even, free flowing system that will raise the velocity at which the exhaust travels through the system. Just to make a point to how important back pressure is, here is an example: If there is no need for back pressure to keep or create power in the 4.2L, everyone would just end their pipes right after the converter or their muffler. But you can ask any performance exhaust company, and they'll tell you that doing that will just kill the power in your truck.

'99 4.2L f-150
Gibson single swept side
and much more.

Old 04-25-2002, 06:18 AM
BrianA
Postmaster

Falcon:
We are about to stray off into the subject of exhaust in this (4.2) forum. So, i'll avoid carrying it further now. Thanks for the response. I'll do some more investigating.
B

Quick Reply: 2000 4.2 dual exaust will run bad?