ISSPRO Fuel pressure guage in cab

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 11:04 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Fuel pressure guage in cab

Here's my plan:

I want to install swamps single shot injectors this fall. But before doing this I am going to buy ITP's regulated return kit. The kit has the fuel pressure guage included & mounted under the hood.

http://www.itpdiesel.com/store.php?crn=152&rn=277&action=show_detail

But I would like a fuel pressure guage in the cab. Is the extra fuel guage in the cab overkill?

Anyhow, I plan on buying the ovehead guage pod from dieselmanor.com along with the ISSPRO fuel pressure guage & isolator kit.

http://www.dieselmanor.com/dm_products/DM-CGI2240.asp

Can anyone give me some heads up or forsee any problems with the diesel manor fuel pressure guage isolator kit in conjunction with ITP's regulated return? Or am I mixing apples & oranges again...

Am I making any sense

Thanks in advance - Rich

Last edited by white Buffalo; 08-24-2007 at 11:21 PM.
Old 08-24-2007, 11:37 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What kind of gauges do you have now? I am saving up for the DiPricol electronic fuel pressure gauge that ITP offers. With this, you do not need an under hood unit that you cannot see anyway. I already have my pod for this along with, who knew, that new HPO gauge, based on what Dennis told me when I was trying to order the older mechanical isolator gauge set.

Anyway Rich, that is the direction I am leaning towards. I have a cheaper gauge I can use to see my idle fuel pressure. I disconnected it. Not needed unless I think I have a problem, otherwise it is just a potential leak.

So no, neither gauge will interfere with the other. If you get a good in cab gauge, you do not need an underhood unit you cannot see anyway. Besides, your most important fuel pressure #s are while underway under a good load. That will tell you if the pump is headed south or some other fuel problem. Even a marginal pump can look good idling our trucks.

Hope that helped
Mike

Old 08-24-2007, 11:38 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Never mind the gauge ? I see you have ISSPROs.

Old 08-24-2007, 11:47 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Thanks Tenn,

I'll check into the diapercol guages, just thought I would get the ISSPRO since that is what I have already.

Old 08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by white Buffalo
Thanks Tenn,

I'll check into the diapercol guages, just thought I would get the ISSPRO since that is what I have already.
No problem with the ISSPRO, just don't really need one under the hood with one of those. Call Dennis about his thoughts on the electrical sender vs the mechanical isolator.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:15 PM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 98 Likes on 54 Posts
You will not regret getting an in cab electric fuel pressure gauge. I watch mine a lot and it can tell you if your pump or filter needs attention. The underhood mech gauge is good for setting pressure at idle, but since you have to put a load on it to see anything happen it is not too useful. The sending unit will screw right into the regulator from ITP.

Did you notice the new Fuel Bowl Delete kit on ITP's site as well? Mines on order.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:25 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I love my in cab fuel pressure gauge, lets me know of problems. Perhaps see if you can get the RR cheaper without the gauge, that way you could save money on it and put that towards the in cab gauge.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:27 PM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
When I installed my under hood gauge last week, I installed a tee off the fuel bowl housing so I can also (soon, hopefully) install an electronic sending unit on the plugged port on the tee and run it to an electronic gauge in the cab. They're not cheap, typically running around $200 for the sending unit and gauge.

I did, though, find a much less expensive option with a "black out" gauge that I thought really sounded cool. When the power is off, the gauge face is blacked out completely, but lights up bright once the key is turned on.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/store...63481_-1_10339

Does anyone know of any problems with these B&M gauges?

Old 08-26-2007, 07:43 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
You will not regret getting an in cab electric fuel pressure gauge. I watch mine a lot and it can tell you if your pump or filter needs attention. The underhood mech gauge is good for setting pressure at idle, but since you have to put a load on it to see anything happen it is not too useful. The sending unit will screw right into the regulator from ITP.

Did you notice the new Fuel Bowl Delete kit on ITP's site as well? Mines on order.

I have the in cab electric fuel pressure gauge as well. Very handy troubleshooting aid. I see that ITP also has the hpop gauge as well. Time to petition Congress (ie wife) for more money!

Old 08-26-2007, 07:52 PM
John311t
Postmaster
That my next gauge also is the HPO gauge. SHould be an interesting gauge to watch....

Old 08-26-2007, 08:15 PM
jetdoc
Cargo Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by John311t
That my next gauge also is the HPO gauge. SHould be an interesting gauge to watch....
I have autometer ultralites. I called Auto meter and they have no plan to come out with a hpop gauge. I'm going to put the gauge in to find out just how low my high pressure oil is after 300000 miles. My truck kinda falls flat above 2000 rpm.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:18 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Yeah, i know they are not going to make it, so im getting the Diprocal since it match close to the autometer SC2's.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:31 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
I got lucky, those gauges match mine.....perfectly. Unfortunately, I will then have all they make and be in a mix and match myself for anything else. That means oil press/temp, water temp and probably a host of others I do not need but will want when I see them.

Old 08-26-2007, 10:35 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel

I should probably do the fuel bowl delete while I'm in there doing the RR anyway. Boy, my bill has quickly ran up to $1,000. Ouch - especially since I want those injectors soon!

Old 08-26-2007, 10:37 PM
white Buffalo
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by F250_
When I installed my under hood gauge last week, I installed a tee off the fuel bowl housing so I can also (soon, hopefully) install an electronic sending unit on the plugged port on the tee and run it to an electronic gauge in the cab. They're not cheap, typically running around $200 for the sending unit and gauge.

I did, though, find a much less expensive option with a "black out" gauge that I thought really sounded cool. When the power is off, the gauge face is blacked out completely, but lights up bright once the key is turned on.

http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_10001_10002_763481_-1_10339

Does anyone know of any problems with these B&M gauges?
Pete, those gauges look pretty damn cool!

Quick Reply: ISSPRO Fuel pressure guage in cab