What type of paint to buy?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 08:54 PM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
What type of paint to buy?

I am about ready to commit to a paint system and I would like some input as to what to buy or even what not to buy. I plan to stick with one manufactures products during this project to avoid any issues. I want a quality paint job, but I do not whant to pay an "Arm and a Leg" to get one. I feel it is important to buy from a local dealer in case you need quick service, so I am considering PPG, Dupont, and Sherwin Williams. I am planning a BC/CC paint job on my truck and I would like any input you may have about these paint manufactures. Thanks.

Old 08-25-2007, 05:47 AM
ubereal2
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Smile

PPG fan here. Good products, primer, thinner, sealer,paint, reducer,activator, they should have everything you need.

Bob

Old 08-25-2007, 08:30 AM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by ubereal2
PPG fan here. Good products, primer, thinner, sealer,paint, reducer,activator, they should have everything you need.

Bob
I have only heard good things about PPG products. Which PPG paint system do you recommend for my project? I want a good quality paint job, but I am not trying to win the "Best Paint" category in a car show.

Anyone know how PPG, DuPont, and Sherwin-Williams compare as far as price?

Old 08-25-2007, 11:19 AM
56Jeff
Junior User
PPG has the Omni line, which is less expensive, and works fine. I'm learning to paint as I go. Unless you are building a 100 point project it should be fine with the Omni.

If your on a tight buget, I've herd that Matrix is good, But have no personal knowledge of it. ( X-ppg emploees started it? )
Just no dealers close to me. http://www.matrixsystem.com/

my 56cents worth

Old 08-25-2007, 11:28 AM
firstrider
Logistics Pro

Received 119 Likes on 57 Posts
Cujo8, you are on the right track sticking w/ the PPG products all the way & a base /clear.Used it on the FirstRide (mild custom '52)& it looks beautiful.If you do not have the correct equip & facility to spray don't attempt it.Denny

Old 08-26-2007, 09:33 PM
blue68f100
Posting Guru
PPG Deltron system for me. The have a clear coat that does not require a oven, has a 2hr tack time. After that period you don't have to worry about contamination. That all I use for the outside. I use the single coat system for inside. If you don't want to spend the big money for Deltron their single coat system can be clear coated. But the clear coat is were the big money is at.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:26 PM
MBDiagMan
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I am also a fan of the OMNI paints by PPG. I think that they are a good value. I was looking at some paint repair that I did on my daughters car about 8 years ago and it still looks very good in spite of the Texas heat. It was the acrylic basecoat, catalyst urethane clearcoat system.

Old 09-02-2007, 08:55 PM
blue68f100
Posting Guru
I would have to agree the Cat Urethane clearcoat system is a great product. It does not require a baking oven to cure it out like most clear coats. Skins in ~2 hrs and cures in 24hr, well sort of. It seamed to take 8 yrs before an my test sample got brittle, full hard. Reminds me if concrete, gets stronger with age. I used it on a jeep and it made it almost scratch resistant. Plan on using it on my PU.

Old 09-03-2007, 07:54 AM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Omni Line for me for less than high end jobs,its VERY comparable to big priced sytems...its no longer called Omni though,its called "Shopline",same paint from same manufacturer but just a different name.
Im in the south Georgia heat and all the vehicles ive used it on is still holding up like it just pulled out of the booth.
Always go with a PROVEN system,never go with a new system that claims how well they are,let other people be the"Guinea Pig"

Old 09-04-2007, 12:17 AM
gt350h
Senior User
We sell Omni and ShopLine. Omni hasn't been discontinued, Shopline is just a relabeled Omni. They brought Shopline out so Platinum certified PPG distributers could have something to sell if there was another distributer selling Omni in their area. If you're going Omni I'd use MP282 catalyzed urethane primer, MP 180 sealer (if you want a sealer), and Omni MBC Basecoat with MC260 or MC161 clear. A single stage like Omni MTK works great for interior and/or jambing to save some time and money. If you're going to go better than PPG's K36 primer with NCS sealer, DBC basecoat, and DC4000 clear would be my suggestion. If you live in California probably half of those numbers will be different though. You can mix the two systems if you want too. If you'd like to go a little better on the clear you can put the DC4000 over the Omni MBC basecoat. Anyways, I've had a lot of happy customers with PPG on show car stuff and DIY stuff. Let me know if you have any questions.

Old 09-04-2007, 05:21 PM
Action4478
Hotshot
Received 34 Likes on 31 Posts
My experience with Omni ,was ,,,,I was very tired of walking around the truck by the time I was done ,,,too many coats needed ,so also more paint needed ,& also ,more time for dirt to get in it ,,PPG deltron is what I use,usually 2-4 light coats to hide,,,

JMO....

Old 09-04-2007, 07:01 PM
FordCwazyGuy
Mountain Pass
Ive never had to do more than 3 coats at the most,usualy 2 coats with Omni MBC basecoat.
Only time i had to do 3 coats was because the gun was acting up on first 2.

I actulay love the Omni line for the price,recently did a little ranger for a freind ,used the Omni MBC VW regatta metallic blue basecoat and it came out beautiful.

That makes sense about Omni/shopline being the same,i just figured since my jobber is putting shopline labels on Omni products now that it was deleted and now Omni.

Old 09-06-2007, 02:49 PM
Nevaeh
New User
take a look at southern polyurethanes. best paint system period. the universal clear is awsome. PPG clear will run ten times easier than SP.

Old 09-06-2007, 04:04 PM
cujo8
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by Nevaeh
take a look at southern polyurethanes. best paint system period. the universal clear is awsome. PPG clear will run ten times easier than SP.
I have never heard of SP's, probably not available in the northeast I'm guessing.

Old 09-06-2007, 09:05 PM
Nevaeh
New User
Im not sure. I think their located in Canton Georgia. i get it from a local distributor. I would contact them, im sure theyd probably ship it if they could.

Quick Reply: What type of paint to buy?