Sponsored by: DP Tuner

The stacks story(want stacks?)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2007, 06:55 PM
John311t
Postmaster
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The stacks story(want stacks?)

Im bored, my truck is down for the weekend, and its crappy outside. I figure Ill tell a story about stacks, and how to get them cheap.

First off when I bought my truck the P.O. had put a 5" side pipe on, with gauges and the TS chip. I rolled with it for awhile, the side pipe was awesome and was nice to smoke out the ricers. I never wanted stacks, or a toolbox since i wanted my 8ft box. Then I seen them, and seen them and seen them, and they grew on me. Then I figured what the hell, i got 3 trailers, a snowy trailer, a bike trailer, and a car hauler, so if i need to move anything i got the trailers. The day last year when my trans decided to puke, My buddy picked me up, he had an 01PSD at the time, and just installed some 6" mitres. I asked him what he did with his old stacks, he still had them and I offered him a trade of an Edge EZ for the set of 5" Turn outs i used to have on my truck(they are sitting in my garage awaiting me to find something to do with them). he took the trade and 2 days later, i had me a set of stacks. The only problem, there was no piping, it was just the chrome stacks.

A buddy of mine worked for a mobile semi repair company. He had contacts with a place called Auto-truck around here. They sell all the big rig stuff, and I called him to tell him i needed piping. We figured out what i needed and wrote out a list that looked like this....

3 5" elbows
10' 5" pipe
2' 5" flex pipe
5 5" band clamps
3 u bolts
Total cost : 180$

Cool, so that day we go to put the parts together. I check the EGTS before we started, because if you note, there is no T in that section. If you wanted to buy a T it was 100$ more at the time. I do everything cheap but good, so i opted away from that option. We were going to make our own, and i check my egts before hand to see if they change.

We first measured where i wanted the stacks, then we went through and cut the first piece of pipe that size, and slid on the 2 90* elbows on both sides. He tacked them into place, and we sat around for about an hour thinking about making the T. Finally we just decided to drill the hole in the bed, and mark the middle of where the T needed to be. Then we made 2 45* cuts into the pipe, leaving the mark at the top so that it was formed like an upsidedown V. Then we took another piece of pipe, and cut it to go directly inside that V. We measure the distance between the exsisting exhaust, and the T in the bed. Then welded it all together. Then proceeded into sliding on the flex on my old 5" pipe that was already on the truck, and installing the elbow. Then we bolted down the T pipe without the actual stacks installed, before we realized we messed up. The elbows he got were od and id, (basically one slide over the pipe, the other gets slid into the pipe), and now the stacks would not go on, since the big part was on the bottom welded to the T pipe. So after everything was hooked up, I wasnt about to fill my box up with smoke, and also have a goofy sounding truck. So what did i do? I band clamped the stacks to the elbows. Talk about not secure. This setup worked well until one day....

I was driving home after a bad day, I was hammering down the back roads, and taking out the abuse by driving like an idoit. When all of a sudden, my exhaust sounded funny, I look behind me, one of my stacks fell OFF! I stop my truck get out and look the right stack was gone! This did not make my day any better. I jump in the back of my truck and fall, because i tripped on my stack that fell off. Talk about lucky, that thing could have easily fallen off the side and onto the road. Instead it fell into the back of the truck, without a band clamp attached. So I throw the stack in my truck and drive home. Now wondering, do they make an adapter to make it to i can slide it over my elbow, and slide the stack inside?

I was talking to the person i bought my stacks from, and i asked him about it, he said yeah they make those, i got 2 if you want them. I took them and installed them with U-bolts so they can never come off! Sweet, what a stupid mistake that was using u-bolts to hold the stacks on....

I then decided I was sick of turn-outs, they looked too small on my truck, and I wanted a new look. So i take off the stacks and run a dumped flex pipe. A few members on here were insterested in my stacks, and someone almost went through, until i decided i better take apart the stacks to ship them. Those ubolts DO NOT allow the stuff to come apart easily when used on pipe. I ended up scratching the crap outta them, and denting one were it attached. I did not want to sell them anymore, since I didnt want to sell something that looked like that. So now im out the stack sale, and I want my new ones. What to do?

My buddy goes on to tell me later about a place called chrome depot in ohio. He got some 7" bull haulers cheap for his truck. I said why so cheap? He said they are seconds, meaning they are not 100% perfect. So i go analyze his stacks, and couldnt find one thing wrong with them. He goes yeah good luck, i can't find anything either. So I asked him, how much for a set of 7" mitres 36". He calls and gets a price of 300$. Never been installed on a truck! I get them ordered, and 2 days later they came. I look and see a small scratch in the back on one, and the only way i seen it was because they circled it. I then wipe off the circle and I couldnt tell the two apart. They looked fine to me. I install them with my old T-piping. I look and it looked good. Stuck out the top about 2-3" and was spaced perfect!

Oh yeah the EGTS, and the smoke since i made my own T pipe. The egts didnt change, i did not see one change in my egts at all. The smoke comes out of both stacks, the same amount at the same time. I got pictures, and videos if you want proof(actually IDK about pictures but i gotta a video).

So the cost of my final stack setup....
200$ for the first list(the coupler from my buddy i ended up givin him 20$ which he later bought beer with and we drank), and 300$ for the stacks. 500$ for a set of 7" mitre cut stacks. I dont know what the going rate is for stacks, nor do i care. I did most of it myself with the help of one friend.

If you have innovation, you can do this. For stacks cheap, look up Chrome Depot, they are located in Ohio, ask about seconds. Get the piping from a local heavy duty shop, and get to work. Total time It took to making the piping was about 6 hours. Workin slow NOT to mess anything up(and we still did kinda). I just wanted to let people know since some of us can't afford everything we need to make some stuff ourselfs.

Well, if your still awake, and this post hasn't wasted your time, your welcome, if you read it and want your 5 minutes back, sorry no refunds lol.

Old 08-24-2007, 07:36 PM
RAMPAGE_F350
Posting Guru
There is truely something to said about doing it yourself! Good job!

Old 08-24-2007, 07:40 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
nice story John !!!

Old 08-24-2007, 08:26 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
IIRC I inquired about those, but you told me someone beat me to it. Wondered what happened. Glad you didn't rip someone here.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:31 PM
John311t
Postmaster
I couldnt rip someone off. I only wanted for those turnouts, the price i had into them, since they were in good condition before i screwed them up, oh well. The person who wanted them was interested, i had shipping all ready and everything, but i wanted to get them into a small box instead of one huge U shaped object, thats where it all went to hell lol.

Old 08-24-2007, 08:35 PM
Tenn01PSD350
Post Fiend
You know what I mean, it's all good, and a testament to your character.

Old 08-24-2007, 09:00 PM
ron's power stroke
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
good job john i enjoyed it