New Super Duty V-10 owner questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2002, 12:30 PM
FarmSuperDuty
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Howdy all,
Come Saturday, I'm going to be a new superduty owner. Ok, well a used superduty owner... 99F-250 4x4 SC SB V-10 XLT. I've read all the pages in the history of the bbs to try to acclimate myself to the trials and tribulations of the superduties and v-10s, but as a new owner, I'd like to start by asking the question: "What do you know now that you wish you would have known when you first bought the truck?"

I've read about the flutter problems, the auto tranny cooling TSBs (not entirely sure about it, but I'm got a decent handle), and have read the debates over which oil to use...what other things should I know?

A bit about me: I currently drive a 95 F-150 4x4XLT with a 300 I6 in it, and years ago, I used to be on this bbs as "straightsix." If you frequent other bbs', you may know me as FarmJeep, from my other love, my 77 CJ5. Thanks for any advice or info you can offer!

Old 02-19-2002, 08:18 PM
NoMo
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Congrats on your (soon) purchase!

My first SD was a '00 F250 4x4 Supercab w/V10 & 4.30 gears.
My second SD was a '01 F350 4x4 Crewcab w/V10 & 3.73 gears.

A couple of common complaints for '99 were that the trailer-tow (TT) mirrors didn't telescope out, the TT lower convex mirrors were not adjustable, and the cupholders really stunk. Ford "fixed" all these things plus added some power to the engine for the 2000 model year.

My '00 had flutter- annoying but no big deal if you can tune out the noise that makes you think the engine is "pinging". The '01 has a re-designed "Y-pipe" that eliminates flutter at the cost of some performance. If you really hate flutter, you can install this "new" pipe.

The tranny cooling TSB was to change the radiator so the tranny fluid went through it before going through the air-to-oil (aka auxiliary) cooler. If your truck hasn't had the TSB performed, you can replace the OEM cooler with a larger one.

As far as oil, you're lucky. Use the 5W-30 that was recommended for that model year. I really like Mobil 1.

Old 02-19-2002, 09:24 PM
Monsta
Sit. Stay.

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

"And that's all I got to say 'bout that"
[font size = 0]Forrest Gump[/font size]

Excellent reply from one who definantly knows, Farmsuperduty!

Welcome to the site & congrats on your new truck!

Old 02-23-2002, 02:19 PM
350R
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts