Ford vs The Competition Technical discussion and comparison ONLY. Trolls will not be tolerated.

F150 vs. Tundra

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2007, 12:43 PM
Corleone
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
F150 vs. Tundra

A few weeks ago I got some great help from this site on the value of a used F150. I got some great advice and decided to look at new trucks. For the price difference, at least here (I live near Seattle), a new one might be a better deal.

I started out looking at '05 and '06 F150 supercrews and later looked new trucks. Given that I was looking at new trucks, I felt that I should consider the new GMC and the new Tundra as well. I've always been a fan of Ford and really like the looks of the current truck - also, I think buying a Toyota is a bit of a sellout. However, at least on the surface, the Tundra is quite nice. I've seen the comparison on this site of the two but I'm honestly not sure what to make of it.

There are two drawbacks to the Ford, in my view. 1) the interior storage is much better on the Tundra; and 2) it is underpowered relative to the Toyota.

I'm sure there are no shortage of opinions on this - hopefully, some of you will share those opinions.

Old 08-19-2007, 01:09 PM
SUPERDUTY_untouchabl
Posting Guru
What are you going to be doing with this truck? If your gona need it for what a truck is supposed to be used for then hands down i would go with ford. But if your gona use it as a grocery getter and race from stoplight to stoplight every now and then, you should go with the tundra. O and i think hands down the ford is much better looking. but thats just my opinion.

Old 08-19-2007, 03:11 PM
rockstate45
Posting Guru
I drive an '07 Tundra with the 5.7l V8. It's a BEASTLY truck from the stoplight to stoplight as well as working. I've put over 2000 lbs in it and it wasn't even close to it's bump stops. The brakes, acceleration, and handling were all there with a yard of dirt in the back.

The new F150 was my first choice but was ruled out for the lack of side airbags. I'm a die-hard Ford guy and am contemplating getting a '79 Bronco for off-road useage where I am at now. I came from a '98 Expedition that gave me 142K miles before giving it up to my little brother.

If you want the power of a truck that can do 0-60 in 6 FLAT or a quarter mile in as fast as 14.3 (is what I've seen, truck trend says like 14.9) then get the Tundra. It can do everything the Ford can do, while maintaining a fast truck. For instance, with 1200lbs in the back I could outrun my brother's V8 4runner to 60 if need be. If you want a truck that is known to be reliable and is the best one out there, get the F150

I'm still partial to the styling on the F150 but the Tundra's styling is growing on me, because I own one. It's also kinda nice to see a new Tundra every once in a while as opposed to 10 every 5 minutes.

Good luck with your decision and let us know how it goes. You can PM me if you want more info on the Tundra and I'll be glad to help you.

-rockstate

Old 08-19-2007, 03:34 PM
osteodoc08
Senior User
Well, there are a couple of things you may not have noticed:

1. There are 2 Tundra 4-door trucks. The first being called a DoubleCab. This is no more than an extended cab truck with a rear door. If you plan on stuffing anyone back there, I hope they're small. The second being the CrewMax. It is larger than the rear of a Ford Supercrew. It is also harder to find right now due to limited availability.

2. Incentives. Most imports are not known for giving huge rebates and incentives like the domestics. However, they are known for low interest financing to try to offset the difference. However, I got 72 month financing for 1.9% with almost 10K in savings on my truck. I'd like to see Toyota and Nissan do that.

3. A new design. It is a BRAND NEW truck. I'm sure Toyota has done thier homework, however, rest assured that there will be a host of small problems that are common to the first 2 years or so of production. I never buy a new design. I like to wait until it is at least in its 3rd year of production before buying. I have a 2006.

4. Parts. It is easy to find replacement parts for the Ford. Most parts can be found at the auto parts store down the street. What about the new Yota?

5. Insurance. I find that the domestics are cheaper on insurance. When I was shopping I looked up the 2006 Ford, Nissan, and Toyota. The Ford was cheapest for me. YMMV.

6. Dealer network. There is a Ford dealer on every corner. This may or may not matter to you. Since I'm not super close to a big city, the nearest Toyota stealership is over 40 mins away. The Ford stealership is 5 mins down the street.

Regardless of what you decide, I wish you the best.

Old 08-19-2007, 04:12 PM
NASSTY
Cargo Master
Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts
The Tundra can do anything the F150 can do, and look ugly doing it.

Last edited by NASSTY; 08-19-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 08-19-2007, 05:23 PM
mik369
Senior User
lmao...Just waiting to see.

Old 08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
()smoke()
Junior User
from what little i've seen of the tundra, it's a nice pickup! i don't think either would be a bad choice

that being said, my f150 has done everything i've asked, including hauling 2400 lbs of brick in the bed (still 2" from the bumpstops!)--i felt plenty of power and acceleration and wouldn't need more unless the payload were substantially higher

getting 15.5 in town and 18.5 highway with trips over 20 mpg makes it hard to dislike the ford, as does the 16 mpg flat-towing my jeep 700 miles into new mexico and back

all in all, i'm impressed with what the f150 can do as a '1/2 ton' pickup!

i don't race pickups, and if i needed that much more power to pull something, i'd feel better in a 3/4 or 1-ton anyway, so for me, the tundra's speed doesn't spark any jealousy

i feel like the f150 hits the practical limits of a 1/2 ton with towing and payload capability, so it does everything i expected and more

good luck with your decision!

Old 08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
EstevanKingRanch
Senior User
i have a 07 screw..5.4 with the stock 20"s...its pretty slow..but its a very reliable truck..
i raced a 5.7 tundra crew max yesterday and it smoked me pretty bad...wanna race buy the tundra....

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM
F250Wildman
Senior User
I would still worry about the Toy's breaking camshaft's. I would give it atleat a year.If I want to run redlight to redight I get in my wife's '06 Mustang GT.

Old 08-20-2007, 07:02 AM
toypuller
Senior User
I test drove a Tundra Crewmax Limited and it is an awesome truck. It had tons of power,tons of room and comfortable as heck. Drove smooth and quiet and had every "creature comfort" possible in it.

That being said I wouldn't buy an 07. I learned from Ford to stay away from new model years.

Love my Fords and I have always driven the Blue oval. I currently drive an 05 F-250 and beat on a 95 F-150. I have never driven a truck I like to drive as much as my F-250. I hope the bean counters at Ford look closely at the Tundra and realise they need to innovate and improve to stay in the game.

No senceless bashing just an honest opinion.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:04 PM
champ7718
Junior User
I can't believe what I'm reading on this thread. If you guys like the Toy o **** than why aren't you all driving one. Like the article posted to this website demonstrated; besides the fact that Toyota put a larger engine in their "beast" it had considerably lower quality components all the way down to the nuts and bolts. That coupled with Toyota's deteriorating quality standards (i.e. recalls) and Ford's improving quality stats (most recent the LT Mark winning highest quality pickup truck) I would question anyone who would put money into a Toyota. Sure if you want a truck that was designed to "look" like a ford with a bigger engine but has crap for inards than buy a Toyota. If you're really into racing than get a freaking supercharger for your ford or simply buy a car instead of a 2 1/2 ton pickup truck. The ford trucks are some of the highest quality trucks on the road and despite everyone's gripes about "not enough power," I've never encountered a situation where I needed more.

Old 08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
nimrod1
Freshman User
Bravo...
I agree the F-150 is a truck...It's made to work hard and last a long time...I've seen the difference in a fully boxed frame and the Partially boxed like the Tundra. Ford puts bigger bolts in the truck...Don't be fooled. The Tundra frame delectes more under load that the F-150. If you want to do zero to 60 in 4 seconds....get a Shelby GT 500! I don't understand these guys who want to accelerate to warp speed in a truck that wieghs in at nearly 6000 pounds...It ain't going to happen...Besides, it's torque that you feel when you step on the gas....The F-150 has 365 pounds...and most of that is from 2000 RPM up.
Look at the torque curve on the Tundra...It develops most of it's torque at higher RPM. The F-150 has more torque idling than the Tundra does at a 1000 RPM! It's because of the variable valve timeing.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM
joshreed
New User
I bought a new Tundra Double cab SR5 4x4 about 2 months ago. After the first 500 miles, the driver's seat was loose in the seat track. I took it in to the dealer, and they told me that a new seat wouild cost $4000.00 and that they would have to get it approved by a Toyota warranty rep. He looked at my truck, and told me that he would do a product review on the seat and if Toyota recieved enough complaints, they would probably issue a TSB to repair it. He told me that this process could take a year or more. I can not stand loose or rattling interior components, so I asked the dealer to buy it back from me if it couldn't be fixed. They offered me $11000.00 less than the truck stickered for less than 2 weeks earlier. I went to my local Ford dealership and traded it in for a 2007 Super Crew Lariat 4x4 (that is perfect) and got more for my trade in than Toyota was offering me. I will never recommend a Toyota to anyone, due to poor build quality, rough ride, and poor customer service.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:35 PM
cv67cheng
Senior User
Take a look at how the tow hooks are installed, then look at frame assembly which uses rivets and flanges vice through pieces and welding, softer ride = softer work truck.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:50 PM
joshreed
New User
Originally Posted by cv67cheng
Take a look at how the tow hooks are installed, then look at frame assembly which uses rivets and flanges vice through pieces and welding, softer ride = softer work truck.
Wrong!

I never said that the Ford had a softer ride, I said that it has a better ride, as in more control. The Toyota bounces over rough roads, whereas the Ford seems to feel more in control.

Quick Reply: F150 vs. Tundra