Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Starter, Alternator And Water Pump Life Spans

Old 08-15-2007, 07:39 PM
photomac
Junior User
photomac is starting off with a positive reputation.
Starter, Alternator And Water Pump Life Spans

With my faithful 2003 Ex 7.3 PSD now in "middle age," at 147,000 miles

I'm starting to wonder about what everyone's experiances have been with regards to how long a life span they've gotten out of the starter, alternator and water pump.

The reason I ask is that even though it will be reduced to a lighter drive schedule next year, down to about 15,000 or so miles a year and PRIMARILY hauling our 33' travel trailer...I'm getting a car that's a little easier on my knees and back for day to day driving.

We WILL be doing some extended camping trips and I wouldn't want to have any of these go bad on the road. Thus, am thinking of "pre emptive replacements.

Thoughts?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:07 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
My water pump went out at a little over 100k. I now carry a spare. My alternator went out at about 170k or so. My starter has well over 200k and still kickin. I also carry a spare fuel pump.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:12 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Keep in mind that reduced driving might make the parts wear out faster. With that said, on my 02 350 alternator went bad at 215,000, fuel pump was changed at 225,000 but that turned out to be an electrical short (main engine wiring harness), starter and water pump still original at 230,000.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:14 PM
JMac444
Senior User
JMac444 is starting off with a positive reputation.
You will do a waterpump anytime after 100K i have seen it time and time agian at work. As far as the starter and alternator all depends how you are on them. If you are running lots of accessorys all the time that hurts them. If you have duals then it takes the strain off one but still. Its a long shot to say on the starter or alt. Ive seen them last all differnt times. Depends whos taking care of it and driving it. If you are constantly in the cold cranking expect that to kill your starter lol. See all the differnt factors. Figure you could be due or could go a while lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:20 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
My water pump started seeping and was changed at 200K, Still on original starter, and my first alternator went out at 125k (I run alot of electronics) the next went 50K,(175Ktotal) and the next one went at 45K( 215K ttl miles) Then I got smart and instead of the lifetime warrantied remanufactured alts. I made them replace it with a NEW, not reman alt. I am at 245K now(30K on this alt) and seems to be doing goood.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.