Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How much fuel can you get in your tank?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:32 PM
ispurlock2000
Freshman User
ispurlock2000 is starting off with a positive reputation.
How much fuel can you get in your tank?

I thought the extended cab short bed trucks came with a 29 gallon tank but my last two fill ups I have put in 29.5 gallons and felt like I could have put in a little more but wasnt sure if it was bad to overfill to much. Both times I filled up within 20 miles of the fuel light coming on. Is it normal to be able to get more fuel in the tank than the listed size or am I wrong about the size of my tank?

Old 08-15-2007, 04:36 PM
Pocket
Pocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputationPocket has a superb reputation
Yep it's normal. I've put nearly 32 gallons in one time.

If you harpoon the tank, it's much easier to completely fill it up. You'll find that Ford "rates" it for 29 gallons, but it holds more.

www.7point3.com - there's a link under common mods that will get you started on the harpoon mod if you are interested.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Fat Diesel
Postmaster
Fat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud ofFat Diesel has much to be proud of
I have put in as much as 32.5, all the way to the brim.

Old 08-15-2007, 05:11 PM
sideshow
Elder User
sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.sideshow is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
when i did the hutch/harpoon mods, i put in ~3 gallons that i pumped out. then i pumped 31.5 more in at the gas station. and NONE came out the overflow. today, my fuel light had just come on (i usually don't let it get that low) and put in 30.5 before the pump clicked off.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:53 PM
yamaguy
Posting Guru
yamaguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.yamaguy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
One day I was in an unfamiliar area and had to push it to make it to the next exit that sold diesel. As I was rolling up to the pump the truck started to sputter so I killed it and rolled the last 20 feet to the pump. I was able to put 39.5 gallons in before the pump kicked off!

Last edited by yamaguy; 08-15-2007 at 06:57 PM.
Old 08-15-2007, 07:02 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yamaguy, you have a long bed tho right ? Long bed fuel tank is bigger

Old 08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
HKusp
Post Fiend
HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.HKusp has a spectacular reputation.
Well I was at about an 1/8th of a tank by the guage this evening and I pumped 22.839 gallons in and it was spilling on the ground at the end, even after letting it sit for 30 seconds or so....dammit.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:11 PM
TNT in Round Rock
Posting Guru
TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.TNT in Round Rock has a very good reputation on FTE.
Jason is your tank hutched and harpooned ?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
I filled my 38 gallon tank with 40 gallons a couple weeks ago. I didnt know the fuel needle could go that low lol.

Old 08-15-2007, 09:29 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
44 gal tank. Filled 47.8 gals

Old 08-15-2007, 09:32 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Im just curious, how many miles do you get per tank aklim?

Old 08-15-2007, 09:37 PM
aklim
Post Fiend
aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.aklim has a very good reputation on FTE.
Towing an 8500# Toy Hauler I get anywheres from 9.5-11. depends on if the wind is with me or against me or what. Cruising at 85 I get about 16.2 with the 80 Econon tune. Of course, my meter says 23.8. If I am cruising, I can get about 660 before the wife squawks about filling up. Me, OTOH have run it to 700 and pull into a gas station with it choking.

Old 08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
jtharvey
Post Fiend
jtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to alljtharvey is a name known to all
I've stuffed 42 gallons into my 38 gallong tank. When I put the new fuel system in, we drained the tank bone try. Put 7 gallons in from the fuel cans, drove 2 miles to the station, and topped it off with 35 more gallons. Tank has been harpooned.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.