Notices
1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

just bought a 99 f250 power stroke!!!!!!!

Old 08-13-2007, 06:10 PM
hamflex
New User
hamflex is starting off with a positive reputation.
just bought a 99 f250 power stroke!!!!!!!

Hey everyone, im new to the forum and i am just looking for some info about the truck i bought and what came on it!

first off i bought a forest green 1999 f250 ext cab, short bed turbo diesel 4x4. The truck has 186,000 miles on it and its in pretty good condition. Its more miles then i wanted to start off with but i picked it up for $9,000 so i couldnt pass it up.

Im just curious about the truck, things i should watch out for, how good the motor and tranny are, problematic areas....so on and so forth....

Now the truck came swith some mods so ill let ya know what the are and tell me whats up with them....haha, im not new to the turbo world but im a virgin diesel guy!

Ok the truck has 5" turbo back exhaust, a turbonetics turbo upgrade (1.0 a/r), superchips micro tuner programmer, intake, Now im not sure on the company but its a little **** that apparently increases oil pressure in coilation with the injectors making them increase flow which inturn increases power? This is what the guy told me and im not to sure about it. When its cranked up the truck does pull a little harder and the thing pisses twice as much black smoke! It also has some sort of shift kit

Im using this truck to primarily tow my race car so what do you guys think? anything i should know. or i should tell you about the truck to further my own knowlage of it.......THANKS A TON

Old 08-13-2007, 06:14 PM
Johan01
Senior User
Johan01 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Welcome to FTE!!

You sure did get a good deal on that truck, good job.

You're going to hear a lot about the DP tuner...I don't have it, but from all the hype about it I want to order one.

There is a lot of info inside this forum so when you get some weird questions try doing a search and a load of info will come your way.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:24 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
Welcome to the boards. Sounds like you got a heck of a deal. Congrats and hang around and you can learn tons about you new truck.

Old 08-13-2007, 06:47 PM
F350-6
Post Fiend
F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Originally Posted by hamflex
Im just curious about the things i should watch out for, how good the motor and tranny are, problematic areas....so on and so forth....
Welcome and congrats on the new truck. I think most here agree the weak point on this truck is the CPS (Cam position sensor) Stop by your local ford house and pick up a spare for about $25 or shop at one of our sponsors and you can probably get it for around $15.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
mndiesel
Postmaster
mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.mndiesel has a great reputation on FTE.
If I were you I would change all the fluids right away, That way you start out fresh and you know where the truck stands. I have the same truck except mines a long bed with a few less miles. Welcome aboard!!!!! This site is the best, hands down.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Texas Outlaw
Not a liberal...
Texas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant futureTexas Outlaw has a brilliant future
Welcome to the forum and to the world of Power Stroke Diesels.

Get ready to have some fun.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:19 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of
Welcome, glad to have you aboard.

first, I didn't see any mention of guages, this will definatley be the first mod you need to do. with an upgraded hair dryer and an 18K mod(thats what the little twisty **** is basically) as well as a tuner your going to want to know what is going on in that engine. Exhuast temp guage (should see no more than 1250 to 1300* for short amounts of time. tranny temp guage, should run no hotter than 200* whiloe towing the race car. need a boost guage to see what that new TN is putting out.
If you see a term you don't understand anywhere on the forums just ask.
There are no stupid questions

Old 08-15-2007, 06:07 PM
hamflex
New User
hamflex is starting off with a positive reputation.
thanks everyone. Yeah the truck does have an EGT gauge. No boost or tranny temp yet. And i flushied all the fluids so everything is looking good. Anyone know off hand some mpg's i should be looking to get??? By far the biggest truck ive owned and most fun!

oh yea, what does this 18k mod mean??? aka to me as the "twisty ****"....LOL

Old 08-15-2007, 06:42 PM
driximus
Posting Guru
driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.driximus is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
that is just a resistor, I would replace it with a DP-Tuner chip. Jody can customize the programs you want for the mods on your truck. Congrats on the truck you gonna love owning a Diesel.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:46 PM
zx250
Of the next Riffraff East
zx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant futurezx250 has a brilliant future
thanks everyone. Yeah the truck does have an EGT gauge. No boost or tranny temp yet. And i flushied all the fluids so everything is looking good. Anyone know off hand some mpg's i should be looking to get??? By far the biggest truck ive owned and most fun!

That pretty much depends on how heavy you foot is and how much fun you are wanting to have. One thing I and others here have learned, if you keep the rpms below 2000 you will see better mileage. The lower you stay the better it will be. You will see folks post mileage ranging from 10.5 to over 21 mpg. I don't log every entry and calculate, compute, analize and stress over all the others mpgs like others folks here (Gene), but I gonna guess some where aroun 13.5-15.5 would be about average. I doubt you will get much better until you get the newness worn off.
Have fun.

Old 08-15-2007, 06:58 PM
bdrummonds
Post Fiend
bdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud ofbdrummonds has much to be proud of

Read this thread https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/6...hlight=18K+mod

Hope this helps

Old 08-15-2007, 07:00 PM
John311t
Postmaster
John311t has a good reputation on FTE.John311t has a good reputation on FTE.
Damn, yeah you got a deal. Welcome to the forums.

Get a trans temp gauge asap. Since you are pullin with it, your trans temps could get high, and led to death of trans. They are a weakpoint in the truck. That and a cps sensor, get rid of the superchips and the happy ****, and get a chip from dp. Youll be amazed. A boost gauge will help later on if you have problems with low power. if you have low boost, ya gotta leak etc. etc.

My truck on average i would have to say get 13.5-15, but im on 36"s so that makes a difference. Im still in the average group but i could only imagine it being higher if i had stock tires. I get 14mpg mostly, but if im going for vacation, its goes up to 15. If Im being stupid and blowin smoke everywhere i get 13.5.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - About Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.