VetNet A forum dedicated to ALL Veterans... their unique needs and wants. A place where Veterans old and new can discuss their problems and find the help and support they are looking for.

Who here is a member of a veterans group?

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 08:27 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Who here is a member of a veterans group?

After reading all the posts on who was in the service and did what or where, it got me to wondering. Are all of you veterans members of a veterans organization such as the American Legion, VFW, VVA, etc? I am a district commander for the VFW in WI and I am doing my best to keep the stereotypes down about old men and drinking.
If you arent a member of one of these groups, why not? I know a lot of our Vietnam vets were shunned by the older generation because it "wasnt a war". And they still carry that with them to this day. But in reality, we need all the generations, from young to old to keep these groups alive. With our current situation, we have young troops coming home that need our assistance in transitioning back to a life they left, and many more going back for 2nd, 3rd, or even 4th tours over there.
So lets here it guys and gals. What groups do you belong to and what prompted you to join? I joined because I felt it was my duty as a veteran to make sure that ALL veterans are taken care of.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 PM
rangerfan
Posting Guru
I'm a member of a VFW Hall, and I'm only 32. I joined because me and my step-dad go there and eat fish on fridays for Lent so why not join so we can drink cheap beer all year? It made sense to us anyway.

I also belong to a the Legions. Don't go there as much as the VFW Hall. Too many old women that hang around at the Legions for me.

Last edited by rangerfan; 08-11-2007 at 08:44 PM.
Old 08-11-2007, 11:40 PM
Gorilla1
Senior User
I'm a member of the VFW but have not attended a meeting here in a while. I joined the VFW probably 8 years ago while stationed in Nebraska. We used to go there often for lunch and to kick back with some of the older vets.

I am also a member of the Air Force Sergeants Association. Membership for our chapter is large (around 1200), but meeting attendence usually around 20. It's mostly active duty that make it since the meetings are held on base during duty hours. Guarenteed to be at least one retired guy there, and I usually make it unless I am in school.

I am also a fairly new member of the DAV. Our DAV Chapter is not a bunch of partying old men. I think there has been issues in the past, but the current leadership has brought the DAV back to what it stands for, and that is taking care of our disabled vets. At 43 I am probably the youngest vet who fairly regularly attends the meetings. I definitely have the best hearing and if you ask my wife, that isn't saying much We meet at our local Senior Center so no beer or any alcohol is brought in. Besides, if it was chances are there would be nekked old ladies dancing on the tables after a while. I don't think I am ready for that...

Rich

P.S. I will soon be joining the American Legion Riders motorcycle group.

Old 08-12-2007, 12:05 AM
Fordlover55
Still kicking!!

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
I'm a life member of the VFW, but I still don't want anything to do with them or the VA. The only reason I still get meds from the VA is because they're cheaper than anywhere else.

I'm proud I served and where I served .. but that's where it ends. I don't need Vietnam rubbed in my nose by any old fart or any old drunken fart arguing the Marines are best or the Army's best or whatever.

We used to all be brothers. Then we came home.

Old 08-12-2007, 11:29 AM
BPofMD
FTE Legend

Received 1,097 Likes on 997 Posts
Dues paying member of American Legion and Fleet Reserve Assoc, but not active. I won't drink and drive, so I don't go in. Drinks are too cheap there so I don't tempt myself. I do my drinking at home. I have rented the AL hall for birthday parties and weddings tho....

Old 08-12-2007, 02:35 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
Originally Posted by Fordlover55
it I don't need Vietnam rubbed in my nose by any old fart or any old drunken fart arguing the Marines are best or the Army's best or whatever.

We used to all be brothers. Then we came home.
I honestly dont see that around here. I know it happened in the past, but I believe the old farts have finally pulled their heads out of their rear and realized that the Vietnam vets did the same thing they had done and endured just as much. As for who is better; who cares? Its a big sibling rivalry. We all did our part as much as the next guy and I think its kinda fun to go back and forth as to who is better. We all do it in gest.
You should check out a meeting sometime. You might be surprised as to what things have changed!

Old 08-12-2007, 08:46 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

I belong to the American Legion. I stop by the nearest Post every now and then for a beer. The regulars are a bunch of local kids who hang out as "guests" but have never been in a uniform in their lives. Guess the post needs their business.

Old 08-12-2007, 10:34 PM
Buzzman
Senior User
I was drafted in 68, discharged in 70 and joined the VFW a few years back. But shortly after, I starting receiving requests for money or contributions, so I never renewed my membership. It was like joing the NRA...same sort of activity. If they had a decent post with a men's bar on the way home, it just might have been different.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:04 PM
Idaho
Senior User
I did 4 years Navy, and then another 6 years Army National Guard.

I went to Desert Storm, got my medals, got my service-connected disability.

I have no desire to spend any more time with my fellow veterans. I found the majority to be foul-mouthed, ignorant, obnoxious drunks.

I made a couple of life-long friends during my service, but unfortunately, most of the enlisted joined because they couldn't get a job inthe real-world.

Old 08-13-2007, 07:37 PM
Mil1ion
New User
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
The Royal Canadian Legion

and

The Army, Navy & Air Force Club of Canada ( A.N.A.F.)

Old 08-13-2007, 09:08 PM
STXDriver
Junior User
I'm a member of D.A.V. and 100% disabled Vietnam veteran. RSVN 68/69 USASOPC.

That's a pretty disrespectful comment there Idaho. What was the reason you joined?
That was an unfair statement because you couldn't have possible known most of the combat veterans.

Last edited by STXDriver; 08-13-2007 at 09:23 PM.
Old 08-13-2007, 09:46 PM
78stepside429
Senior User
Thank you STX! I am appalled by that statement. It really sounds like he just sat around playing video games and is looking for any excuse to badmouth the vets that did something different to occupy their time. I have news for you Idaho, I joined because there were no jobs around here, unless I wanted to dink around in a factory for the rest of my life. Screw that! I opted to get out of Podunkville Wisconsin and see the world. I am foul mouthed when I wanna be, I am obnoxious when I want to be. I am just an outright *** when I feel like it. Do I do it all the time? Nope, actually I am a fun loving guy that hardly lets that side come out.
I guess as I see it, you were the kind that didnt do squat to have any fun and critique those that did. We all come from different walks from life, and if you feel the urge to bitch about how foul the service is, that is your right, but you of all people should know that the military is not a kind, gentle place.
And last, to all the vets out there, Welcome home my brothers and sisters, I will always greet you with open arms regardless

Old 08-13-2007, 10:49 PM
Gorilla1
Senior User
It's too bad you feel that way Idaho. I rather enjoy the time I spend with my fellow vets. There's a certain connection there that the commoner does not have and does not understand. I don't hang out at the Halls and drink like mad with the old guys, but I certainly do respect them. I am a also a Gulf War vet, but I am not a "there I was" story teller. I know who I am, I know what the Air Force made me and I am damn proud of my service and so thankful for those who went on before me and continue to go. I would be honored buy a beer or other cool drink of choice to the likes of STXDriver, StepSide, Nitramjr, and Dennis as we sit and remember those of our friends who are no longer here...

Rich

Old 08-14-2007, 03:53 PM
Idaho
Senior User
Originally Posted by 78stepside429
I guess as I see it, you were the kind that didnt do squat to have any fun and critique those that did. We all come from different walks from life, and if you feel the urge to bitch about how foul the service is, that is your right, but you of all people should know that the military is not a kind, gentle place.
Didn't do squat to have any fun??

How on earth did you come to that conclusion??

I sat around and played video games??

I don't recall ever seeing a video game on my ship. Of course, back in the late `80's, video games were still a novelty.

Did you even go on cruise? If you did, I'll bet you millions that you spent most of your port time in a McDonalds or in a bar.

Am I right?

I had port call in Dubai at least 3 times, and only once did I actually eat in a Western establishment; Pizza Hut if I recall.

I went out and saw the sights. I ate at local places, with local people. Most of the guys in my shop got off the ship, went straight to a McDonalds, then straight to some bar, or *****house.

What kind of stories do they have for their kids now? "Well Billy, I was in the Navy and went to the Persian Gulf during Desert Storm." What was it like?? "Uhhh, it was hot, but they had a McDonalds, and they had at least 27 varieties of beer!" Wow. Great memories.

I went to the Philipines and owned that place. The FTN bar, Tailhook, etc. I drank gallons of Mojo and had my fun, but I also went other places. Of course, Mt. Pinatubo had just blown when I was there, so we couldn't go anywhere except Olongopo City, and just a few square blocks.

So don't accuse me of having "sat around playing video games and is looking for any excuse to badmouth the vets that did something different to occupy their time".

I joined the Navy to serve my country and to see the world, and to get over a broken heart, which I did.

I just happen to have noticed that a large number of my fellow sailors and soldiers were not exactly the kind of people I would trust with my car keys, nevermind my life.

My son accompanied me to the VA Medical Center last week. As we were walking around, he commented; "Geez, dad, this is worse than Wal-Mart. There are a lot of creepy people here."

He was correct.

The simple fact is that a large percentage of the sailors, soldiers, and airmen that have served or currently serve are scummy people.

There is a growing problem in our armed forces right now with gang members among the enlisted.

There are valid reports of MS13 members getting military training and tactics in the service, then getting out and bringing their knowledge to the streets.

Yet some here seem to think that every human that served in our armed forces is some kind of hero above reproach when the truth is something entirely different.

Pull your heads out.

Old 08-14-2007, 04:10 PM
Nitramjr
Postmaster

Originally Posted by Idaho
Most of the enlisted joined because they couldn't get a job inthe real-world.
That's the funniest thing I have heard in a long time. I enlisted instead of taking several schools up on scholarships for Engineering programs. I was 17 when I first swore into the delayed entry program so in one regard you are correct, my prospect for a good job were limited with only a high school diploma. In four years, two Meditteranean cruises and untold other excursions to various parts of the Western Hemisphere, I got some damned good schooling, some great training and some incredible experiences. Very few of them involved a McDonald's but yes, there were many that involved alcohol. So what? It was a legal and accepted way of relaxing after several weeks or more at sea doing 18 hour days. And for a little variety, I volunteered in the Deck Department since they were so short handed and doing port/starboard duty (in port!). I got certified on the small boats and was probably the first and only AG2 in the Navy to drive the officer barges, the 56' crew boats and on occasion the Captain's gig.

Since discharge from active duty 19 years ago I have finished a bachelor degree in Civil Engineering, partially completed my Master's and have been very successful. I am still in the Reserve's (enlisted still by choice) and am damned proud of what I have done, wherever I have been.

Pretty good for someone incapable of finding a real job on the outside....

Quick Reply: Who here is a member of a veterans group?