Competition Diesel racing, sleds, dynos, power tuning and max performance.

6.0L Lost Oil Pressure at Track

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 12:35 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
6.0L Lost Oil Pressure at Track

So, she was taking off like a raped ape on a run like I've never felt her before. Switched on the Water/Meth at about 60' got a good boost, then kicked in the NOS and she lite and just started to scream, then about half track she was making a God aweful whining noise and at 2/3 track lost oil pressure. She coasted the last third and still got a 14.6 run. She cranks fine, but no oil pressure at all. My guess is I baked the LPOP gears or broke the STC fitting. Question is, if the STC fitting breaks, does it leak oil? I didn't lose any at all.

Old 08-11-2007, 08:42 AM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it won't be anything to major. Did you do other runs with no meth or spray or was that your first pass down the track?

Old 08-11-2007, 09:37 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Dsl_Burner
Sorry to hear. Hopefully it won't be anything to major. Did you do other runs with no meth or spray or was that your first pass down the track?
I made three other passes, but they really SUCKED. ROFL I need some serious practice learning to boost launch with the new turbo. She's REALLY slow to lite, but once she does, it's hard to control at the light. I'm sure with some practice, I'll get it down in no time though. Well, after we get her fixed at least.

BTW- I forgot to mention, I still smoked the Duraturd next to me coasting the last 1/3 of the track.

Old 08-11-2007, 06:53 PM
Powerstroke_wannabe
Posting Guru

I believe the STC fitting is internal and will not cause an external oil leak when it breaks. I don't recall anyone that reported an STC or HPOP problem citing an external oil leak. I think that's why it can be difficult to diagnose. If you're not getting any oil pressure at all, I'd lean toward a LPOP problem.

By the way, 14.6 ET coasting the last 1/3 of track is quite impressive. Too bad I'm on the East coast. I'd like to see your beast make a few passes.

Old 08-11-2007, 07:33 PM
bogginf350
Senior User
I have a strong feeling you lost your lpop gears.

Old 08-11-2007, 10:11 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by Powerstroke_wannabe
By the way, 14.6 ET coasting the last 1/3 of track is quite impressive. Too bad I'm on the East coast. I'd like to see your beast make a few passes.
I'd like to see it make ONE good one right now. ROFL

Yeah, the best I'd run before some of these major mods was a 13.7. She was pulling WAY harder than that pass. It was actually work to keep her going straight!! If it is the LPOP, then I may go with the billet gears. That way they'll hold and I'll blow the STC, then fix it right, then blow the HHPOP, and fix it right. LOL It's a never ending battle I guess. BUT, it's danged fun!!

Old 08-16-2007, 09:45 AM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
Any news?

Old 08-17-2007, 10:43 AM
6L PWR
Postmaster
SHE'S ALIVE!! Yep, just LPOP gears. Here's a couple pics in case you've never seen them.

First is the cover. Located behind the balancer:

Second are the gears. Yeah, the inside one is supposed to be joined together where the gap is. Oooops.

Old 08-17-2007, 12:29 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
And she's going back under the knife. Never though about the fact that no oil pressure means the Turbo bearings have no oil. Ain't that freakin' great!! Blew the turbo too!!

Old 08-17-2007, 12:33 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
Most of the people I've heard of this happening to were running the fluidampr and went back to the stock one to stop it. You might send Weweld a PM and ask him what he did to stop his LPOP carnage, although he might have gone to billet gears.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:43 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
Most of the people I've heard of this happening to were running the fluidampr and went back to the stock one to stop it. You might send Weweld a PM and ask him what he did to stop his LPOP carnage, although he might have gone to billet gears.
Already been there and done that. Clearancing the gears a bit. Radius both front and back side just a touch and a little less than a thousandth off the teeth. Of course, I found that out AFTER we'd already gotten the new ones in. Biggest issue in mine was overreving. The RPM limiter cut the fuel off at 4150, BUT the Water/Meth and NOS were still being injected and she went to 4500-4600 and popped them. When they popped and the turbo had all that boost, the boost went back out the intake and back spun the turbo on it's way.

Or, that's the theory of the moment.

Old 08-17-2007, 03:53 PM
npccpartsman
Hotshot

Received 68 Likes on 42 Posts
LOL--I guess "Granny" really got lucky that she only tweaked a rod a bit---sideways--and it didn't come loose and go through the block. Just rat-a-tat-tat on the crank throw. PM rods and PM gears just don't like those kind of rpm's, huh?

Old 08-18-2007, 12:59 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Originally Posted by npccpartsman
LOL--I guess "Granny" really got lucky that she only tweaked a rod a bit---sideways--and it didn't come loose and go through the block. Just rat-a-tat-tat on the crank throw. PM rods and PM gears just don't like those kind of rpm's, huh?
They'll learn to when Matt's done. I've been giving him yet a few more ideas to work on. I can't figure these things out, but I gots idears!!

Besides, I'm a freakin' cook, not a mechanic!! ROFLMAO I like to consider myself the fastest cook in Missouri!!

Old 08-20-2007, 09:02 PM
6L PWR
Postmaster
Well, I don't have to worry about losing the LPOP's in this engine again!! Woo hoo!!

We got the stock turbo back on today and took her for a test drive. Pulled out on the main road, got to 5 pounds boost and BOOM! Put a rod through the block!!

So, we're going to find out just how good this spare 2004 engine I bought is. We're going to keep the performance intake, the exhaust, the return regulated fuel system, the FASS 150/150, the Banks Intercooler and the ARP Studs.

Already sold the NOS system and the Water/Meth that I just installed. The 64mm Turbo is shot to crap. Still got the 2006 Turbo to put on the 2004 engine.

Bummin'!! I knew it was gonna hapen one day, but didn't think it'd be this soon. Well, I learned a lesson and soon as I can work some engineering things out, we'll soup her back up even better. I'll be in my third childhood about then!!

Old 08-20-2007, 10:35 PM
Dsl_Burner
Senior User
Sorry to hear about your bad luck. Of course it happens when things are just gettting fun. Hope the "new" engine works out for you.

Quick Reply: 6.0L Lost Oil Pressure at Track